Maca root?

If at First You Don't Conceive

A place where ladies TTC #1 can chat about medical assistance and herbal/alternative/dietary approaches to TTC

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To If at First You Don't Conceive LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 26th, 2012, 05:56 AM
KatieKat's Avatar TTC #1
Has anyone tried Maca Root? My SIL told DH about it (she now knows we're TTC) and the reading I've been doing online about it looks really promising. DH is going to get some tonight (we're getting the powder - and making sure it's organic) and we're both going to go on it.

It's supposed to:
- Balance hormonal levels in women.
- Increase libido in both men and women.
- Increase egg health.
- Increase seminal volume, sperm count per ejaculation, and sperm motility.

Any experience with it?

It also looks like a 'side effect' is increased energy, which would be awesome (DH and I are bad sleepers and always feeling tired/low energy)!

~thanks to Jaidynsmum for my perfect siggy!~

January 26th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That sounds good, but are there any other side effects?

January 26th, 2012, 12:00 PM
KatieKat's Avatar TTC #1
This site says there are no side effects, because it's a food (root)

Maca and Treating Infertility | Get Pregnant with Maca

However, I find it kind of hard to believe.

Here is another site about it: Side Effects Of Maca On Women | LIVESTRONG.COM. It seems like maybe there haven't been enough studies done yet.

I'll let you know what happens to me though!

January 26th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Coley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've heard of Maca before... We haven't tried it, but I've heard good things.

January 26th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It sounds like you may need to slowly build tolerance to it: What Nobody Tells You About Maca Root Powder – Dangers And Side Effects— High on health

January 26th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've started taking it but not very consistently yet..

Baby girl born Feb 2013

January 26th, 2012, 08:06 PM
IndyMommyWannabe's Avatar Always Hoping & Praying
I tried it last year but didn't continue with it. I've read very good things about it though!

IVF=ONLY option

October 2012 = Fresh IVF #1 - retrieved 8, 6 fertilized. Transfer 2. Fail.March 2013 = Frozen #1 - Transfer 2 of 4 left. Fail.
February 2014 = Frozen #2 - Transfer remaining 2 - IMPLANTATION!
8 weeks, D&C - blighted ovum - Triploidy

July 2014 = Fresh IVF #2!

"Sometimes the bad things that happen in our lives put us directly on the path to the best things that will ever happen to us!"

Come visit my blog/journal to learn more about our journey - Our Adventure through Infertility
January 27th, 2012, 06:15 AM
KatieKat's Avatar TTC #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belita View Post
It sounds like you may need to slowly build tolerance to it: What Nobody Tells You About Maca Root Powder – Dangers And Side Effects— High on health
Good to know, I'll start slowly and build up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMommyWannabe View Post
I tried it last year but didn't continue with it. I've read very good things about it though!
Did you notice any difference?

January 28th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Tammyms's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I took it for a little while but not long enough to notice anything good or bad differences because we moved on to MA with the doctors and I'm careful about how much I'm taking when on Clomid or Gonal F. I do know there are women on these boards who have been successful getting pregnant and maca was the only change

Make a pregnancy ticker
January 30th, 2012, 05:40 AM
KatieKat's Avatar TTC #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyms View Post
I do know there are women on these boards who have been successful getting pregnant and maca was the only change
That's encouraging Thanks for your help! (it tastes pretty gross though eh?)

January 30th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Tammyms's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKat View Post
That's encouraging Thanks for your help! (it tastes pretty gross though eh?)
Yah, and the stuff I took had a funny smell

Make a pregnancy ticker
February 13th, 2012, 06:51 AM
KatieKat's Avatar TTC #1
Just wanted to post on update on Maca - I've been taking it for a couple weeks now (I started taking small doses). I can't handle the taste anymore, so I've been putting in in capsules and while it's time consuming, it seems to work (so I suggest just ordering the capsules in the first place). I wanted to warn you ladies that it has made me break out big time. I usually have fairly good skin, a pimple here and there, but this has brought me back to being 14 years old again. Ha ha. I'm not sure if that's just me, but I wanted to put a warning out there. That's all I noticed so far, but I'm moving on to a new cycle probably today, so I'll see if it has any effect this cycle.

February 29th, 2012, 01:17 PM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
KUP if you start to see any other changes. I was reading more about Maca root this past weekend and I am very curious about it.

Forever missing my angel 2010

March 5th, 2012, 09:23 AM
KatieKat's Avatar TTC #1
I O'ed a little later this cycle, and it took a few days to see a temp jump (not sure if this has to do with the Maca, or if I O'ed later than I thought - you can stalk my chart if you want to see what happened). So far my post-O temps are a higher than normal - I don't know if that has to do with the Maca or because I'm going to get a BFP in a few days.

April 12th, 2012, 01:37 PM
I took Maca Root - the liquid drops from AF to O this cycle. I am in the tww right now so just waiting to see... However, the one warning I have about Maca is that it does give you a lot of energy so it can really disrupt your sleep. One night I took it before bed and I was wide awake all night and had horrible nightmares, so I suggest that you only take it in the morning. Good luck to you! :-)
December 29th, 2013, 01:06 AM
I had quite hard period of my life not long time ago, was very depressed and anxious and always tired (part of depressed mood), had no energies to get up in the morning. My pharmacist suggested me to try a herb called Maca, which root has lots of health properties. I started taking raw maca powder in the morning with my breakfast, but it didn't have very good effect on my stomach. I replaced it with gelatinized form of maca root that is supposed to be better for the digestion, and it was much better. I started from 500mg daily dosage and slowly increased till 1000mg. After a couple of weeks my mood changed and i wasn't feeling depressed, and started feeling energies I didn't know that exist. I continue taking maca supplements for 8 months now to maintain my high energies. Find all the info you need about maca root supplements and the side effects at macarootreview[.]com, and feel your energies boost as well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search