Tantrums?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By MosaicWife
  • 1 Post By one.juniper
  • 1 Post By ufmelissa824
  • 1 Post By Mountain~Mama
  • 1 Post By yrlilangel
  • 2 Post By MosaicWife
  • 2 Post By Sherry777

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Cylence's Avatar I'm a Toys 'R Us kid
So, recently, Taryn has started throwing huge fits when she gets frustrated (like, this morning, she couldn't reach one of her toys and started screaming bloody murder) or when we take something from her, or if one of us walks away... and most irritatingly, her diaper changes.

WHAT in the world?! Anybody else? Is this an age thing? A growth spurt thing? Is there something I can do to minimize this at all?
May 4th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Mrs.Julie's Avatar Mommy to 3 Princesses
Yes! And Kata has been the happiest, most laid back baby I've ever had...still is mostly. But last few weeks has had some knock down, drag out tantrums mostly over wanting something and not getting it.
Oh! And in my experience you can't do much about it. They're not doing anything "wrong" so you can't punish. Ignore or try to soothe or redirect is all you can do. And yes! Trying to change diapers is a struggle!

Last edited by Mrs.Julie; May 4th, 2013 at 09:03 AM.
May 4th, 2013, 09:59 AM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
Not yet. When Paxton gets frustrated he makes a whiny/groaning sound and swings his arms but no real tantrum. He only throws a tantrum when he's tired and wants me to pick him up and I walk by him or put him down for some reason. Then he falls back on the floor and twists, kicks, cries and tosses his head back and forth. I agree with the redirecting and soothing. They're so small and they can't control their emotions at all yet.
Cylence likes this.

May 4th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Yup. So far though, he's relatively easy to re-direct...but each time its a bit harder...he's very persistent and curious!

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
May 4th, 2013, 04:31 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
Yes. He even tries to fling his whole body backwards while he is having them. I usually just ride them out, I find they only last like 30 seconds before he gets distracted (except diaper changes which last until I am done changing him and put him down to crawl). If I see him going for something I don't want him to have, like into an open cupboard and I shut the door he loses it!
Cylence likes this.

Pinterest
Flickr
May 4th, 2013, 07:06 PM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yup, Miss Summer has a little bit of a problem with the word no... sometimes she still tests me and others she will throw a huge fit.

May 4th, 2013, 07:54 PM
ufmelissa824's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh yeah, we're going through the same thing here. Emily throws tantrums during diaper changes or when I buckle her in the carseat or pretty much when I make her do anything she doesn't want to. She also gets pretty whiny when she's frustrated, hungry or tired.

The other day she started whining while I was making her a bottle and my younger sister, whose PG with her first and is completely clueless, was like "Can't you do something about her whining?" I just laughed and told her to wait and see what it's like. It's not like I can reason with her yet. I just say "Emily, one minute please..." in a firm but patient voice.
Cylence likes this.

May 5th, 2013, 04:23 AM
HippieLove's Avatar Modern Day Brady Bunch
Send a message via MSN to HippieLove
Harper is a total drama queen and gets stroppy when not getting her own way. Is there anything you can do? I don't know honestly. It's just an age thing I think and not much you can do to stop them other than responding to their wants as quickly as humanely possible

Emma, girlfriend of Loz, future step-mama to J (15) and K (10), Mama to Jaelah (8), Oliver (5), Mianna (4) and Harper (2), WTTC our first together, in 2015.
May 5th, 2013, 04:42 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
Sarah is a drama queen too.
Cylence likes this.
May 5th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Super Mommy
Abby has one every time I tell her no (she usually obeys though, so that's a plus). We tease her about her red-headed temper but I don't think there's much you can do.

Thanks Lucy S for my siggy
May 5th, 2013, 06:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Aubrey usually throws them during diaper changes and getting dressed. It takes two people to get her dressed. She screams like someone is torturing her.
Cylence likes this.

Thank you Vicki for my wonderful siggy.

May 5th, 2013, 07:11 AM
I hate that you guys are going through it, too, but I'm so glad I'm not alone. Anybody know when this phase will end? I miss my easy-going child lol
May 5th, 2013, 10:29 AM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
End? Hahahaha! It just gets worse. I'd say around maybe five years old is when kids stop throwing on the floor screaming, kicking fits but then they start screaming and slamming door fits.
Mom2JDub and Cylence like this.

May 5th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Oooooooh hell
May 6th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
Not yet. The only issue I have is the car seat: she loathes it. When I get in the car with her and she sees the car seat, she does her impression of an ironing board and cries. I literally have to make her bend to get her in it. She really does not like being buckled in anything- even her new convertible seat. As far as any tantrums, she generally gets what she wants at this point. I am sure it would be different if I were home alone with her, and she didn't always get her way.

Part of it sounds like separation anxiety. The rest is just how she is communicating. Babies cry to show us they are not getting what they want. It's totally normal, and she's totally adorable.

(If you want to see a fit, I'll let you borrow my 10-year old when when she's having a bad hair morning.)
Mom2JDub and Cylence like this.

May 7th, 2013, 06:06 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
Yep, Theo is starting to get angry and frustrated lately too.
May 9th, 2013, 07:55 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Yep, Hannah too. A lot of hers is just not wanting to be set down. If I have to lay her down for a minute to stir supper, deal with another kid, go pee, whatever, and she doesn't want to be sat down she SCREAMS. But, she's usually fine again as soon as I pick her back up, or put her in the Ergo (depending on what I'm doing).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search