Is your baby smart???

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree26Likes
  • 4 Post By MosaicWife
  • 4 Post By Carwen*Angel
  • 3 Post By AllyssaM
  • 3 Post By Jessimaaka
  • 1 Post By ufmelissa824
  • 1 Post By afwifey09
  • 2 Post By Jessimaaka
  • 2 Post By mama4life
  • 1 Post By Sherry777
  • 5 Post By Pixie Dust

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2013, 07:10 AM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok so I know this might be a silly question and all babies learn at different paces but I have this huge fear Summer isn't going to be smart. Does anyone else ever fear this? Do you "practice" things with your LO yet or are you just letting them be a baby for now. LOL
My weekly updates mentioned to start reading learning books (like colors, shapes, numbers) now repeatedly and babies can start picking things up slowly. I really wanted to start with little bits of baby signing but I'm so inconsistent. What do you do to be better at things like this? Any stories on how you feel or how you are going about things to help your little one learn. Oh and back to books, I know a lot of you read, I've tried and Summer doesn't really pay attention, she flails her arms and grabs the books making it difficult, any tips on that? I kind of gave up trying because it was annoying *smacks head*

May 13th, 2013, 08:17 AM
1fabulousfem's Avatar Mommy to Finn + 1!
Summer's definitely going to be something and I think she's already smart. Finn clowns around all the time as well. They are at an age where their concentration span is almost nada. LOL!
I read a book to Finn at around the same time every evening. At first he would try to grab the book and turn the pages, you name it and he did it.
I finally found two books that he really likes and I get really animated when reading. He started pointing and chuckling amd he impatiently waits for me to continue with the book. I can tell because he rocks himself on me and gives me this look!!!
What have you tried reading her?

May 13th, 2013, 09:16 AM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
Have you tried reading when she's getting a bottle or nursing? That's the only time my two eldest would pay attention when they were babies. As for the question I think every moment is a teaching moment because children absorb like sponges. You don't need to read a book about shapes and colors, just point them out in the real world when you're interacting. "Oh you have a bowl. The bowl is green. See the spoon? The spoon is green too! Yay green!" Things like that. And Melanie is right about over-emphasizing facial expressions and being very animated. It's something I learned while working with Doc and works well with babies. Of course you can't do that all the time because she needs down time and alone time and time to just be a baby but I think when you're playing together or feeding her or rocking her to sleep are all great opportunities to teach.

Last edited by MosaicWife; May 13th, 2013 at 09:20 AM.
May 13th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I agree with Missa, babies are learning all the time. Michaela likes to be read to sometimes but she loves any form of interaction, and tries to copy us talking or join in with a conversation.

To be honest, I don't worry about whether she will be academically smart or not. We do all we can to help her learn, grow and develop. She will be what she will be. I believe that all children have gifts and talents anyway though not all academic.

May 13th, 2013, 11:53 AM
AllyssaM's Avatar Emmersyns Mommah
I don't do anything special... I talk to my girls like they're people. I tell them what they're doing, where we're going, ect.. If they touch something, I tell them what it is (like Adalyn has been touching the outside of the car when I'm getting her car seat ready, so I repeat 'car'). We listen to a lot of music, sing a lot of songs and read books if/when they're interested. Emmersyn is really smart for her age & always has been, people always ask me what I did. But I didn't do anything special, I didn't stress it, ect. I just didn't dumb things down, either. I guess.

May 13th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
So far just what Missa and Allyssa describe we have been doing (except reading while nursing, I may start doing that!). I figure he'll learn at his own pace, and since he's related to me, he's pretty awesome be begin with lol!
2pinks&ablue, aubers68 and Cylence like this.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
May 14th, 2013, 06:24 AM
ufmelissa824's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Every baby is so different and they're all going to have strengths and weaknesses when it comes to learning so I don't really worry. I do feel bad that I don't spend more time working on learning activities with Emily. I do read to her some and play with some of her learning toys with her but I could do more.

It's so hard now though since she's in this physical mode where first all she wanted to do was crawl and now all she wants to do is stand. I swear, that kid will do squats for hours, trying to work on her standing balance. It's really hard to sit her down and get her to focus on something. I don't worry about her being smart but I do worry that she'll have ADD and/or a learning disability like DH, but we'll cross that road when we come to it.
aubers68 likes this.

May 14th, 2013, 07:53 AM
afwifey09's Avatar proud momma to Ava Kay
I do pretty much what Allyssa described. I have a hard time "speaking baby", how Missa described, so I just talk to her as if she's a silent friend. Haha
Cylence likes this.
May 14th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Mrs.Julie's Avatar Mommy to 3 Princesses
Other than normal life, some of the best developmental games for baby this age are cause and effect. Making a structure, tearing it down. Putting things in a bag or purse and taking it out. Hiding games like a stuffie...keep putting it behind your back then popping it out 3 times in a row, saying "boo"! then the next time make it pop from the other side. That helps math and pattern (yes! These things are already in progress!) and obviously you can switch it up. Math games while eating too. Cheerios counting. Give her only a few then ask if she needs more. Or give her a lot to "count"

May 14th, 2013, 09:20 AM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
Quote:
Originally Posted by afwifey09 View Post
I do pretty much what Allyssa described. I have a hard time "speaking baby", how Missa described, so I just talk to her as if she's a silent friend. Haha
Haha! Yeah I had a hard time doing it too. I never do the whole baby talk thing "Itsawiddlebabywaby." Makes me shudder. But after you've been listening to therapists talk to your child for years you just pick stuff up. It's funny, I'm sure that if you put me and all of Doc's therapists in one room we would ALL sound the same. Bit creepy actually.

May 14th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyssaM View Post
= I talk to my girls like they're people..
This is the most important thing you can do in my opinion. I didn't do anything special with my girls either other than just talk to them and make life a learning experience. Audrey and Sam both are very intelligent and articulate. Audrey has had zero issues starting school this year and I did nothing specifically to get her prepared.

Just love her and play with her, that's all you need to do.
May 14th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I've always talked to Cam as a person...more like carrying on a monologue with myself and asking and answering questions. I used to do the same with Bama, so I was used to it. I used to joke DH would come home and I'd get chatting and be surprised someone answered me
Mountain~Mama and afwifey09 like this.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
May 14th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Super Mommy
Oh yeah, they are learning so much right now, even when you can't see it. I think at this point, spending time together and being plugged in is what matters most....at any age for that matter. Not every mom has the same personality, and that's ok. We, here, are all different, and part of the beauty of it is that maybe that is because our mothers were different. Summer is smart and she will go through so many stages that will just having you in amazement. I am constantly in awe of how my kids learn things without me ever having sat down to teach them. She just needs you and dh, plugged in, and interested in her. The rest will come!
Mountain~Mama and aubers68 like this.

May 15th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
Summer is smart AND beautiful. She'll be a force to be reckoned with.

I explain every little thing I do with Pippa. She loves for George to carry her through the house and talk about what they see. She also loves to have books read to her. Our other kids were not as patient as her, though. Some babies will sit still for story time; some won't. She does take the occasional nibble or taste of her books, but that's okay.
aubers68 likes this.

May 15th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Pixie Dust's Avatar Veteran
Thses ladies have given some great advice.

I have 3 "education" degrees and have taught both elementary and college level classes. I can honestly say that for 95% of my students (whatever age) their level of confidence in themselves is it what determines how successful they are. I have seen super smart kids do awful in school because they doubt themselves and I have seen below average kids do great because they believed in themselves. So, I try really hard to build all of my own kid's confidence. I cheer them on and tell them how great, smart, talented, creative, etc. they are. So, along with reading, counting, colors and the other educational stuff, make sure you build her confidence too!

Thanks Vicki... for my siggy!

May 16th, 2013, 11:53 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I agree that talking to your children like people is so important. If you're talking to them all day long, they're going to pick up something! I also really agree with building their confidence.

As for reading, Hannah gets read to mostly unintentionally as she is usually just sitting on my lap when I read the my other three. Sometimes she actually seems interested in what I'm reading, other times she's more interested in her brother and sisters.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search