Week 1: Eggs

52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge

Branch out with your cooking by participating in this fun challenge with weekly themes. You can join any time in 2012!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 4th, 2012, 01:34 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie View Post
Yum. I wanna try that! Was this a new recipe for you? What did you think of it?
I made some last weekend without the bananas as I didnt have any and it was pretty good. I bought some banana's this morning so I thought Id give it another go, and it is absolutely fabulous with the banana's, if you like peanut butter & banana sandwiches, you will love this french toast.

And I used whole wheat bread as that is all we eat here. (so I can pretend it was healthy lol)

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
January 4th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Can we make recipes the others have made? For instance Nicole's poached egg, Ive never poached an egg either and now I wanna try it.

January 4th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

Dh's first words out of his mouth were, I can't belive how much it tastes like eggs!
Marikas South Western Tofu Scramble
Firm Tofu on package
224g Mushrooms
Package of low salt bacon
3 chopped Green Onions
¾ tsp tumeric
Salt
Pepper
Olive oil
About 1 ½ cups grated Old Chedder Cheese
4 cloves Garlic
About 1 tsp chili powder
Salsa (I used homemade that I had in my freezer)
2 Whole wheat buns

Crumble tofu loosely, Fry 2 pieces bacon in large pan on stove with rest of bacon bake in 400F oven for 15-20 minutes on a large foil covered cookie sheet. When bacon in pan is done take out and eat, then add tofu and mushrooms, minced garlic and tumeric to pan. Mix it well, add some dribbles of olive oil if it seems too dry.
Fry on Medium for about 10 minutes.
Check on bacon in oven and give it a flip, I stole some of the bacon grease from the pan and added it to the pan on the stove.
Salt and pepper the tofu pan to taste. Add cheese and green onions. Toast buns.
To serve put Tofu scramble on plate, top with salsa and eat with a bun and bacon on the side.

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
January 4th, 2012, 07:30 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lesha View Post
Can we make recipes the others have made? For instance Nicole's poached egg, Ive never poached an egg either and now I wanna try it.
I don't see why not. As long as you make it and post a picture

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
January 4th, 2012, 11:26 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lesha View Post

Imitation is the highest form of flattery!

Last edited by Happy Song; January 4th, 2012 at 11:28 PM.
January 4th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Hum what to say about this soup. It tasted fine, but I'd change things about it. I'd either use green onions or minced dried onions. The soup really seemed like dish water just too busy. The meatballs took up so much space the eggs were lost. I did take out Wayne's portion before adding the eggs. I did add more broth. Everyones response was that it was just OK. I thought the toddlers would eat the meatballs but neither of them did.

STRACCIATELLI (TORN RAG SOUP)

Read more about it at Cooks.com - Recipe - Stracciatelli (Torn Rag Soup)
Content Copyright © 2011 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

MEATBALLS:

8 oz. lean ground beef
1 egg
1 sm. (1/3 c.) onion, chopped fine
2 tsp. seasoned dry bread crumbs
2 tsp. fresh parsley, chopped
1 tsp. grated Parmesan cheese

SOUP:

6 c. chicken broth
1 med. carrot, shredded
1/4 c. egg pastina
1 tsp. fresh parsley
8 oz. fresh spinach strips or 10 oz. frozen chopped spinach, thawed & squeezed dry

Make meatballs. Blend together all meatball ingredients, it will be very moist and onion-y. Makes 3/4 inch balls (1 rounded teaspoon of meat mixture). Set aside. In soup pot, combine all soup ingredients and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 minutes. Drop meatballs into simmering soup. Cook uncovered 8 to 10 minutes. Slightly beat 2 large eggs. Using wooden spoon, stir soup while slowly pouring in eggs, (this is what makes the "torn rags"). Remove from heat. Cover, let stand 2 minutes until eggs are set. Serve with Parmesan cheese. Makes 6 to 8 servings. Can be doubled easily

Last edited by Happy Song; January 5th, 2012 at 12:00 AM.
January 5th, 2012, 12:01 AM
Tiki your food looks so pretty!

January 5th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Song View Post
Tiki your food looks so pretty!
Aww thank you So is yours I really like that placemat and pretty bowl , I keep wishing we could still eat eggs. With Orions allergy being severe we can't even have anything that MAY contain in the house, he had a severe reaction just from a spice that was proccessed in the same factory as eggs I do miss making egg dishes as they are really versitle but tofu makes up for some of it

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
January 5th, 2012, 10:17 AM
okay.. i made this cuz I thought it was too cute... Egg in a Red Bell Pepper Flower

But I baked mine instead of following the directions and added some cheese (cooked them alittle longer than I should have... totally forgot about them...lol)

But anyway... I would have never thought they'd be so yummy! My 3 year old gobbled it up, spinach leaves and all.

The way I did it, was slice a bell pepper in half, seed it, crack an egg into it and stick it on a cookie sheet in a preheated 350 degree oven. Cook it til the egg is done as you like it. I put some cheese on it and turned it up to broil... then forgot it...so... watch it!

Add spinach leaves, a celery stalk and some grapes for foilage!

January 5th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post

Dh's first words out of his mouth were, I can't belive how much it tastes like eggs!

I would have never thought of making tofu into eggs, thats just neat! Sounds yummy too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Song View Post
Hum what to say about this soup. It tasted fine, but I'd change things about it. I'd either use green onions or minced dried onions. The soup really seemed like dish water just too busy. The meatballs took up so much space the eggs were lost. I did take out Wayne's portion before adding the eggs. I did add more broth. Everyones response was that it was just OK. I thought the toddlers would eat the meatballs but neither of them did.

STRACCIATELLI (TORN RAG SOUP)

That looks and sounds delicious! You have such great recipes!

January 5th, 2012, 11:25 AM
I have found that it is easy to surf for recipes and I am loving cooks.com

FORGOTTEN COOKIES (MERINGUES)

Read more about it at Cooks.com - Recipe - Forgotten Cookies (Meringues)
Content Copyright © 2011 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

2 egg whites
Pinch of salt
2/3 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. chocolate chips
1 c. chopped nuts

Beat egg whites, to which salt has been added, until stiff. Fold in sugar and vanilla. Then chocolate chips and nuts. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto aluminum foil covered cookie sheets. Place in 350 degree preheated oven. Turn off heat at once and leave for 2 hours or even overnight. (Hence the name "Forgotten".)

Last edited by Happy Song; January 5th, 2012 at 11:30 AM.
January 5th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Lesha - your egg and broccoli dish was very similar to my egg fritata!

I ran out of salsa so I cant have my go-to egg dish this week. I normally eat a scrambled egg with cheese and salsa on it about 1-2 nights a week since df works nights. Otherwise I am not really an egg person.

http://hkystar.blogspot.com

January 5th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkystar View Post
Lesha - your egg and broccoli dish was very similar to my egg fritata!

I ran out of salsa so I cant have my go-to egg dish this week. I normally eat a scrambled egg with cheese and salsa on it about 1-2 nights a week since df works nights. Otherwise I am not really an egg person.
I thought I was losing my mind looking for a fritata in this thread! lol I realize now that its in another thread and really looks wayyyyyyyyyyy yummier than my broccoli things that I just threw together, that was my practice lol

January 6th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay! Finally some time to sit down and get these out! I admit I have a mild egg allergy, but my daughter and hubby love eggs, so I had no issues cooking for them. It didn't say anywhere in the rules that I had to be the one eating it, sooo... there. Also, one of my recipes was botched, of course the only recipe I actually was excited about and actually HAD a recipe. Go fig. Botched or not, they were eaten, and proclaimed tasty! So rather than say botched, I should say... tweaked.

Scrambled eggs and curry...

It's just literally scrambled eggs (I add milk and a splash of worcestershire to my egg, then scramble) and I sprinkle a bit of curry powder on top, add some green onions to cut the intense flavour. This is my husbands egg of choice.

Again, another of my hubby's weird egg favourites, Salsa scrambled...

Again, basic scrambled eggs, topped with salsa (I'm lazy and use jar stuff) and sprinkled with cheese.

Okay, so this is the recipe I sort of forgot about... resulting in an entirely different end product... It sucked because I was so excited to try these, found the recipe on Pinterest, but then everyone here got colds so the eggs got forgotten in the brine... for two days! Whoops! So they're more like totally pickeled deviled eggs. They were still eaten completely!

Scrambled eggs with pesto mayo...

Basic scrambled egg, topped with a warm pesto mayo. The pesto I made myself this past Summer with basil I grew! Nom nom...

Egg in a basket with ketchup smile. My daughter loves these things.

Cut hole in bread (Nice bread is better, but my girl won't eat nice bread) and set into hot pan with melted butter, crack egg in middle. My daughter has to have the egg yolk broken and fully cooked. Fry on both sides until golden. Remove from pan. Add ketchup smile.

(I hope this is all good enough, I generally don't cook from recipes, just more winging it. If it was anything but eggs, I would have prepared more, looked up recipes etc.)
January 6th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Egg & Ham Crepe Square

these things were fantastic.

Eggs, Ham (I used Canadian bacon) salt, pepper & parsley for pretty.

The crepe:

1 cup flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
4 large eggs
3 tablespoons melted butter

Put all that in the blender, flour last so it doesnt start sticking. blend it for about 30 seconds, let set for 15 mins.

Preheat oven to 350

Heat a 12 inch non stick skillet over med heat, coat lightly with butter. pour in 1/3 cup of batter, swirl so it covers the entire bottom. Cook for about 2 minutes, then flip. Cook for 2 more minutes.

If you are making more than one, go ahead and make all crepes first. (I made 3)

spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray, place crepes on the cookie sheet. place a piece of ham in the center of each, then carefully crack an egg onto the ham. fold all four edges of the crepe towards the center, the eggwhite helps keep it secure. sprinkle with salt & pepper.

Stick it in the oven for about 10 mins or until the egg is set. sprinkle with parsley for pretty.

I used fresh parsley, not much of a fan of that, but overall the crepe square was seriously tasty! Toddler approved.

Oh and I got 7 crepes from this recipe (original recipe states 9, my first one was thicker than it should have been.) I went ahead and made all of them and placed them between wax paper to freeze for later use.

January 6th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Captain Pieffle

I wanted to participate, but I haven't had time to try something new for this challenge. This is a typical breakfast for us on the weekends. Eggs with cheese, hashbrowns and bacon...and sometimes toast...depending on if I have help in the kitchen or not. lol

Thanks to leecat for making my Awesome siggy!
January 6th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Yay for eggs for breakfast!

Breakfast burrito

Since Dh is allergic to eggs and the kids had cerial I made this for myself. One scrambled egg, one left over baked potato, cheese and green salsa, wrapped in a burrito skin.

January 7th, 2012, 06:32 AM

Egg & Spinach stuffed Meatloaf

2 lbs ground beef
1 green onion diced, (just the green)
3/4 cup of breadcrumbs
1/2 cup beef broth
2 eggs lightly beaten
1/4 parmesan cheese
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
10 oz frozen spinach, thawed, excess water squeezed out
3 hard boiled eggs, shells removed
tomatoes *optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a large bowl, mix together the first 10 ingredients. (I put it all in my kitchen aid and used the dough hook to mix)

Place two thirds of the mixture in your meatloaf pan. press it from the center and up the sides (this will help seal) layer half the spinach down the middle. place the eggs end to end on top of the spinach. Cover with remaining spinach, sealing the eggs in. Top with the other half of the meat mixture, sealing the sides.

Cook for about an hour.

I added the tomatoes to the top with about 20 mins left of cooking time.

The boys thought it was awesome that it had an egg in it, DH wouldn't touch it cuz he hates spinach...lol I wasn't able to taste it as it made me nauseous, second time Ive made a meatloaf and havent got to taste it. I have leftovers so hopefully I can have a taste for lunch today.

Overall it was pretty simple, just weird.... the recipe came from my meatloaf book, which comes with the "Perfect Meatloaf Pan" you see on tv (got mine at walmart) love it, it drains the grease into the bottom, its wonderful.

Its one of the three I made from the book and really the most peculiar lol,honestly I never thought Id make it, but Im glad I did now I can blog about it.

January 7th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama.Angie View Post
Egg in a basket with ketchup smile. My daughter loves these things.

Cut hole in bread (Nice bread is better, but my girl won't eat nice bread) and set into hot pan with melted butter, crack egg in middle. My daughter has to have the egg yolk broken and fully cooked. Fry on both sides until golden. Remove from pan. Add ketchup smile.

(I hope this is all good enough, I generally don't cook from recipes, just more winging it. If it was anything but eggs, I would have prepared more, looked up recipes etc.)
OMG that is soooo cute my boys would love that!! All of your recipes look delicious and sooo pretty!

January 7th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Captain Pieffle

I attempted to cook the eggs in the green pepper...but that didn't go so well...so instead I decided to scramble them and put them in the green pepper afterwards. lol Hasbrowns and Sausages complete our meal...healthy eh?! LOL

Thanks to leecat for making my Awesome siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search