Playpens/baby gates?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Pinkhighheels27
  • 2 Post By 20ghanover
  • 1 Post By Mom2JDub
  • 1 Post By mzshell13
  • 1 Post By Sherry777

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 16th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
Pippa is crawling everywhere now, and she also pulls herself to a standing position and cruises the furniture. It all happened so fast. She was just learning on Mother's Day, and now she's completely mobile.

My issue is that George takes the cherubs to their prospective schools and picks up oatmeal and tea every morning. Generally he leaves while I am still in bed nursing Pippa. He comes back home and picks us up to take us to work and the sitter. Therefore, I have no one to help me watch her while I get ready for work. I used to put her down on a blanket with toys in whatever room I was in. Even though she could roll around, she didn't go far. (I nurse her several times after waking, but I still pump right before I leave the house to make sure I have at least 3 hours before I have to pump again at work.) Now it's really difficult for me to get dressed or pump. I can't put her in the crib because we need to lower it (it will be the weekend before we have taht kind of time); she can throw her leg over the side of it already. She is way too big for the bassinet that is still in our bedroom. I have long toddler rails on our bed, but that isn't safe either. She goes straight for the footboard.

For those with mobile babies, what do you use to contain your baby when no one else can help you out, and you need to do something else? Do you use a baby gate or a playpen?

Our house is never ever completely baby-proofed, and it seems impossible to do so. The other day, she grabbed strands of my hair off the carpet and tried to eat it. It seems like there is always something she can grab no matter how many times I vacuum. My older daughter never went after stairs or things on our "no no" list. Pippa is much like her brother, though. She goes after everything she's not supposed to have, and she's a daredevil.

This morning while I pulled my shirt over my head, she stood up while holding the bassinet, and was purposely swinging her body and head while laughing. I barely caught her before she fell. While I was pumping, she ignored all the toys in the floor and went after the alarm clock cord, my purse, and the pump itself. It was rather comical.

George stated he could run and buy a play pen tonight. What are you girls using? Recommendations?

May 16th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Mom to Madeline
While I'm getting ready I move her jumperoo or walker into the bathroom (while I shower, fix hair, etc). Or, you could put her in a PnP with toys so you can watch her...even if it's in the doorway. While I'm getting dressed in our bedroom I just let her crawl around, but the room is baby proofed.
May 16th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Mrs.Julie's Avatar Mommy to 3 Princesses
I just let her crawl around on the bathroom floors, if I'm in there. I'm lucky the pottys are in their own seperate room and I keep the floors really clean though its a major chore. The stairs are something else altogether, we had to get a gate. It works great. There are sometimes when I wish I had a play pen line when I'm doing laundry, going up and down stairs and closets, kata wants in the closets so bad. Personally though I just won't get one since I know we wouldn't get much use out of it. Sounds like something that would do the trick for you though.

May 16th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkhighheels27 View Post
While I'm getting ready I move her jumperoo or walker into the bathroom (while I shower, fix hair, etc). Or, you could put her in a PnP with toys so you can watch her...even if it's in the doorway. While I'm getting dressed in our bedroom I just let her crawl around, but the room is baby proofed.
I do have a jumperoo, and she wails when I put her in it. She only loves it if I am sitting with her while she's in it, which defeats the purpose.

What all did you do to babyproof? With Pippa, it feels like a padded room wouldn't be enough. It freaks me out when she pulls up on furniture and then lets go.

May 16th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Mom to Madeline
Gates at top/bottom stairs, drawers/cabinets (only those that contain dangerous items), cords (the best I can...it's not perfect), electrical outlets. And I removed all my "pretty" decor from coffee tables, etc.

We have wood floors maily downstairs and M hates crawling on them, so we are in carpeted areas of the house for the most part.
Sherry777 likes this.
May 16th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
we don't babyproof very much. i just close the door to my bedroom, there's nothing that can hurt her too bad (we do use baby gates on the stairwells and obviously we put chemicals away).....but we're a bit loosy goosey i suppose. i heard once when mason was young "brave mamas raise brave babies and scared mommies raise scared babies" and it really stuck with me for some reason. so i try (not always successful) to let them fall and make mistakes and make messes (and then clean them up!)

she did eat a stink bug the other day. that was pretty traumatic for me (not for her!)
afwifey09 and Mom2JDub like this.
May 16th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20ghanover View Post
she did eat a stink bug the other day. that was pretty traumatic for me (not for her!)
afwifey09 likes this.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
May 16th, 2013, 09:58 AM
newmommysarah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got fed up of rescuing Noah from getting too close to fire place so i went online and found a free cot bed, tied the side railings together and then fastened it to the two sofas in the living room to create a playpen the rest of the cot went for firewood

...and baby number 2
May 16th, 2013, 10:01 AM
I'm laughing about the stink bug. Oh my gosh!

Pippa did eat the corner of a book page one morning, and she would not let me get it out of her mouth. She chewed it as fast as she could. I saw it in her diaper the next morning. Ewwww.

May 16th, 2013, 10:13 AM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
I really want to gate the laundry room. Cat litter and a baby. Need I say more? But otherwise I close the bathroom doors and let him go. I think our apt is as baby-proofed as it's going to get since we have Dominic and have had to get rid of a lot of things and rearrange furniture to keep him safe. He mostly stays where the toys are, under my feet or with his big sis.

May 16th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I use the pack and play when he's awake and I want to shower. Otherwise (teeth, hair, makeup, etc.), I let him crawl around my room...no outlets visible, no cords. He just cruises the bed, or opens and shuts the drawers for DH's underwear and socks.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
May 16th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Blessed.Life's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I usually put him in his crib so that doesn't help lol. Sometimes he hates the crib though so I have the upstairs pretty baby proofed, namely the bathroom and his room so I can close all the other doors and shower ect while he crawls around and plays.
May 16th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have sectionef my livingroom in half. The whole back half is totally baby proof and full of his toys and he can't get out lol. I set him bsck there or in his pnp. I would be csreful about which gates you buy. I have just a standard wood framed one woth plastic gaing inside and tuckr loves to cling to it and rock himself bacl and forth while standing. Well he has fallen a few times which has resulted in scraped fingers :/ but mine is just a cheap gate. I wou lf lool for the all plastic ones that has smooth rounded edges for gating so as not to scrape little fingers.
But for the record my small pnp is a life saver. I can tote it anywhere and plop him in for a bit to get stuff done worry free

May 16th, 2013, 05:05 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
We have baby gates and a playpen and I can always put him in the crib if I have to. I actually need more baby gates. Sigh.

If you don't have a playpen or you don't want one or she's not keen on it I would just rope her off with baby gates.

Pinterest
Flickr
May 17th, 2013, 05:42 AM
mzshell13's Avatar Super Mommy
I have a baby gate for each set of stairs- it's heavy duty and isn't going anywhere. She crawls around on the floor while I'm getting dressed, pulls up on the bath tub and watches while I give her brother a bath. I do have this

Amazon.com: Baby Kids Playpen 8 Panel Play Center Safety Yard Pen (Jbw-8 Model): Toys & Games

but I just rearranged our playroom and use it to keep Mel out and away from LJ's train set. I guess I have 2nd baby syndrome because I'm so relaxed with Mel. She pulls up on stuff and falls down (and then tries it again, lol) and just loves to explore. If I don't think it will hurt her, then she can have at it.
Sherry777 likes this.

May 17th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Our crib had to be completely taken apart in order to lower the mattress. However, George did that last night after dinner. He put it on the lowest setting.

I will be looking for baby gates. In the meantime, I did find the perfect play yard by Joovy. It's square and bigger than the usual PNP systems. Also, it doesn't come with unnecessary infant inserts or changing table sections, which she is too old for now. It even comes with a thicker mattress and fitted sheet if you want to use it for sleeping and not just play time.
rainbowfish likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search