Babyproofing!

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By KMH
  • 1 Post By Blessed Mommy Of 5

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 18th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What all did you do to baby proof your home?

Any tips or ideas on extra ways?

September 18th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
Seriously nothing. No gates or outlet covers or cabinet locks. I didn't lock away the pretties or elevate the TV. We just tell her no and redirect her attention; it teaches her right from wrong. We also happen to have 4 sets of hands and eyes on her most of the time.

September 18th, 2013, 12:11 PM
acmd03's Avatar Lincoln's Mommy
We've done a minimum: covering outlets, locking a couple cabinets, moving the dangerous stuff up high. We have a baby gate to keep him out of the kitchen when the dog eats and a lock up high on the door to our basement so he doesn't try to go down the stairs.

We're thinking about finding some kind of lock for the toilets because he's obsessed with water and has figured out how to open the lids We have one poor book that gets dunked in the toilet every day. Otherwise, I want him to learn that a lot of things will be off-limits, so we have a safe space in the living room, but in other rooms he hears no a lot.

September 18th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
Pippa is fascinated with the toilet too.

September 18th, 2013, 06:24 PM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We did minimal baby proofing here as well. I put the latches on the entertainment center drawers because she is constantly getting into them, and hearing "no" just makes her want it more. Redirecting doesn't even work most times. We also have a gate to prevent her from going into the bathroom because she likes to play in there and it just isn't a place to play LMBO and a gate to keep her out of the kitchen because that's where we are currently keeping our dogs, and where the steps are.

September 19th, 2013, 02:27 AM
1fabulousfem's Avatar Mommy to Finn + 1!
We bave been terrible. Nothing at all. I've been chasing Finn arou d lime crazy but it's time we get a gate.
He runs up and down the hallway and is constantly trying to get his hands in the toilet bowl.
Dirty boy! lol

September 19th, 2013, 06:17 AM
Mom to Madeline
Stair gates, cabinet and drawer locks, outlet covers. We keep the bathroom doors closed at all times, too. We did all this probably around when DD was 8mo. There are still a few things I have to watch out for, but for the most part, everything is pretty baby safe.
September 19th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Gates at the stairs, outlet covers in his playroom, locks on the kitchen cabinets, but not too much else. We keep the bathroom doors closed because he has a fascination with toilets and loves to grab and wave around the toilet brush

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
September 19th, 2013, 11:31 AM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
I put clips and locks on all low doors and cupboards, I also did the toilet seats. I took everything off the coffee table and low shelves and tables (picture frames, glass coasters, etc. and moved a lamp up high).

Honestly there wasn't a ton to do, I'm not a knick knack type of person so I don't have a ton of stuff lying around. I had two cupboards that resisted child proofing (my pantry and another small cupboard I never used) so I removed the reachable items and filled them with toys which has been great.

We also put up a permanent baby gate above the stairs and any rooms I didn't feel like baby proofing I just keep the door shut.

Pinterest
Flickr
September 20th, 2013, 09:42 PM
jojo2bee's Avatar Matthew's Mommy!
We've done nothing really. We tell him no and show him something else to. We did put a rubber band on the entertainment stand to keep him out of it but since then he hasent touched it. When he's on the floor roaming he only stays in the living room we block everything else off and he will venture into our bedroom sometimes but we watch him like a hawk when he does.

When we move into a house then we will babyproof better like the cabinet locks and outlet covers and baby gates and maybe some of those door handle things to. And well put the dvd racks in an inaccessible area lol

September 21st, 2013, 02:15 PM
We really haven't done a lot either. There wasn't much that needed baby proofing. We have a gate blocking our kitchen (thats where the dog is at night), the bathroom door stays shut, outlet covers, and moving things that are down low on shelves. I need to buy a door stopper for my room because she loves shutting the door and im afraid she might get her fingers caught in it.

September 22nd, 2013, 04:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The only things that I do is outlet covers because I feel that could be a hazard that I can not get to fast enough if he were to stick something in there! A friends toddler died that way sticking the ladder from his toy fire engine in the outlet

September 22nd, 2013, 06:59 PM
MommyofAngels1985's Avatar Veteran
Not a whole lot really. On the pantry we have it baby proofed so they can't open the doors, their door has one of those lose plastic case on the door knob, 2 baby gates blocking them from the laundry room and den and their bedroom door has one of those safety things that attaches to it so when it's shut it doesn't shut all the way so no baby fingers get smashed. Something I do when we are all in the livingroom, since the couch blocks 80% of the exit into the dining room, is put a dining room chair on either side of the couch so they can't pass through without me knowing it. Helps keep me from running all over the house after them when I need a break . Plus the living room is pretty big and it connects to their room so they have a lot of space to explore.

September 23rd, 2013, 07:17 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
*lurking*

Please, please, please remember to secure your TVs and furniture to the wall. Our babies (mine were born in August 2012) are at the stage where they pull on things and will try to climb, and it is easier than you think for them to pull a dresser, shelf, or TV over onto themselves. You can get everything you need to do this from Walmart or Home Depot or Amazon.com for a few dollars, and it could save your child's life.

More info here: How to Secure Your Furniture
Blessed Mommy Of 5 likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

September 23rd, 2013, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMH View Post
*lurking*

Please, please, please remember to secure your TVs and furniture to the wall. Our babies (mine were born in August 2012) are at the stage where they pull on things and will try to climb, and it is easier than you think for them to pull a dresser, shelf, or TV over onto themselves. You can get everything you need to do this from Walmart or Home Depot or Amazon.com for a few dollars, and it could save your child's life.

More info here: How to Secure Your Furniture
You are so right. Thank you for this reminder! I recently read about a little boy who was laying on the floor in front of the tv and kicking the stand it was on. It fell on top of him and killed him. That was right here in my city. It was the little brother of one of my dd's friends. I have no valid reason as to why I haven't already done this. It will get done very soon.
KMH likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search