Week 1: Eggs

52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge

Branch out with your cooking by participating in this fun challenge with weekly themes. You can join any time in 2012!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Eggs in a basket with ketchup smile

I buttered the bread on both sides, cut out a hole, scrabled egg, put bread in hot pan added egg to hole, turned and served when set. Add ketchup face fed to picky picky three year old. I grilled up the middle and fed to my one year old.

Egg Salad Sandwich

I diced the pickled eggs, added mayo, salt and pepper served on bread.

January 8th, 2012, 07:27 AM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Canadian Bacon & Egg cups.

The kids thought these were great.

You just place a slice of Canadian bacon/ham into the bottom of a muffin tin, crack and egg ontop of it, season to taste, sprinkle on some cheese. Bake at 350 for about 10-15 mins depending on how you like your eggs cooked.

Poached Egg on a Ciabatta Roll with bacon, cheese & tomato

egg
multigrain ciabatta roll
bacon
provolone cheese
tomato
butter
salt n pepper

My first time making a poached egg and eating one, so I went with simple. Tasted just as good as fried (well okay not just as good), Im glad I learned how to make it because it would be better for DH to eat then scrambled (with cheese) or fried egg, though I will have to come up with some spectacular presentation for him, and his will have to be cooked all the way.

To poach the egg, I just cracked an egg into a small bowl then slowly slid the egg into boiling water. Cook for 2-3 minutes (or til desired doneness, 3 mins made the white cooked and the yellow runny).

Toast ciabatta bread, butter it, place a slice of provolone cheese on the bottom, then two slices of bacon, a thinly sliced tomato and the poached egg. Season with salt & pepper.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
January 8th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay, one last dish, since my daughter wanted cereal for breakfast. Hubby got a deluxe taco breakfast.

Beef and cheese taco with fried egg...

Flour tortilla, topped with last night's leftover taco seasoned beef, some sour cream, sunny side up fried egg, green hot sauce, and cheddar cheese.
January 8th, 2012, 07:39 AM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I made quiche. Similar recipe to the one already posted

4 eggs
1 can evaporated milk (I like the texture that evap milk gives it)
1 pie crust
1 cup shredded cheese
mix ins (I used just broccoli)

375 degrees for 1-1.5 hours until knife inserted comes out clean.

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."

Last edited by C&K'sMama; January 8th, 2012 at 07:45 AM.
January 8th, 2012, 08:27 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Lesha, what did you think of the egg cups. We were planning on doing that but ran out of time. Will have to do it later...

Angie, what did hubby think of the taco? Looks like it could be good!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
January 8th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Breakfast Upside Down Cake Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I think this recipe isn't really worth all the work that went into it. However, if I were to make it again, I would use more egg. For being used in this challenge, the egg wasn't nearly as noticeable as I would have liked.

Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.

Last edited by esparando para bebé; January 8th, 2012 at 12:56 PM.
January 8th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lesha View Post
OMG that is soooo cute my boys would love that!! All of your recipes look delicious and sooo pretty!
Thanks! I do anything to get something into my non breakfast loving kid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie View Post
He loved it, though I will admit he stole some of my bacon and added it on top of everything else!
January 8th, 2012, 12:36 PM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
I made what we refer to as my "World Famous Egg Scramble". There are several different variations to this meal, so just use your imagination when making it.

First, I dice up potatoes, stir in some olive oil to coat them, add some diced onions, Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper (we like it hot). Stir that all up and toss it in the oven (I usually set it at 350* and it cooks while I do the rest. About 20 minutes maybe?) Then I dice up a couple green peppers (sometimes I also use red, yellow or orange bells), and cut up some mushrooms. In a separate bowl, I crack the eggs, add the milk and get that ready to go. When the egg is ready to go into the pan, I add the green peppers and onions to the potatoes that are already in the oven and let that continue to bake. I cook the scrambled eggs, and then when the potatoes and stuff is thoroughly cooked I mix them together and add some shredded cheese (whichever is your favorite....we usually use colby jack or a four cheese or mexican blend). The dish is now ready to serve. (In the past I have also added ham, sausage, ground turkey or ground beef to the dish. Just prepare the meat and stir it in when add the potato mixture.)

My family eats it just like this. I personally add some sour cream and salsa to mine which just makes it even better.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
January 8th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Captain Pieffle

Today's breakfast...french toast and bacon.

I just used eggs and milk. I don't use measurements for my scrambled eggs or my french toast. I do everything by eye.

I used likely 6 eggs this morning and mixed them with about 1/2 to a cup of milk. Scrambled it up then dipped my bread in it.
Good thing I made so much each of my kids (2 and 3 years) ate 4 pieces of french toast! lol

Thanks to leecat for making my Awesome siggy!
January 8th, 2012, 03:42 PM
My hubby's participating too. He made Egg Drop Soup:

Quote:
This is completely new to me. Have never even had it in a restaurant, so not sure how authentic it came out.

Started with 4 cups of chicken stock I had frozen. Added about 1 tsp tamari, a few drops of sesame oil, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, and 1/4 tsp onion powder. Brought to a boil, removed from heat, drizzled in 3 lightly beaten eggs. Garnished with two chopped green onions.

January 8th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Loopy View Post

Today's breakfast...french toast and bacon.

I just used eggs and milk. I don't use measurements for my scrambled eggs or my french toast. I do everything by eye.

I used likely 6 eggs this morning and mixed them with about 1/2 to a cup of milk. Scrambled it up then dipped my bread in it.
Good thing I made so much each of my kids (2 and 3 years) ate 4 pieces of french toast! lol
That is something to be jealous of!

January 8th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Quote:
My hubby's participating too. He made Egg Drop Soup:

Looks like he got weeks one, two and three covered in one fell swoop.

Geeks click here

January 8th, 2012, 09:00 PM
JennyLee's Avatar TTC #1 after loss
I love eggs, and have some good recipes that I wish I had had time to do this week. I did get a couple done, though!

Quick Crustless Quiche

8 slices bacon
4 ounces shredded Swiss cheese
2 tablespoons butter, melted
4 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk

Cook and crumble bacon. Grease a 9 inch pie plate. Line the bottom of the pie plate with the cheese and crumbled bacon. Whisk remaining ingredients together and pour into pie pan. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes, until set.

We like onion to be very soft, so I precooked it in some of the bacon grease. I also used 2 extra slices of bacon, to use it up, and because we love bacon I made this for dinner, but it would totally work for breakfast or lunch too.
TTC #1 since 1/11, Unexplained Infertility
M/C 2/12
Polyp Removal 11/12
4 failed IUIs

IVF #1
Started stims 9/27
ER 10/8 - 24 eggs, 15 fertilized!
Blast transfer 10/13, 4 snowbabies
Very faint 10/18 (5dp5dt)
Beta #1 10/23 - 339!!!
Beta #2 10/25 - 856!!!
U/S 11/14 - Heart rate 144!

Abigail arrived 6/28/14!

My Belly Pics
January 8th, 2012, 09:10 PM
JennyLee's Avatar TTC #1 after loss
Breakfast Muffins

1 pound breakfast sausage
1/8 cup minced onion
1 (12 ounce) can refrigerated biscuit dough
3 eggs, beaten
3 tablespoons milk
1/2 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese

Cook sausage and onion. Drain. Separate the dough into 10 individual biscuits, flatten each and line cups of a muffin pan with them. Distribute sausage mixture between the cups. Mix eggs and milk and divide between cups. Top with cheese. Bake at 400 for 18-20 minutes, until set.

These work great to make ahead and freeze or refrigerate for a microwavable grab and go breakfast.
TTC #1 since 1/11, Unexplained Infertility
M/C 2/12
Polyp Removal 11/12
4 failed IUIs

IVF #1
Started stims 9/27
ER 10/8 - 24 eggs, 15 fertilized!
Blast transfer 10/13, 4 snowbabies
Very faint 10/18 (5dp5dt)
Beta #1 10/23 - 339!!!
Beta #2 10/25 - 856!!!
U/S 11/14 - Heart rate 144!

Abigail arrived 6/28/14!

My Belly Pics
January 9th, 2012, 07:28 AM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Quote:
Lesha, what did you think of the egg cups. We were planning on doing that but ran out of time. Will have to do it later...

I loved them! The kids loved them as well, even my 4 year old who hates eggs ate them. the canadian bacon really made the eggs taste yummy!

Quote:
Breakfast Upside Down Cake Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I think this recipe isn't really worth all the work that went into it. However, if I were to make it again, I would use more egg. For being used in this challenge, the egg wasn't nearly as noticeable as I would have liked.
That looks yummy!!!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
January 10th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Okay, so it may be too late to get these on here, but I finally got them uploaded.
My egg dishes this week were:

Egg Cups

This is not my picture. I forgot to take one of this and the egg wreath. They turned out okay, although a few of the bacon pieces burnt in the oven. They were good, but not worth the effort. So I doubt I'll make them again.
Ingredients

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
8 slices white or whole-wheat sandwich bread
6 slices bacon
6 large eggs
Coarse salt and ground pepper
Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly butter 6 standard muffin cups. With a rolling pin, flatten bread slices slightly and, with a 4 1/4-inch cookie cutter, cut into 8 rounds. Cut each round in half, then press 2 halves into each muffin cup, overlapping slightly and making sure bread comes up to edge of cup. Use extra bread to patch any gaps. Brush bread with remaining butter.
In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium, until almost crisp, 4 minutes, flipping once. (It will continue to cook in the oven.) Lay 1 bacon slice in each bread cup and crack an egg over each. Season with salt and pepper. Bake until egg whites are just set, 20 to 25 minutes. Run a small knife around cups to loosen toasts. Serve immediately.

#2: Egg Wreath

Again, not my picture. Mine didn't turn out nearly as pretty as this. This was a HUGE hit in my house. We needed to make two to feed us all. I will be keeping this recipe and using it as a regular in our home now.

1 can of crescents 8count (we use reduced fat)
5 large eggs (we use cholesterol fat free egg product)
1 cup of shredded Colby and monterey jack cheese (we use 2% reduced fat cheese)
8 slices of fully cooked bacon (I buy the bacon that is fully cooked from the store)

Preheat oven to 375 F degrees. Scramble your eggs on stove top. Lay out crescents
on a parchment lined pizza pan. Lay a piece of bacon along each crescent. Sprinkle cheese on top (making a circle of cheese), scrambled eggs on that, then fold the crescents rolls in to make the wreath. Sprinkle with more cheese. Bake for about 17 minutes, or until golden brown.

#3 Fried eggs.

Nothing fancy, just eggs and bacon for breakfast.

#4 Mexican Quiche

Oh my goodness. This was amazing!! I've never made a quiche before, but it looked good. I was weary, as I don't really like scrambled eggs, and thought it might be like that. Sooo wasn't! I had to alter it a bit, as I didn't have all the ingredients. I used Salsa Verde sauce instead of green chilies, and used taco seasoning in the meat as well. I also made a homemade crust instead of a store bought one. Everyone loved it, and I'll have to make it again!

My Ovulation Chart

January 10th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I'll give credit this time since I never stated the thread was closed to submissions. No more submissions allowed for week 1.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search