table foods and gagging

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Super Mommy
I have just started trying to give Luke tiny bites of soft food while we eat dinner and every time he gags and then won't take anymore than 2 bites. A few times he has even thrown up. He even gagged and threw up with mashed potatoes. He does fine with pureed baby food. Sometimes I thicken it with baby cereal and he does fine unless it is too thick.

I keep seeing a lot of pics with little ones eating finger foods and was wondering if anyone else has had any troubles? I never had this issue with my girls but Luke seems nowhere near ready for finger foods.

April 26th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Jackson gags a lot on finger foods, too, and he's also puked up from the gagging. It's why I've mainly just fed him purees. When I give him puffs or yogurt melts, he would often gag on them (even though they dissolve in his mouth). Honestly, it's only been in the last week that he's handling them better and swallowing without gagging. So perhaps Luke just needs a little more time.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
April 26th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Cam gagged a bit at first, and he eventually learned...Luke might just need a bit more time. Can you put stuff on the tray on his highchair so he can put it in his mouth himself? I found that helped Cam, he had control and it also helped him realize when his mouth was full.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
April 27th, 2013, 11:40 AM
JesusisKing's Avatar Veteran
AJ's the same way! I keep comparing him with my girls n other babies, but they're all different I guess. It's more than once, that we had to grab him out of his chair 'cuz of the choking noises he was making.
April 27th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Super Mommy
I've thought about putting some food on his tray for him to pick up but I haven't done it yet. I've been worried that he would really choke on this if he's gagging on mashed potatoes. I guess I'll just have to give it some time. It always amazes me how totally different all of my kids can be.

April 27th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Connor's still gagging on anything but purees so I know he's not ready. I try maybe once a week or so to see if he's interested but if he doesn't want it yet I don't push. Soon enough he'll be raiding the fridge and eating everything in sight!
April 27th, 2013, 05:41 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
Oz gags sometimes, usually on a new food or texture. Sometimes if somethings really slimy it bothers him (like avocado) though he sometimes eats it with no problems at all. I don't really know what causes the reflex.

Pinterest
Flickr
April 28th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
tuckr has been getting table foods and finger foods for a few months now, but at first he gagged on everything pretty much, but not so much that he chokes or pukes. but i usually let him clear it if he is gagging. he was never eating without me having my full attention on him. i found letting him gag a little (when he was interested and ready in the food) helped him learn to clear his throat himself. helped him get better tongue control. now he doesnt really gag much at all, here and there he will try putting to much in his mouth and gag a little but he gets it taken care of before i can even reach out my hand to him.
this kid can put stuff away too. like he shoved an ENTIRE nilla wafer cookie in his mouth and i was curious to see how he did and the little bugger chewed up the dang thing and swallowed it while babbling to me without even batting an eyelash.
gave me a heart attack and i was hovering 3 inches from him the whole time lol.

his doctor did tell me awhile back when we were fist getting him started on solids that if he doesnt take interest and actually want to put things in his mouth to eat than he wasnt ready. he told me that pretty mcuh once their pincher grip was in good practice and they used it to pick up things and put them in his mouth to start giving him more to actually chew.

April 28th, 2013, 10:45 AM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
Paxton is really good with those baby cookies, peas, carrots, and potatos but it's all pretty soft. He gagged on the Puffs and didn't like the melts. He did get too big of a piece of cookie the other day and actually choked. Bobby scooped him up and flipped him on his belly while patting his back and he coughed it up. Scared me a bit but it hasn't happened again. He is getting his teeth now and has the pincer down so I'll probably start giving more things to try.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search