Stupid Cloth Diapers

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By mama4life
  • 1 Post By therevslady
  • 1 Post By aubers68
  • 2 Post By Mountain~Mama
  • 1 Post By 2pinks&ablue

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 14th, 2013, 06:43 AM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm seriously to the point I want to give up. When we started cloth diapering we were using BabyGanics with no issues. Until after about 2 1/2 months... my AIOs were starting to stink. So I changed to Rockin Green Hard Rock thinking it would help since I'm pretty sure we have hard water. It didn't seem to help with the stink issue so, I stripped with bleach since it's what BG recommends and started using Tide. Used the Tide with no issues for about 2, maybe 3 weeks. Then Summer developed these red marks, almost like burns, but not like any of the pictures I've seen others post on the co-ops. I couldn't seem to get rid of the "rash", so I started to use the disposables that we had left from the baby shower. Stripped all the diapers in the bathtub with RLR and about 6 or 7 rinses in the washer. Now we're out of disposables and I'm back to cloth. Yesterday was the first day back. Summer was red after her first diaper, which also leaked after her only being in it for maybe 2 hours AND it was hardly wet when I took it off her. She also leaked out of another diaper during the day and then her nighttime diaper. I'm seriously ready to give up. I think the leaks are due to fit, it seems like I have them on right and snug enough but then they leak! I don't know what to do.
On the co-ops some advice says its probably the Tide and others say if it were the Tide it probably would have happened sooner (the rash). So today I am washing them all really good, with the Tide. Rinsing a ton and starting again tomorrow (I found some disposables in her diaper bag). I'm really hoping that I can figure this out. If the rash continues I'm going to say its the Tide... but I'm really hoping its not because the last 2 detergents haven't seemed to work for us either and it might sound bad but I hate this trial and error with freakin detergents!! I love my cloth diapers but I'm almost ready to throw in the towel.

May 14th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Super Mommy
I hate to confirm your feelings but this is similar to my frustrations and why I haven't done much cloth with Vincent. Theoretically, I love cloth. Practicality though...I don't at all.

I was using so many cycles on my HE washer plus so much detergent trying to get the stink out that even the money savings wasn't even a savings for us. All this said...I am sure with enough drive, cloth can work, but as moms we have a lot going on besides laundry headaches, and in my scenario, I just don't have the time to figure it all out plus manage the other four kiddos and take care of the rest of the house.
I hate not to be an encouragement about it. I relate very much to your diaper plight.

Fwiw, every cloth mom that I know IRL, who is happy using cloth, uses a cheapie free and clear from the grocery store, and uses more than the recommended amount of soap. Haven't tried it myself, but you know, fwiw!
aubers68 likes this.

May 14th, 2013, 08:07 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
It sounds like it has more to do with the wash routine than the actual detergent you are using. After 5+ years and 4 bums of cloth, I have come to believe that you can use any detergent under the sun as long as you use the correct amount, completely wash/rinse out ALL of the pee, and completely rinse out ALL of the detergent. For me, that means that I do a rinse with a dash of soap, then a hot/large wash with soap, and an additioanl small/light/cold wash without soap. I take it out, smell it, feel it with my hands, make sure there is zero ammonia smell and zero soap left. If there is any soap left, I send it through an extra rinse. About once a month or every other month, I will wash it and rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse. My routine has been different in every house I have lived in. My diapers are very old and I probably need to buy new inserts. When they were new, I would simply rinse, wash hot, and rinse again.
afwifey09 likes this.

May 14th, 2013, 08:29 AM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My wash routine is, cold rinse (which I'll be switching that to a warm rinse after reading a few articles today), then a large hot wash/cold rinse with 2 tablespoons Tide. Then I will do an extra rinse cycle and hit the extra since button (so 2 extra rinses). My diapers have no smell out of the wash doing it this way, no ammonia or detergent smell. So I thought I had my wash cycle down. But maybe there is a way to improve?? Tide is the only detergent, out of the 3 I've tried that I have had no issues with stink.

I was just telling Cassie on facebook, I JUST realized... the rash started around the same time I started using the Happy Flute diapers, which have a charcoal bamboo inner. So, maybe, just maybe it's that. That was also the first diaper I used yesterday as I LOVE the fit on Summer. So, once everything is clean and the "rash" is cleared up I'm going to avoid the HF and see how it goes. IF it goes well I will attempt a HF and see if that is what causes the redness.
mama4life likes this.

May 14th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Fluffy bums are so cute! Hope you get it figured out.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
May 14th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
as i live in an apartment with no washer and dryer and before that i only had 3-4 diapers so i washed and continue to wash all mine by hand. i have a soak bucket that i let them soak in until there are 4 soaking (i have 8 now) then i hand wash them thoroughly and hang them in the window to dry now that its summer.

I use just cheap great value detergeant from walmart. every month or so i will add 2 teaspoons of lavender bleach and let them soak for 15 minutes and then wash as usual. i have never had an issue with stink but by washing by hand i am able to feel when all the detergent and everything is completely gone. and hanging them to dry in the window i have found helps too. the sun really helps to eliminate and odors that may still be lingering, so maybe you could try hanging on a clothes line? also i really love the smell of things hanging in the wind.

but yea. i wish you luck! i know i have been struggling having had only 2 diapers to start with and having to handwash then toss in the dryer immediatly. then up to 4 diapers when i would dirty 2 then wash and dry. now im able to skip the dryer and wash after 4 has been dirtied. im proud to say i have been building my lot little by little. even one fluffy at a time.

i really hope the rash clears up and you are able to continue to fluffy!!!
also i have found that by handwashing i use much less soap then what i would normally use in the washer. since i just fill the sink and add some soap and wash wash wash. then drain the sink and rinse then refill and add just a bit more soap and scrub scrub scrub then drain and rinse rinse rinse. it takes me maybe 15 minutes to wash and hang 4 diapers. then i promptly bleach the sink and continue on my merry way.

i know hand washing may be to much of a pain but perhaps maybe a good hand rinse when they come out of the washer so you can feel when they are free of detergent before putting them in the dryer???

good luck! sending hugs your way! *hugs*

May 14th, 2013, 01:18 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I started out washing by hand as well in my bathtub. I started with very few diapers as well, and washed by hand up till I had about 12 diapers. Since you mentioned that, it reminded me about what the Rockin' Green Mommy calls "Rocking a soak" and I would let my diapers soak in soapy water overnight to work out the grime. I haven't done that in forever, but it might help me with the old dingy diapers I have now. They certainly need a boost!

May 14th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Que~ thats what i do when he has a particularly nasty poop lol that diaper gets taken out of rotation for the night and i leave it to soak over night in my bucket with soap. its kept my diapers pretty awesome!

May 14th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
I use prefolds (which I wouldn't trade for the cutest of pockets ever). I wash on hot and that's it. maybe I'll add some vinegar if they are stinky but I don't need to do it very often. They do need sunned because they have poop stains but that's not really a big deal.
May 14th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain~Mama View Post
I use prefolds (which I wouldn't trade for the cutest of pockets ever). I wash on hot and that's it. maybe I'll add some vinegar if they are stinky but I don't need to do it very often. They do need sunned because they have poop stains but that's not really a big deal.
Yeah, if I could turn back time, I think I'd have tried prefolds instead. On that note though, is there a really inexpensive way to buy prefolds? I don't really have the time to research it but would love to give them a shot. I would rather skip the research and uncertainty of buying used ones, so new and inexpensive is my preference. Couldn't I just use my pocket covers but with prefolds instead? Sorry for diverting....I don't really need a whole new thread tho.

May 14th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i buy from alvababy. i love my micorfiber pockets. they are my favorite. i have a few AIO's that i add extra stuffing to for night time and naps so he doesnt leak, but i am interested in prefolds. bumping for response....

May 14th, 2013, 04:57 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I gave up on cloth when i had to go back to work, but i was a wizard with diaper laundry lol.

I sprayed the poops with oxyclean, then put them in for a warm wash(with rinse) with 1/4 cup of bleach. Then Washed on hot with a full cup of tide with a double rinse.

Bleach was key for me.

May 15th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama4life View Post
Yeah, if I could turn back time, I think I'd have tried prefolds instead. On that note though, is there a really inexpensive way to buy prefolds? I don't really have the time to research it but would love to give them a shot. I would rather skip the research and uncertainty of buying used ones, so new and inexpensive is my preference. Couldn't I just use my pocket covers but with prefolds instead? Sorry for diverting....I don't really need a whole new thread tho.
I would go to Green Mountain Diapers and get their prefolds Green Mountain Diapers: Prefold Diapers . Sarah is wearing the brown edged right now (which both my big girls wore too.) A dozen is good, 2 is better and yes, you can use a pocket as a cover. Most PUL covers, like Thiristies or Blueberry, can be used for more than one diaper change but MF pockets usually need changed each time.
aubers68 and mama4life like this.
May 15th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Super Mommy
Yes...green mountain, that's the one I remember! Great prices. Thanks! My hubby will flip if I mention that I am thinking of this! I talked his ears off before we bought pockets. Hehe!

May 16th, 2013, 12:02 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I use a combination of prefolds and pockets, and I must say that I prefer my prefolds as well! (Thanks to Mel, who helped talk me into trying them lol)
Mountain~Mama likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search