Sleeping. Or not sleeping.

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2013, 01:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm at the end of my rope with this sleeping stuff. Caleb is up 10 or more times a night again. His waking is disrupting the entire house. He's not just happy with a boob and going back to sleep. Tonight he was crawling around the bed yanking on my nipple. Then he woke my daughter up. And I couldn't get her back to sleep because he wouldn't go to sleep, or even be content on his own. Here it is, 4am and both kids are wide awake. DD slept through the night at 3 weeks, I have no idea how to deal with this, but it's making me crazy. I have considered night weaning, but how the heck do I do that with out him keeping the whole house up every night?? This has been going on way too long. He was STTN until 4 months, and it's getting worse instead of better.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
May 6th, 2013, 04:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You are all sleeping in the same bed? I can't remember, sounds like it from your post?
May 6th, 2013, 06:26 AM
Mom to Madeline
I recommend reading SleepEasy. They have night weaning techniques, sleep training (no cry), and CIO. But, yes, you can expect the house up for about a week. However, I'd rather have 1 week instead if it continuing.
May 6th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We are still co-sleeping. Mostly because I can't function with him waking up 1000 times a night. We've tried putting him in his room or his crib.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
May 6th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
im no help. tuckr has been getting bad too. up 80 million times a night to eat and play. he slept through the night a good 10 to 12 hours a night! and now the little butt head will wake me up 8+ times a night to eat and play and just to cry in general

May 6th, 2013, 10:49 AM
ufmelissa824's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good to see you back Jennifer! I've been wondering what little Caleb was up to.

Night weaning may help. We co-sleep too and Emily finally started STTN when I weaned. Of course she was only up 1-2 times before that so I don't know if it would help with frequent wakings.

It got to the point that when she was waking and looking for the boob, I could tell it was more for comfort and out of habit, then it was out of hunger. So for the first few nights after I weaned, I just kept a formula dispenser and a 4 oz bottle pre-filled with water by the bed and when she woke up, I would give her a bottle. She would only drink 1-2 oz and then go back to sleep. After a couple nights of realizing she wasn't going to be BF'd, she stopped waking up. A paci probably would have worked too but Emily won't take one

She does still occasionally stir and fuss for a few seconds when she transitions from deep sleep to light sleep, but all I have to do is pat her or put my hand on her chest and she goes right back to sleep.

Last edited by ufmelissa824; May 6th, 2013 at 10:54 AM.
May 6th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
We bed share and are nursing as well.

We have good nights and hard nights. Pippa slept through the night from 6 weeks until almost 6 months. Then she started waking up every few hours. At first, I thoght it was just a minor thing and that she would revert back to sleeping all night. She still wakes up most nights, though. Generally I nurse her back to sleep, but not all nights are like that. Lately she is miserable with teething when she isn't wearing her amber necklace at night. She is also learning to crawl. Last week, she woke up at 1:00 a.m. to play and refused to go back to sleep until 5:00 a.m. (Work was fun that day!) She wanted to roll across my bed and get up on her knees and rock back and forth. Generally she wakes me up by resting her cheek on mine and snuggling close to me, and she will go back to sleep pretty quickly once I nurse her. Some nights are not that easy, though.

It's hard to sleep train a baby that nurses on demand and sleeps beside you. Bed sharing and nursing can be such a beautiful thing, but on those hard nights..... it's hard to remember the beauty. I hope it gets easier soon!

May 6th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Blessed.Life's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We were co-sleeping and Micah is bf'ed. I say were because it wasn't until I moved Micah to his crib that he started sleeping more. I had the same thought as you that I will get more sleep if he is in bed with us but we all just sleep so much better not co-sleeping now! Sometimes I will bring him to bed if he wakes up early for a few hours of cosleeping but I would try getting Caleb to sleep in his own crib. The first few nights it took me a awhile to get him to sleep in his crib but once he got comfortable in there it has become so much easier!! He still wakes up at night but I just need to nurse him for a few minutes and he goes right back down. That isn't to say we don't have our hard nights but overall we are all getting so much more sleep now!! Good luck!
May 6th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Sleep is still crap here, and we used to co-sleep. Transitioning him to his crib actually didn't help us. I thought he was stirring and waking me which in turn was waking him...but not the case. He's up just as frequently, if not more in his crib and I am a walking zombie. Since he is almost 9 months, I am considering trying to night wean him (except for one, since around 1am seems to be the one he actually nurses to eat for 5-10 minutes), but even sending DH in to settle him in the past has made him more hysterical. He also has a paci, but it doesn't help.

I hope you start to get some sleep soon and that others have some ideas for you.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search