Week 2: Chinese

52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge

Branch out with your cooking by participating in this fun challenge with weekly themes. You can join any time in 2012!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2012, 05:20 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé

I made Sesame Chicken and Vegetable Lo Mein tonight. It was a lot of effort and I found myself really frustrated. Not sure if that's my hormones bottoming out or what.

Any way, they were really good. I would strongly advise that you leave the salt out of the meat recipe. It was WAY too salty. The Lo Mein was AWESOME. I can't stand mushrooms so I used peas instead (after looking at other recipes).

Sesame Chicken Recipe : Tyler Florence : Food Network

Vegetable Lo Mein Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
January 11th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I made Salt and Pepper squid, bok choy and snow peas, and some weird noodles.
Since I have never cooked Bok Choy before I used a recipe. I did add more garlic then it called for, omitted the sesame oil and added snow peas. It turned out good and I remembered after the first bite I don’t like

Bok Choy.
Bok Choy Recipe | Steamy Kitchen Recipes
Bok Choy Recipe
Servings: 4 Prep Time: Cook Time:
Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds bok choy or baby bok choy
1 1/2 tablespoons canola, vegetable or peanut oil
1-2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
3 tablespoons broth or water (or 2 tablespoons broth/water + 1 tablespoon wine)
salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
Directions:
1. Start by trimming the stem off - don't trim too much - just the end. Cutting the thick stem off will ensure that the bok choy cooks evenly. Separate out the leaves, keep the tender center intact and clean under running water. Drain.
2. Finely mince garlic and grate fresh ginger with a microplane grater. Grating the ginger helps break up the tough fibers! (and yeah, sometimes when the ginger is nice and fresh, I don't even bother peeling off the paper-thin skin)
3. Place wok or frying pan on your stove and pour in the cooking oil. Add the garlic and ginger. Turn the heat to medium-high. Let the ginger and garlic gently sizzle in the oil. When the aromatics become fragrant and light golden brown, add the bok choy leaves. Toss very well to coat each leaf with the garlicky, gingery oil for 15 seconds. Pour in broth, water or wine. Immediately cover and let cook for 1 minute. Season with salt and drizzle a bit of sesame oil on top.

The Salt and Pepper squid turned out great too  I will be making this one again for sure. I did run out of breading before all my squid was breaded so I had to make some more. I also used canola oil instead of whatever groundnut oil is. Oh and I just used ground salt and himelayan salt. It really was the perfect amount for the two of us.

Salt & pepper squid recipe - Recipes - BBC Good Food
• 1 tbsp Szechuan peppercorns
• 1 tsp chilli flakes
• 1 tbsp sea salt flakes
• 4 tbsp plain flour
• 4 tbsp cornflour
• 400g squid , cleaned
• groundnut oil for deep frying
• lemon wedges to serve

Ready in 25 minutes

• Crush together the peppercorns, chilli flakes and sea salt with a pestle and mortar then mix with the flours. Slit the squid hoods down one side, open out then score the inside lightly in a criss-cross pattern. Cut into bite-size pieces.
• Fill a large pan or wok 1/3 full with oil. Heat until a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds. Coat the squid pieces in the flour, shaking off the excess, and fry for 1-2 minutes or until golden. Serve with lemon wedges.

The noodles were just some packaged fresh noodles that expired today, I stir fryed them and tossed in soy sauce, I didn’t like them and thought they turned out looking weird. I’m pretty sure they don’t count for points but I took pics so I included them.

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook

Last edited by Tiki; January 11th, 2012 at 07:17 PM.
January 11th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
CHINESE CHICKEN WINGS

Read more about it at Cooks.com - Recipe - Chinese Chicken Wings
Content Copyright © 2012 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

24 chicken wings
3/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup dry sherry
1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
3 cloves garlic, crushed
3 tablespoons honey
6 cups vegetable or peanut oil (for frying)

Cut off tips of chicken wings if desired. Place wings into a large Ziploc bag or storage container with soy sauce, sherry, ginger, garlic and honey. Stir to distribute all ingredients (except oil) and coat the chicken pieces well.
Place in refrigerator overnight, stirring around occasionally to make sure all pieces are marinated evenly.

Preheat oil to 360-365°F in a heavy bottom pan.

Drain wings and lower several at a time into hot oil using tongs. Do not overload fryer to prevent oil temperature from dropping too much.

Fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

Recipe may be halved.

January 12th, 2012, 06:00 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post

Salt & pepper squid recipe - Recipes - BBC Good Food
• 1 tbsp Szechuan peppercorns
• 1 tsp chilli flakes
• 1 tbsp sea salt flakes
• 4 tbsp plain flour
• 4 tbsp cornflour
• 400g squid , cleaned
• groundnut oil for deep frying
• lemon wedges to serve

Ready in 25 minutes

• Crush together the peppercorns, chilli flakes and sea salt with a pestle and mortar then mix with the flours. Slit the squid hoods down one side, open out then score the inside lightly in a criss-cross pattern. Cut into bite-size pieces.
• Fill a large pan or wok 1/3 full with oil. Heat until a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds. Coat the squid pieces in the flour, shaking off the excess, and fry for 1-2 minutes or until golden. Serve with lemon wedges.
January 12th, 2012, 07:32 AM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Chinese Pork Roast

Pork Roast
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup dry sherry
1/3 cup honey
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Chinese Five Spice Powder
Green Onions (optional)

Combine first 6 ingridients. Reserve some liquid. Rub Roast with Five Spice powder, let marinate in mixture over night.

Place in the oven cover with foil, cook for 2-3 hours or until done. Brush with liquid randomly for a nice shine. Sprinkle with green onion.

Served with... Garlic Green Beans

1 tablespoon oil, peanut or sesame
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
I bag of frozen whole green beans or fresh
1 tablespoon white sugar
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
2 teaspoons soy sauce

Heat oil in a large skillet, still in garlic, cook about 20 seconds. Add green beans, cook and stir until beans soften. Add sugar, oyster sauce and soy sauce and cook until beans are done.

The pork was a big hit with DH and the kids. The kids loved the beans as well, those are their favorite from a buffet. DH doesnt like green beans and wouldn't even taste them lol

I thought it was all fantastic. The pork was very tender and I had left over, so I searched for something to make the next night with that. Recipe & next dish to follow.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
January 12th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Asian Lettuce Wraps with ginger dressing

Using my leftover Chinese Pork.

2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
mushrooms, finely chopped
1/2 tsp kosher salt
thinly shredded cabbage
shredded carrots
sliced green onions
lettuce leaves

Dressing

Garlic powder
ginger
olive oil
rice vinegar
soy sauce
honey

I didnt measure anything, just mixed a bit up to taste (it was reallly good!!) after mixing place in microwave to melt the honey.

Dice the pork (or you can use chicken, whatever), put in a skillet, add the garlic, saute for a few minutes. Add in the diced mushrooms, carrot, green onion and cabbage. Cook until cabbage starts to wilt.

drizzle on a bit of the dressing and stir.

Put a scoop onto a lettuce leaf and add more dressing if desired.

The pork was fanastic in this, wondeful way to use leftovers! DH and the boys loved it, though the boys insisted on using a tortilla as they thought the lettuc leaf was silly

My 3 year old is eating the tiny bit of leftover mix today on a salad.

Served with Crab Rangoon

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
2 tablespoons sour cream
1/4 green onion, sliced
1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon white sugar, or to taste
1/2 pound imitation crabmeat, flaked
1/2 (14 ounce) package wonton wrappers

Mix first 6 ingridients together, place a 1/2 tb into the center of a wonton wrapper, moisten the edges with water, fold into a triangle, then bring the corners to meet and overlap moistening with water.

Deep fry for like 1 minute, if that.

I only made 12 of these, but had tons of leftove filling. I didnt want to go through the process of making them if they wern't good. Ofcourse they were a big hit! They were yummy dipped in the ginger dressing.

NOTE: I hate seafood, crab meat being something I really dont like, the smell while mixing it made me nauseous, but to stay in spirit as I always ask my children to try new things, I tasted the crab rangoon and ended up eating the majority of them

January 12th, 2012, 01:54 PM
CHINESE LEMON CHICKEN

Read more about it at Cooks.com - Recipe - Chinese Lemon Chicken

2 boneless chicken breast
1 egg
Salt and pepper
1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. cornstarch
Peanut oil
Lemon sauce

Pull loin from breast (half chicken lengthwise) to make 4 pieces. Heat oil in deep pan. Dip chicken parts into mixture of beaten egg and salt and pepper. Mix together flour and cornstarch. Dip egg batter chicken to coat. Deep fry in hot oil until browned. Drain, place on heat proof platter, pour hot lemon sauce over. Serves with rice.

LEMON SAUCE:

1 c. sugar
2/3 c. water
2 tbsp. cornstarch
Zest from 1 lemon
Juice from same lemon
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
Dash white pepper
1/8 tsp. turmeric powder
Dash salt
1 tbsp. butter

In medium saucepan over low heat, mix everything together stirring constantly cook about 15 minutes or until mixture is clear and thicken. Pour over chicken. I make the sauce first and put a lid on it and set off the hot burner then cook the chicken while the rice is boiling.

This dish was great we are definately adding this one to our rotation!

Last edited by Happy Song; January 12th, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
January 12th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I started from a recipe for orange ginger chicken and made a few changes. I had 2 grapefruit, 3 limes, and 2 oranges that needed to be used so I juiced them for the 2 cups of oj the recipe called for. I added about a tablespoon of grated fresh ginger, a little maple syrup, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 2 cloves of grated garlic to the juice and poured it over the chicken in the crockpot. Let it cook for 4 hours on low. I mixed 1/4 c corn starch and 1/4 c cold water, then added it to the crockpot to simmer for another half hour. Served over rice.

I really like the flavor from the grapefruit added. Next time I make this, I will add some spice element, maybe some red pepper.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my awesome siggy!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
January 12th, 2012, 11:18 PM

CASHEW CHICKEN

Read more about it at Cooks.com - Recipe - Cashew Chicken

2 whole chicken breasts, skinned & cubed
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. ginger
1 1/2 c. green vegetables (broccoli, pea pods, etc.)
1 sm. onion, cubed
1 tbsp. cornstarch dissolved in 2 tbsp. soy sauce & 1/4 c. chicken broth, dash ginger
1 c. roasted cashews
1 green onion, minced (even tops)
2 tbsp. oil

Marinate chicken in next 5 ingredients and let stand 20 minutes (or longer in refrigerator). Set wok or large skillet on high heat, add 1 teaspoon oil; heat until hot. Stir fry chicken 2 to 3 minutes or until white, remove, add remaining oil, stir fry onions 1 minute. Add vegetables; stir fry until tender crisp. Return chicken to wok/skillet. Stir in cornstarch mixture; cook until thickened. Stir in cashews. Garnish with green onion.

MONGOLIAN BEEF

Read more about it at Cooks.com - Recipe - Mongolian Beef

1 lg. round steak, sliced very thinly
3-5 red hot dried peppers (Chinese)
2 bunches scallions, sliced
2 onions, sliced
3 cloves garlic, whole
1/2 c. soy sauce
2 tbsp. rice wine
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. sesame oil
1/2 c. oil
2 tbsp. sesame oil

Mix together soy sauce, rice wine, sugar and sesame oil plus 1/2 cup water. Pour over sliced beef and marinate overnight. Heat wok. Add 1/2 cup oil, fry garlic and peppers until burnt, remove. Drain meat reserving liquid. Add meat removing as it gets browned, drain off oil.
In 2 teaspoons sesame oil cook scallion and onions until soft. Add meat and reserved liquid. Cook until thickens (may add 1 tablespoon cornstarch to thicken).

Last edited by Happy Song; January 14th, 2012 at 03:06 AM.
January 14th, 2012, 05:25 AM
Kung Pao Chicken

1lb boneless-skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1” pieces)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons sesame oil
3 tablespoons green onions (chopped)
3 garlic cloves (minced)
˝ teaspoon powdered ginger
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
2 sticks of Celery
6 baby carrots, sliced
1/3 cup dry roasted "HOT" peanuts

Step 1: combine the chicken and cornstarch in a small bowl and toss to coat. Heat sesame oil in a wok over medium heat, add chicken and stir fry 5-7 minutes or until no longer pink inside. Remove chicken.

Add green onions, garlic, celery, carrots and powdered ginger. stir fry til veggies are tender.

Combine vinegar, soy sauce and sugar in a small bowl. Mix well and add the sauce, returning chicken to skillet. Stir, top with peanuts. Served over brown rice.

This was really good. we used the hot peanuts instead of adding crushed red peppers as the recipe states, so that it wouldnt be too hot for the kids. I served theirs without peanuts but they ended up picking all of my peanuts off my plate lol

Cream Cheese Wontons

1 4 oz block of cream cheese
1 egg
sugar
honey
wonton wrappers

mix it and heat slightly to melt honey.

Put a 1/2 tb in the center of a wonton wrapper, shape into a star. Deep fry til golden brown.

This is DH's fav from the restaurants. HE made these himself with no recipe and the filling is fantastic, would make an awesome crepe filling. I hate the texture of cream cheese but with the honey addition it really makes it creamy.

January 14th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Sesame Chicken

Perfect Sesame Chicken Recipe - Allrecipes.com

January 14th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

Chicken and Vegetables
1 Head of garlic Minced
Large chunk of minced ginger (Equal to garlic)
1 Head of broccoli, cut into pieces
Can of Baby corn
1 package of Snow peas
1 cup sliced carrots
2 sliced chicken breasts
Cooked rice
4 tbsp water
Oil
1 piece of sliced celery

Heat your steamer pot, mix sliced chicken with 1/3 of garlic and ginger, add celery. Steam for 10-12 min.
In large pan fry remaining garlic and ginger until brown. Add rest of vegetables and water, stir, Put lid on and steam until broccoli is tender crisp. Add chicken. Serve over rice.

This was quite good, I used the same manner of cooking the veggies as the other night with the bok choy, I googled how to steam chicken (Mostly for how long to steam it for) I cooked the chicken seperatly so that way Orion could have some, he gobbled it up. Clay poured honey garlic sauce all over his after tasting it plain and declaring it good (He loves honey garlic sauce will use any excuse to use it) I kind of overdid it on the snow peas though, a few too many.

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
January 15th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Captain Pieffle

Chinese Hamburger Casserole
Cooks.com

1 lb. hamburger
1 c. diagonally sliced celery
3/4 c. chopped onion
1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen peas
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
2 tbsp. milk
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 c. Chinese noodles

Brown hamburger. Drain off fat. Place hamburger in bottom of a casserole. Make layers of the celery, onion, and peas. Combine soup, milk, soy sauce, and pepper. Pour over vegetables and top with noodles. Bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees. Serves 6.

Thanks to leecat for making my Awesome siggy!
January 15th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
DH's Chinese Meal

Quote:
Red Cooked Pork on Steamed Buns with cucumber, Garlic Stir-Fried Rapini, and Candied Bananas

I had mixed results this time. I'm really happy with how the pork dish came out. I'm definitely going to be getting more comfortable with braising. The steamed buns were a bit doughy, but they were good. I didn't care for the rapini because of its bitter taste, but I don't think that was my preparation of it. The bananas tasted pretty good after the frying step. I apparently messed up the candy-ing step, though. They came out with a bit of a burnt taste to them.

Red Cooked Pork:
Red Cooked Pork Redux | Red Cook
(Substituted boneless ribs for pork belly, anise seed for whole star anise, and a pale dry sherry for the Shaoxing wine due to availability of ingredients)

Steamed Buns:
Almost Bourdain: Mantou ?? (Chinese Steamed Buns)

Garlic Stir-Fry:
Stir-fry Fortnight III ? Plain Veggie Stir-fry | Red Cook

Candied Bananas:
Banana Fritters Recipe - Chinese Dessert Recipes - Deep Fry Candied Banana Fritters

Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
January 15th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Attempt number two at Sesame Chicken:

It was still on the salty side omitting the salt. May choose another recipe next time.

Last edited by esparando para bebé; January 15th, 2012 at 01:22 PM.
January 15th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me

Egg Rolls
1/4 c. soy sauce
2 tbsp dry sherry
4 tsp cornstarch
veg. oil
6 c. chopped or shredded cabbage
1 c. chopped fresh mushrooms
2/3 c. thinly sliced green onions
1/2 lb ground beef
3 cloves garlic
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
12 egg roll wrappers

blend soy sauce and sherry into cornstarch in cup until smooth. Heat wok or large skillet over md-high heat. Add cabbage, mushrooms and onions; stir-fry.
In separate skillet brown beef, garlic and red pepper. Spoon off fat. Stir soy sauce mixture and add to meat; stir-fry until sauce boils and thickens. Add to cabbage mixture, heat through, mixing well. Wrap in eggroll wrappers. Bake at 350* until golden brown.

These were served with a stirfry of chicken, onions, green peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, and baby corn with Panda Express orange sauce over rice.

January 15th, 2012, 08:54 PM
NewportMamaBear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to NewportMamaBear
Pork Stir Fry (not even sure I should enter after seeing what everyone else made).

2 pork steaks and 2 pork chops, trimmed of fat and cut into bite-sized pieces
Kirkland stir-fry veggie mix (not preseasoned, just frozen)
Stir-fry sauce with some dry hot mustard thrown into the mix

(if I don't get credit, it's okay...it was a rough week and I didn't have any of my cookbooks or the availability of going to a store for it).
January 16th, 2012, 02:05 AM
EGG DROP SOUP

Read more about it at Cooks.com - Recipe - Egg Drop Soup

1 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
1 1/2 tbsp. water
4 c. chicken broth (canned or homemade)
1 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. granulated chicken bouillon
2 lg. eggs (loosely beaten in a bowl)
2 tbsp. chopped fresh scallions
1 1/2 tsp. sesame oil

Combine cornstarch and water. Combine cornstarch mixture with broth, soy sauce and granulated bouillon in a 2 quart pot; cook on high heat until mixture boils. Turn heat a little lower. Hold eggs in a bowl high above the pot and pour eggs in a slow stream, stirring gently with a long handled spoon, into boiling mixture. Add scallions and oil. Mix well and season to taste. Serve hot.

Stir fry beef

Diced veggies
left over beef
left over rice
soy sauce
oil
garlic
ginger

Stir fry veggies add meat toss in rice add water cook until hot.

January 16th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird

Mongolian Beef.
This turned out great! Very yummy, and easy. I will probably make it again!
P. F. Chang's Mongolian Beef Recipe - Food.com - 66121

January 16th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen_at_the_lake View Post
Pork Stir Fry (not even sure I should enter after seeing what everyone else made).

2 pork steaks and 2 pork chops, trimmed of fat and cut into bite-sized pieces
Kirkland stir-fry veggie mix (not preseasoned, just frozen)
Stir-fry sauce with some dry hot mustard thrown into the mix

(if I don't get credit, it's okay...it was a rough week and I didn't have any of my cookbooks or the availability of going to a store for it).
Kristen, I have no problem with this dish. The veggie mix was not pre-seasoned so it counts. Ideally, you would have made the sauce, but we all know things come up. You'll definitely get credit.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search