OT Springfield, MO (possible move opportunity)

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By aubers68
  • 1 Post By mama4life
  • 1 Post By mama4life
  • 1 Post By Mountain~Mama
  • 4 Post By Mom2JDub
  • 2 Post By Pixie Dust
  • 2 Post By 3littlepiggies
  • 2 Post By aubers68

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2013, 08:20 PM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I was wondering if anyone is near Springfield Missouri or if anyone knows anything about the area? Hubby has a possible job opportunity and I'm so flipping nervous about moving. He keeps asking me what I want to do and I really don't know. I'm a pretty shy person and I'm super nervous to pack up and leave all our friends and family, especially having a baby now. It's not even a for sure thing but it's something that has been mentioned to him and it's something he wants. I'm so nervous just thinking about it!
Mom2JDub likes this.

May 2nd, 2013, 04:51 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
That sounds so exciting! I obviously know nothing about the area, but I hope things work out for the best for you.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
May 2nd, 2013, 07:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We travel through Springfield several times per year. I know only a few things. Missouri, as a whole, is great. Of course there are good parts and bad parts to every city. The main drag in Springfield is....interesting. It is not my favorite area. For a city thats not a big city, its pretty active at night in that you see quite a few people walking from homes to stores and out and sbout in the middle of the night. I have had several friends live there and they say the housing is very inexpensive, but it might be good to look into the reasons why. It is a college town, lots of Christian universities in the area. My sister in law lived there during college, and she ended up liking it, but I don't think she did at first.
I wish I had more to offer,but I only know it because we stop there every time we visit my family in Oklahoma. So we are there usually six times a year, but only to stop and eat or grab something from a store. W have also been to their bass pro. Fr the most part, it has a small town feel.

I think another mom here is from that area. Trying to remember if its that area or closer to Kansas City. What company would your dh be working for.....I am curious where in the city you would be looking to live in. I ok now down closer to the mall is nicer than the area that I described above.
aubers68 likes this.

May 2nd, 2013, 07:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
And totally aside from the actual place, I just want to say that we moved away from everything we knew to be where we are now, and it has actually been great for our marriage and family. It has pushed us to rely on each other more and strengthened our marriage in the process. It's not easy, but eventually you find other families you like and trust....it just takes time. Our church family has been such a rock for us here, and they have cared for us in ways that our blood family didnt even do when we were near them. That's not a knock against family as much as its just a testimony to God taking care of you wherever he is leading you. If God wants you in Springfield, he will open all the right doors, financially and emotionally and you will have a peace about it, even if that peace can't be explained.
aubers68 likes this.

May 2nd, 2013, 08:04 AM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
I have been there to visit, and I have friends there. It's a lovely place. It does have a small town feel, but there are plenty of things to do. Houses cost less, and the area is pretty safe.

May 2nd, 2013, 08:08 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
I don't know anything about it but want to wish you good luck! Hope it works out for the best. (Feel free to send relocating vibes my way I'd LOVE to pack up and head out!)
aubers68 likes this.
May 2nd, 2013, 09:28 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
I'm from Springfield, MO!!! I can tell you all about it! That's where all my family still is, and I'm going back to visit in June.

It's a great place to raise a family. Obviously, some parts of the city (like anywhere) are better than other parts. Some schools are better than other schools. It's as large as it is (probably close to 200,000 population if you count the suburbs) mainly because it is both a college town and a manufacturing town. Its downtown has really gone through a revitalization in the past few years. There's not as much "to do" as larger cities, obviously, but it's a really great mid-sized city. You're also only about a three-hour drive from both Kansas City and St. Louis. And Branson is closeby, so tourism is another big industry locally.

I could definitely answer any specific questions you have about the area. And if you're really seriously considering moving there, I can try to steer you in the right direction regarding housing, schools, etc. Some of the burbs might even be the most appealing to you.

And if you move there, we could hang out when I go back to visit.

Last edited by Mom2JDub; May 2nd, 2013 at 09:36 AM.
May 2nd, 2013, 12:44 PM
Pixie Dust's Avatar Veteran
I just wanted to add to the moving part.... My dh and I moved several hours away from where we both grew up about 6 months after we got married. I can honestly say it was the BEST thing we ever did for our marriage. After our move we developed couple friends instead of each of us having our own set of friends. And our new friends were actually people we were like because we meet them though a common interest instead of just being people we went to school with or grew up with.

I'd vote for the move. You can do it!
aubers68 and mama4life like this.

Thanks Vicki... for my siggy!

May 2nd, 2013, 07:25 PM
Super Mommy
I live about 1 1/2 hrs for Springfield and I like it. For us, Springfield is the big city we go to when we need major health care and big shopping. My oldest dd was born there and I take my kids to a pediatric dentist there.

It is easy to get around and has a small town feel. The people are friendly and you would have no problems making friends. There is an expanding airport, 2 great hospitals, good schools and colleges, shopping, entertainment, lots of churches and jobs. The rent and gas prices are reasonable. The main downside, in my opinion (from people I know), is that it isn't easy to get a great paying job with good benefits. Seems to be a lot of minimum wage to $9 an hr jobs with no or not much benefits. If you are in the health care field, there are plenty of jobs. This is just my view. For anything else you need, it is only a 3-4 hr drive to K.C. or St. Louis.

Good luck on whatever you decide!
aubers68 and mama4life like this.

May 3rd, 2013, 05:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama4life View Post
I think another mom here is from that area. Trying to remember if its that area or closer to Kansas City. What company would your dh be working for.....I am curious where in the city you would be looking to live in. I ok now down closer to the mall is nicer than the area that I described above.
It would be for O'Reilly Auto Parts corporate headquarters
Mom2JDub and mama4life like this.

May 3rd, 2013, 08:56 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aubers68 View Post
It would be for O'Reilly Auto Parts corporate headquarters
My aunt is a supervisor in accounts payable there. She loves it.

May 3rd, 2013, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by junie22 View Post
My aunt is a supervisor in accounts payable there. She loves it.
My husband might know her!! What's her name?? (if you feel comfortable enough telling me anyhow)

May 4th, 2013, 05:14 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Of course I have never been but how exciting Aubrey!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search