CD 3 vs CD 21 blood tests?

If at First You Don't Conceive

A place where ladies TTC #1 can chat about medical assistance and herbal/alternative/dietary approaches to TTC

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To If at First You Don't Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 23rd, 2012, 08:00 PM
JennyLee's Avatar TTC #1 after loss
I have seen references to both CD 3 and CD 21 blood testing. I am scheduled for CD 21 tests, with no mention of anything else. What is the difference? Should I be asking about CD 3 testing? TIA!
TTC #1 since 1/11, Unexplained Infertility
M/C 2/12
Polyp Removal 11/12
4 failed IUIs

IVF #1
Started stims 9/27
ER 10/8 - 24 eggs, 15 fertilized!
Blast transfer 10/13, 4 snowbabies
Very faint 10/18 (5dp5dt)
Beta #1 10/23 - 339!!!
Beta #2 10/25 - 856!!!
U/S 11/14 - Heart rate 144!

Abigail arrived 6/28/14!

My Belly Pics
January 24th, 2012, 10:51 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Good question! I did the same thing...well, not exactly, but my CD wasn't 3, it was much later. I asked my RE in advance, and she said that it wasn't a big deal to do my blood work on any day, vs CD 6 (yep, she said it was 6). She said the whole CD 6 thing is just a matter of doctor preference. I still don't even know what that all means, but I didn't worry about it

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
January 24th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Tammyms's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
CD 21 is them checking your progesterone to see if you've ovulated by CD21. I know not everyone ovulates on CD14, but don't worry about that, even if you O on CD 17 or 18 it will show in your progesterone by CD21. Most docs start with that CD as a guideline and once you start doing more fertility stuff they'll test you 7 days after when they think you've O'd. If you don't have enough progesterone on CD21, that's when they'll started checking if you actually O or if your cycles are too long they'll work on that.

CD3 b/w depends on how much your doc wants to test. Most common is to test for FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) to see what your egg reserve is, your LH (lutenizing hormone) which should be low and increases as O gets closer, your E2 - estradiol (estrogen) which also should be low or can be indicative of a cyst or diminished ovarian reserve. There may be others your doc would want but those are most common

I wouldn't worry about asking for it just yet as if they don't think there is an issue they may wait on it

Make a pregnancy ticker
January 26th, 2012, 05:47 PM
JennyLee's Avatar TTC #1 after loss
Thanks for the helpful info! I know I am doing some of the ones you mentioned for CD3 on CD 21 - I remember FSH for sure. I guess I'll just wait and see what they say about these results.
TTC #1 since 1/11, Unexplained Infertility
M/C 2/12
Polyp Removal 11/12
4 failed IUIs

IVF #1
Started stims 9/27
ER 10/8 - 24 eggs, 15 fertilized!
Blast transfer 10/13, 4 snowbabies
Very faint 10/18 (5dp5dt)
Beta #1 10/23 - 339!!!
Beta #2 10/25 - 856!!!
U/S 11/14 - Heart rate 144!

Abigail arrived 6/28/14!

My Belly Pics
January 26th, 2012, 06:22 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Wow, thanks for that info, Tam. I had no idea about most of that stuff...even though I just did the blood work for most of it! I know the progesterone isn't tested, but the rest sound awfully familiar. And my doc said it didn't matter what day of my cycle I went. Cooooooooolio...thanks for the explanation!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search