Fish oil

If at First You Don't Conceive

A place where ladies TTC #1 can chat about medical assistance and herbal/alternative/dietary approaches to TTC

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To If at First You Don't Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 26th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've recently added fish oil to my regimen - both for general health and for possibly helping with TTC. I've had 3 miscarriages and no obvious problem except for hypothyroidism.. however that was being treated at the time of my last miscarriage so maybe there is something else.

I've read so much about the benefits of fish oil - helps with autoimmune issues, good source of bioavailable forms of omega 3s (EPA and DHA), might reduce NK cell activity and makes your blood thinner (not a good thing if you're already on blood thinners).

I do NOT take the fish oil that comes from the fish liver (cod liver oil) - it has high levels of vits A and D which could be toxic in high amounts and vit A is already in so many healthy foods.. but I do take a vit D supplement on the side because most of us are deficient and it's supposed to help with autoimmune issues which I suspect I have.

Anyone else take it?

Baby girl born Feb 2013

December 26th, 2011, 05:06 PM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
I do take fish oil as well! What kind are you taking? I have tried a couple different kinds, I have a hard time finding me that does not make me burp up that fishy taste.

Forever missing my angel 2010

December 26th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I take this one! Very Finest Fish Oil Lemon Flavor at Carlson Labs
I don't get fishy burps.

I heard that if you're taking capsules, it helps to freeze them before taking, that way it takes longer for it to break down in your GI tract and less likely to get the burps..

Baby girl born Feb 2013

December 27th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Thanks! It is reasonably priced too! I was taking Nordic Naturals and kept those in the freezer and would still get fishy burps..ick.

December 27th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Coley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I actually want to start taking it. DH usually does and was just saying the other day that we didn't have any more.

I remember seeing a commercial for a certain brand that digests further down in your system so you don't get the fish burps... but for the life of me, I can't remember the name of the brand!

December 28th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Crystallee's Avatar Host of the Dec 2012 PR
So I have a question. My prenatal I take says it contains fish oil. Is that a sufficient source or would it be something to take on top of the dosage in the prenatal?

Thanks kiliki for my siggie!
December 29th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
How much DHA/EPA does it have? You didn't tell us what the dose is. Mine has 1600mgs omega 3 combined per teaspoon (most of it EPA and DHA)

Baby girl born Feb 2013

December 30th, 2011, 04:44 AM
Judy - I see your fish oils comes in a liquid form vs a pill. The thought drinking fish likd kind of grosses me out. Is it like drinking cough medicine but lemon flavored?

December 30th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to *Manda* Send a message via MSN to *Manda* Send a message via Yahoo to *Manda*
I've never really looked into it but the prenatal I take has DHA in it. I'm not sure how much though I'll hafta look later.

I'm slightly afraid to take anymore. I hear it can worsen acne and I'm fighting such a huge fight with that already that it scares me...
December 30th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Manda* View Post
I've never really looked into it but the prenatal I take has DHA in it. I'm not sure how much though I'll hafta look later.

I'm slightly afraid to take anymore. I hear it can worsen acne and I'm fighting such a huge fight with that already that it scares me...
I have never heard that, I've heard fish oil is supposed to be good for your skin and make look and feel it better. I will have to look into this

December 30th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes25s View Post
Judy - I see your fish oils comes in a liquid form vs a pill. The thought drinking fish likd kind of grosses me out. Is it like drinking cough medicine but lemon flavored?
Yeah exactly like that. It doesn't even really feel like oil. You can always chase it with something, or even mix it into a smoothie if you don't like it.. but I always just take it straight.

Baby girl born Feb 2013

December 30th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to *Manda* Send a message via MSN to *Manda* Send a message via Yahoo to *Manda*
What I'm reading online doesn't show it being bad for acne in fact like you said, the opposite. Guess I heard wrong. Sorry!
January 1st, 2012, 05:59 AM
Thanks Judy!

Manda - no worries . Hopefully it will help you with your acne issues.

January 1st, 2012, 01:43 PM
JuiceF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello ladies, saw this post and I got interested... thanks for posting Judy I have been meaning to take it, but never got around to do it.. but I definitely want to be a brand new me this year and I will want to take it. Thanks for the link.

Happy New Year everyone
March 6th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Does anyone know how much EPA and DHA we should be taking? I read 2000 - 4000mg.

March 6th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm taking Nature's Bounty Fish Oil capsules. No fishy taste that I've noticed!

My doctor told me 1-2000mg of the EPA and DHA, so that's about 4000mg of my fish oil.

October 30th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Veteran
I took fish oils beofre I conceived. Actually what I thought is that it helped me with ovulation and stuff like that coz I've been havin a hard time conceivin. After my OB asked me to take this Brand, wow, it's just amazing how fast I got prego.
October 30th, 2012, 02:00 AM
Veteran
I haven't tried taking fish oil when I was pregnant but my Aunt does. It helped her a lot during pregnancy. She said it aids the development of neurological system of a growing fetus. God bless!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search