Am I babying him too much??? 9 Month check up comments

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 7 Post By Sherry777
  • 5 Post By afwifey09
  • 1 Post By one.juniper

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 15th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Pixie Dust's Avatar Veteran
We went to Cetch's 9 month check up this morning and I have mixed feelings....

His weight and length were both fine. 19 pounds, 15 ounces and 28 inches long

Doctor said that at this age, a bottle fed baby should not be waking up during the night to eat. She said it most likely just habit. Cetch wakes up at least twice and drinks 6 ounces each time.

She also said that he should be starting to move from bottle to a sippy cup (and be fully off bottle by 12 months). Both of my other kids were off bottles by 10 months, so I agree with this. However, Cetch hates the sippy cup. He actually will only drink out of the 1 month nipples on his bottle. I didn't dare tell her that he (can but) won't hold his own bottle. We snuggled when he nursed so we just continued that when he switched to the bottle.

I really don't want him to grow up too fast but now I wonder if I have babied him too much with the bottle.

Other than the bottle at night and moving to a sippy cup she said he was doing great on everything else.

Thanks Vicki... for my siggy!

May 15th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
Don't listen to your doctor. You baby him all you want. You absolutely cannot get this time with him back. Enjoy every little second and make him happy. I have older children. The time just flies by.

These so-called guidelines are ludicrous anyway.

May 15th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry777 View Post
Don't listen to your doctor. You baby him all you want. You absolutely cannot get this time with him back. Enjoy every little second and make him happy. I have older children. The time just flies by.

These so-called guidelines are ludicrous anyway.
Thanks! I feel better.

I was just afraid was letting him be too much of a baby... if that is possible

May 15th, 2013, 11:50 AM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
Poo on that. He is a baby of course he needs to be babied. He's only nine months old, he's not even in the double digits yet. He'll do all that stuff eventually, no point in rushing it.

May 15th, 2013, 12:31 PM
afwifey09's Avatar proud momma to Ava Kay
You know, I've been SO caught up with what Ava isn't doing, I was missing what was most important...enjoying her. I'm visiting my in laws and my sil has a just turned 2 year old. He was late with all his physical milestones, my sil thought there was something wrong with him (just as I've been thinking with Ava) and he is now the brightest two year old I've ever seen, not an ounce of exaggeration there. In comparison, my neighbors at home also have a just turned 2 year old. He was early and on time with all his milestones and now he's starting to show signs of autism and worrying his parents to death. Moral of my story? STOP WORRYING!! (Easier said than done cause I'm still trying to stop worrying as well.)
May 15th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Sherry said it perfectly! You snuggle that baby and have quiet middle of the night cuddles all you want! All kids are different and he will do it in his own time. I'm sure he won't go to kindergarten with a bottle

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
May 15th, 2013, 03:01 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
Oh its all hooey. Who cares if he is still using a bottle. Whats the difference between a bottle and a sippy cup anyways. I mean they are essentially the same thing.

I think if he's doing 2 6oz feedings at night he must need it. That's a lot of milk to drink just for habit... that said I do know that we all get hungry at night but adults just sleep through it and it is a good thing to let your tummy rest, but maybe he's growing?
Mountain~Mama likes this.

Pinterest
Flickr
May 16th, 2013, 05:00 AM
Super Mommy
If he were nursing still, you'd snuggle to feed. Also, probably wouldn't mess with a cup much before then either, so I'd take all the snuggles now.

Thanks Lucy S for my siggy
May 16th, 2013, 05:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ignore, ignore, ignore.

Millie still wakes up twice each night and guzzles 8 oz each. To me, that is not a habit, that is a hunger! I know I need to cut it off, but that means she needs to drink more during the day and she refuses. Plus, it's one of the very few quiet times i actually get to snuggle with her since I work all day and my 2 1/2 year old won't let me enjoy her when he's awake.

I agree with being off the bottle at 1 year, it took us 34 sippy cups, no exaggeration, to find one that worked for my son at 13 months. And he still uses it, it has a soft nipple. Am I concerned? Yes. Will he take it to college? Probably not!!
May 16th, 2013, 07:35 AM
HippieLove's Avatar Modern Day Brady Bunch
Send a message via MSN to HippieLove
The girls said what I want to say, ignore them, you're doing just right

Emma, girlfriend of Loz, future step-mama to J (15) and K (10), Mama to Jaelah (8), Oliver (5), Mianna (4) and Harper (2), WTTC our first together, in 2015.
May 16th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Thanks everyone!!!

I have to say that I didn't hesitate one bit last night to grab him out of his crib and feed him his bottle.

I guess I can't help to baby my baby!

May 16th, 2013, 10:58 AM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hate when doctors give parenting advise and act like their opinion should be how everyone else does things. If a stranger on the street said that to you you wouldn't give it a second thought. Cetch won't be a baby forever. If its working for YOU and it's working for HIM then who cares what anyone else thinks.

May 16th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Regular
Ditto to all the above comments. During my LO's 6 month check up I was told he should be eating certain amount of solids by his age. My LO is very moody in terms of eating solids and he is on and off (even now). After his doc's comments, I was dead worried that he wasn't eating anything at all and won't gain any weight. But after reading many comments on the forums, I found out that babies eat whenever they are ready, you cannot force feed them.

After that, I started taking it all easy. Let them do whatever they want to. One fine day, suddenly, they will start doing something else, and soon you start missing the previous ones. So, baby all your precious one you want!
May 16th, 2013, 12:57 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I couldn't agree with the other ladies more! They grow up fast enough! Now is the time to let them be babies!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search