Advice on Weaning

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By one.juniper
  • 1 Post By Jessimaaka
  • 1 Post By Sherry777
  • 1 Post By MosaicWife
  • 1 Post By Mountain~Mama
  • 2 Post By aubers68
  • 1 Post By MosaicWife

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2013, 06:03 PM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm really beating myself up with this decision, and I'm still not 100% sure I'm committed to actually weaning but the thought is becoming more and more desirable. I feel really selfish in my decision but I think it's time. I had high hopes of making it to 1 year but I just don't think it's going to happen. With the weather getting nicer and us being out and about running here and there nursing on the go has been tough. Summer hates being under the cover and it's not always easy to find some place to "hide" to nurse since I'm not really comfortable nursing without my cover. (I've tried to be but I'm always so paranoid of someone saying something to me and not being able to stand my ground... or even paranoid of gawkers) I know that I've came pretty far and I should be proud and not worry about it so much but it's so hard not to feel like a "failure" (I know I know I'm not, but its easy to feel this way when you had a goal in mind and you're "giving up")

Anyhow, any advice/tips would be great. I know I should wean one feeding at a time, but it's kinda weird since we don't really nurse on schedule. I'm so unsure of how much formula to give as well. I don't really know anything about formula... can you make it in advanced? If so how long it is good for? What if I make a 6oz bottle and she only drinks 4oz, are the other 2oz wasted or are they still good? Would it need to be refrigerated or can it be at room temperature at all?

April 28th, 2013, 06:39 PM
afwifey09's Avatar proud momma to Ava Kay
You can make it 24 hours in advance and keep it in the fridge. It's good for 1 hour out of the fridge, you really shouldn't save extra formula that she doesn't eat, but I do if its a lot (like 4+ oz when she fakes me out on being hungry).
April 28th, 2013, 07:20 PM
1fabulousfem's Avatar Mommy to Finn + 1!
It is good for 24 hours and once you take it out of the fridge it's fine at room temperature for up to two hours if baby hasn't drank from it. Once baby drinks from it then it is good for a period of an hour.
A good trick if you are going out is to buy a formula compartment dispenser and fill bottles with water, that way nothing goes wasted.

April 29th, 2013, 05:20 AM
Mom to Madeline
Ditto what the other ladies said. I rec mixing in the Dr. Brown pitcher (it's good for 24 hours), and filling bottles as needed so you dint waste too much in the beginning. Then, you'll have an idea how much to fill each bottle after a week.

Once baby has touched the nipple, the formula has 1 hour left. It cannot be out back in the fridge after the one hour....you have to toss.
April 29th, 2013, 07:32 AM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
I don't think you should feel guilty at all! I can't imagine how hard it would be to not be nursing on a schedule - Oz nurses 5 times in a 24hr period now and always at the same times which makes my life so easy. If he was just nursing whenever still I'd be going bat **** crazy!
aubers68 likes this.

Pinterest
Flickr
April 29th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
You are in no way a failure! She's 9 months! Nothing else to add. Do NOT beat yourself up! You need to do what is best for you too.
aubers68 likes this.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
April 29th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
You've done a great job, and you should be proud.

I think the other ladies answered the formula questions well. I just wanted to give you hugs and support.
aubers68 likes this.

April 29th, 2013, 09:48 AM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
Yep, you're a failure. You completely failed at being a crappy mommy.

Anyway, the other ladies are the bottle experts so I have nothing to add but to repeat wean SLOWLY. You don't want to end up engorged, in pain and risk getting mastitis. It might take a few months but doing it slowly is worth it.
aubers68 likes this.

April 29th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
hugs Aubrey. You are a fabulous mom, no matter what. Don't feel like a failure. I wish we lived close so we could NIP together. I was nervous with my first but by now I almost LOOK for public placed to feed Sarah!

I have to just because I think I'd go nuts if Sarah DID feed on a schedule. I'm too used to randomness I guess.
aubers68 likes this.

Last edited by Mountain~Mama; April 29th, 2013 at 02:22 PM.
April 29th, 2013, 02:23 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
i've definitely had my moments with wanting to wean.... but you are SOOOOOOO CLOSE!!! 1 yr is right around the corner~

April 29th, 2013, 02:24 PM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
After talking to Summer's pediatrician today I think I'm going to be half weaning LOL

We're going to nurse in the morning and at night and throw in a couple bottles throughout the day. So this way it will definitely be a very slow process and I won't feel so bad about it.
Sherry777 and Mrs.Julie like this.

April 29th, 2013, 03:00 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
that sounds like a pretty good compromise. Less stress on you, but she still gets the benefits of breast milk.

April 29th, 2013, 04:12 PM
1fabulousfem's Avatar Mommy to Finn + 1!
You can eliminate one nursing session every few days. That way it is easier on you and Summer!

April 29th, 2013, 05:22 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
It sounds like you have a good plan in place, and definitely don't feel guilty about it!
April 29th, 2013, 08:16 PM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
Quote:
Originally Posted by aubers68 View Post
After talking to Summer's pediatrician today I think I'm going to be half weaning LOL

We're going to nurse in the morning and at night and throw in a couple bottles throughout the day. So this way it will definitely be a very slow process and I won't feel so bad about it.
I was going to suggest this but didn't want to be nagging you about it when you seemed to have made up your mind. I think that's a great idea. That way your supply won't completely dry up and you can still offer that comfort that she's used to.
aubers68 likes this.

May 1st, 2013, 10:45 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
No advice to add, but you have done wonderfully to breastfeed for so long, and this sounds like a good decision for you. I'm sure it will go much more smoothly than you think.

May 1st, 2013, 11:42 AM
Mrs.Julie's Avatar Mommy to 3 Princesses
I WISH my kiddies would wean before 1 year!!! I cant get them to if I try LOL. Anywho, I read some Swiss study they concluded at about 8 months the baby has received near maximum benefit breastfeeding...And in conjunction with the fact that most Mommies don't nurse at all....Don't feel guilty! You've done great!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search