Week 2: Chinese

52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge

Branch out with your cooking by participating in this fun challenge with weekly themes. You can join any time in 2012!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2012, 02:53 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Post your pictures and recipes here.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
January 9th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Jook

Pictures coming soon!

Wayne's Jook

Nicole's Jook

Breakfast:

Jook/Congee

Ingredients:
•3/4 cup long grain rice
•9 cups water
•1 teaspoon salt

Preparation:

In a large pot, bring the water and rice to a boil.
When the rice is boiling, turn the heat down to medium low. Place the lid on the pot, tilting it to allow steam to escape (the same as you would do when making cooked rice.
Cook on medium low to low heat, stirring occasionally, until the rice has the thick, creamy texture of porridge (1 - 1 1/4 hours). Add the salt, taste and add seasonings if desired. Serve with garnishes such as crushed peanuts if desired.

What I did was put the 9 cups water in the crock pot and let it cook on high, then turned it to medium when i went to bed. Any way it was prtty much like cream of wheat or corn meal mush.

Last edited by Happy Song; January 10th, 2012 at 02:28 AM.
January 9th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm tempted to try this myself, how did it taste? Did you add anything to it? More important... did your kids eat it?
January 9th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Wayne did his up chinese style with last night's leftovers. Mine was done up like oatmral/cream of wheat with butter, brown sugar and maple syrup. The kids I did up like their home made yogurt with blueberry syrup.

Scarlett 3 and I ate it. DH wasn't froggy on it but he doesn't like the texture of porridge. Beau 1 didn't eat it, but he likes to feed himself and all the bites I got in him he ate, without spitting out.

January 9th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Song View Post
Wayne did his up chinese style with last night's leftovers. Mine was done up like oatmral/cream of wheat with butter, brown sugar and maple syrup. The kids I did up like their home made yogurt with blueberry syrup.

Scarlett 3 and I ate it. DH wasn't froggy on it but he doesn't like the texture of porridge. Beau 1 didn't eat it, but he likes to feed himself and all the bites I got in him he ate, without spitting out.

Boo, I think I'd like it, but I'm sure DH and my girl would not. I might search around and see if I can find a smaller recipe. Seems silly to cook for just myslef, but I love cream of wheat, so this sounds good to me.
January 9th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'll be doing Healthy Orange Chicken

Recipe and Picture to come
January 9th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I'm going to make my own eggrolls. I'm so excited!

January 10th, 2012, 02:37 AM
Brittanie DON"T DO IT! These were so good we ate the whole batch of them for lunch. I had never made them from scratch and they made pemade ones taste like garbabge...

Egg rolls

PORK EGG ROLLS

Read more about it at Cooks.com - Recipe - Pork Egg Rolls
Content Copyright © 2012 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

1/2 lb. sausage
1/2 tbsp. wine
1 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 c. shredded bamboo shoots
1/2 c. mushrooms
1 1/2 c. cabbage
1 can bean sprouts
2 tbsp. minced green onions
1 tsp. minced ginger
1/2 c. oil
1 tbsp. salt
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. sugar
3 tbsp. cornstarch with 1/2 c. water
Egg roll skins
Oil for deep frying

Mix sausage, wine, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, and 2 tablespoons soy sauce; soak for 15 minutes. Shred mushrooms, cabbage, and bean sprouts. Heat 1/4 cup oil; fry green onions, ginger, and pork. Fry for a few minutes, then add bamboo shoots, mushrooms, cabbage, and bean sprouts. Add 1 tablespoon salt, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, sugar, and fry for 5 minutes; add cornstarch-water mixture; remove from heat and cool. Roll as directed on egg roll package; seal with cornstarch. Deep fry until crisp.

Since JM was down when I made these I didn't follow the recipe at all.

January 10th, 2012, 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama.Angie View Post
Boo, I think I'd like it, but I'm sure DH and my girl would not. I might search around and see if I can find a smaller recipe. Seems silly to cook for just myslef, but I love cream of wheat, so this sounds good to me.
I love cream of wheat too! What I would recommend then is using that last 1/2 cup rice you have left over from you chinese food meals save it and add water the next morning. Seriously I used 9 cups water to 1 cup rice and that was different than the recipe. So 1/2 cup cook rice would take about 2 cups water and the very nature of porridge is forgiving...

I am curious how the left over Jook is this morning? I'll eat it. My poor blog is dedicated to eating food storage stuff, and I have been looking for porridge recipes trying to get my kids to eat it. My goal is to try different ways of dressing it. Any way one recipe has chocolate and bananas [i am going to f/s baby food bananas) in oatmeal. I used a hershey bar to add to the hype. I figured I have to teach my kids to eat this kind of stuff even if I have to sugar coat it.

January 10th, 2012, 04:07 AM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Orange Chicken

Ingredients:

Chicken-
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1-1/2” cubes)
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
1 eggs (beaten)
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
Oil (for frying)

Orange Sauce-
1 ½ cups water
2 tablespoons orange juice
¼ cup lemon juice
1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon orange zest (grated)
1 cup packed brown sugar
½ teaspoon ginger root (minced)
½ teaspoon garlic (minced)
2 tablespoons green onion (chopped)
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water

Recipe from here: Foodbuzz 24, 24, 24: Chinese Buffet at Home | Free Online Recipes | Free Recipes

I added the broccoli & rice so Id have something to eat, I cant eat alot of chicken as it makes me sick, hence why there isn't alot of chicken in my picture

Overall the taste was fabulous, but my sauce never thickened, I even added more cornstarch and it never thickened, even once it was on the chicken and cooled slightly.

I added the orange slices so the kids would try it, since it dealt with oranges and they did and they loved it! DH thought it was pretty awesome too. He loves chinese, I dont so this is his week. lol

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
January 10th, 2012, 05:14 AM
Okay, after a busy day of cooking yesterday I'm finally sitting down to look at the photos. I've really been looking forward to Chinese week, and went a tad overboard shopping, I think I'll be a cooking fool again today to avoid spoilage. The upside, according to my husband, is the house smells like Chinatown this morning after all my efforts yesterday. We used to live in East Chinatown when we went to collage, so it's sort of a nostalgic thing.

Enough rambling!

Mongolian beef...

Ingredients:

8 oz beef tenderloin (thinly sliced)
2 tablespoons cooking oil
2 stalks leeks/scallion (sliced diagonally)
1 inch ginger (finely chopped)
3 cloves garlic (thinly sliced)

Marinade:

1 teaspoon corn starch
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon Chinese cooking wine (rice wine or Shaoxing wine)

Sauce:

2 teaspoons oyster sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon dark soy sauce
3 dashes white pepper powder
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon Maggi seasoning
1 tablespoon sugar or to taste
Salt to taste

Method:

Marinate the beef slices with the seasonings for 30 minutes. Heat up a wok with 1 tablespoon of oil and stir-fry the marinated beef until they are half-done. Dish out and set aside.

Heat up another 1 tablespoon of oil and saute the garlic and ginger until aromatic. Add the beef back into the wok and then the sauce. Continue to stir-fry until the beef slices are almost done, then add the leeks/scallions into the wok. Do a few quick stirs, add salt to taste, dish out and serve hot.

King oyster mushrooms in oyster sauce...

I used the recipe from here, but sort of tweaked it. My store was out of greens, I used baby bok choy as a bed, and not that much. I didn't use crimini mushrooms, and I didn't thin slice the mushrooms as you can see. The sauce and cooking method was all the same.

Pork and lotus root soup...

Pork Ribs and Lotus Root Soup Recipe
Ingredients:

1 lb lean pork ribs
1 lotus root
2 dried honey dates
8-10 dried red dates
6 cups water
Salt to taste

Method:

Cut the pork ribs into short lengths and set aside. Peel off the skin of lotus root and cut into slices. Soak the dried honey dates and dried red dates in warm water for 5 minutes. Bring the pot of water to boil and add in all the ingredients. Cover the pot and simmer for 1 hour or until well cooked. Add salt to taste.

**Note** I didn't use pork ribs, I had a lot of ground pork, so I made the broth sort of consomme style with ground pork for flavouring. I think it turned out just fine.

Chow mein...

Didn't really use a recipe for this one. It's pretty standard American-Chinese style steamed chow mien. I have stir fried garlic, baby bok choy, onions, broccoli, bean sprouts, and beef added to the noodles, and tossed with soy sauce to taste. I added red chili to this portion, as DH loves all things spicy.
January 10th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Potstickers...

Ingredients:

1/2 pound ground pork
5 medium size shrimp
1 (big) leave napa cabbage (finely cut)
Some chopped cilantro leaves
1 teaspoon shaoxing wine or Japanese sake
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 inches ginger (grated)
1 pack potsticker skin (choose the thickest brand)
Oil for pan-frying
1/2 cup water
Chinese black vinegar or Japanese rice vinegar (for dipping)

Method:

Combine the ground pork, shrimp, chopped napa cabbage and seasonings together. Set aside.

To make potstickers, place a small spoonful of the filling in the center of the skin. Dab a little water with your finger and circle around the edge of the skin, and then fold and pleat the potsticker accordingly. Repeat the same for the rest.

To pan fry the potstickers, coat a frying pan with a little cooking oil and turn to medium heat. Place the dumplings on the frying pan and then turn the heat to high. Pan fry the potstickers until the bottoms turn golden brown and crisp. Add the water and cover the frying pan with its lid immediately. Cook until water has evaporated and turn the heat to low. Cook the potstickers for another 2 minutes or so, dish out and serve hot with Chinese black vinegar.

**Note** I bought my potsticker skins pre-made. I also didn't use napa cabbage, I like it, just not in potstickers. I also did not fry mine, I steamed them.

Crab Rangoon...

Ingredients:

1 brick (8 oz) Kraft Philadelphia Regular Cream Cheese, at room temperature
2 oz crab meat or 2 sticks imitation crab meat (finely diced)
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
Pinch of salt
20 wonton wrappers
Oil, for deep frying

Method:

Mix all the cream cheese, crab meat, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Stir to blend well. Place about 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese filling in the middle of a wonton wrapper. Fold the two ends of the wonton wrapper together. Fold the other two ends to make a tiny parcel. Pinch to seal tight and make sure that there is no leakage. Use a little water to help sealing if needed.

Heat up a pot of oil for deep-frying and fry the crab rangoon until golden brown. Dish out with a strainer or slotted spoon, draining the excess oil by laying the crab rangoon on a dish lined with paper towels. Let the crab rangoon cools down a bit before serving them with sweet and sour sauce.
January 10th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I'll be frying up some sesame chicken tonight. Can't wait!!
Kyron, Porter, Donovan, Jocelyn, & expecting #5

January 10th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've got some orange ginger pork in the crockpot, it smells so good I can't wait to eat it!

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
January 10th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Char Siu (BBQ Pork)...

Ingredients:

1 lb pork butt (cut into 4 pieces)
3 clove garlic (finely chopped)
1 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil

Char Siu (Char Siew) Sauce:

1 1/2 tablespoons maltose
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon Chinese rose wine (玫瑰露酒)
3 drops red coloring (optional)
1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil

Method:

Add all ingredients in the char siu sauce in a sauce pan, heat it up and stir-well until all blended and become slightly thickened and sticky. (It will yield 1/2 cup char siu sauce.) Transfer out and let cool.

Marinate the pork butt pieces with 2/3 of the char siu sauce and the chopped garlic overnight. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil into the remaining char siu sauce. Keep in the fridge.

The next day, heat the oven to 375 degree F and roast the char siu for 15 minutes (shake off the excess char siu sauce before roasting). Transfer them out of the oven and thread the char siu pieces on metal skewers and grill them over fire (I used my stove top). Brush the remaining char siu sauce while grilling until the char siu are perfectly charred. Slice the char siu into bite-size pieces, drizzle the remaining char siu sauce over and serve immediately with steamed white rice.

**Note** I used pork tenderloin, as we don't care for fatty meats. I also did not grill, because I was too cold to go outside. So this is just baked.
January 10th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Orange ginger pork
1 can of frozen orange juice concentrate
2 oranges squeezed and a little pulp removed
4 boneless pork chops diced into 1 inch cubes
Carrots about 2 cups(ish)
1 red pepper chopped
1 green pepper chopped
Large piece of minced ginger
1 head of minced garlic
1 medium Onion
Red chili flakes, about a tsp?
Pepper

Put everything in crockpot, add a little water until it looks right (I think I added about a cup and half of water) Heat on high until mixture is hot then turn down to low for 6-8 hours. Serve over Rice, you could add some sesame seed to this and it would add some extra flavour and some sesame oil near the end.

I just read a bunch of different recipes to inspire me and made this up, I’ve tried to give estimates of amounts but I don’t measure when I cook so it is difficult. This was good but a little spicy, I have three theories regarding that, 1) The red pepper I used wasn’t a bell but some other type, (It looked a little different but I chalked it up to mutations) 2) The ginger made it spicy 3) I just can’t taste properly since I burnt my tongue on coffee yesterday. I think it is probably #1. If I made this again I think I would add less water but another can of orange juice concentrate and skip the fresh oranges all together.

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
January 11th, 2012, 01:13 AM
STIR-FRIED RICE WITH PORK

Read more about it at Cooks.com - Recipe - Stir-Fried Rice With Pork

1/2 cup green onion, sliced
1/2 cup celery, diagonally sliced
2 cups pork roast, diced
1 tablespoon fresh garlic, finely minced
2 tablespoons oil
3 cups cooked rice, cold
1 cup water chestnuts, canned, sliced
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt (or hot salt)
1 egg, slightly beaten
pinch of hot pepper flakes or cayenne, to taste
2-3 tablespoons soy sauce

Sauté onions, celery, and pork in oil until vegetables are tender crisp.
Add rice and water chestnuts. Combine pepper, salt, egg and soy sauce.

Stir into rice mixture. Cook, stirring 2 to 3 minutes or until heated.

CHINESE BEEF AND PEA PODS

Read more about it at Cooks.com - Recipe - Chinese Beef And Pea Pods

1 lb. sirloin steak, 3/4 inch thick

MARINADE:

1 tbsp. soy sauce
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1 clove garlic crushed

1 (7 oz.) pkg. frozen snow peas
1/4 c. salad oil or less
1/4 lb. mushrooms or 1 sm. can
1 med. onion, sliced
1 can chop suey vegetables
1 2/3 c. chicken broth, divided
3 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. sugar

Cut meat diagonally into very thin slices; mix soy sauce, ginger, and garlic. Sprinkle on meat; toss marinade and meat; let sit for one hour.
In large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil; brown meat, turning once. Remove meat; keep warm. Add 2 tablespoons oil; cook and stir mushrooms, onions, and vegetables 2 minutes. Stir in pea pods and 1 cup chicken broth. Cover; cook 2 minutes. Mix remaining chicken broth, cornstarch, soy sauce, salt, and sugar. Pour into skillet. Cook, stirring, until mixture thickens and boil and stir 1 minute. Add meat and heat through. Serve on rice or noodles.

January 11th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Im making orange ginger chicken tomorrow

**Correction-making it today!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my awesome siggy!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.

Last edited by Shades of Grey; January 11th, 2012 at 10:50 AM.
January 11th, 2012, 01:05 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We had Simple Egg Drop Soup and Sesame Chicken for supper last night. Both were new recipes for me and I will definitely be making them again!

Simple Egg Drop Soup:

Ingredients

1 (49.5 fluid ounce) can chicken broth
1 bunch chopped green onions
1/4 teaspoon white sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/3 cup cold water
3 eggs
2 tablespoons cold water

Directions

Heat chicken broth and green onions in a large pot over medium-high heat. Mix sugar, soy sauce, cornstarch, and 1/3 cup of cold water in a bowl until smooth. Reduce heat and stir soy sauce mixture in to the broth. Boil soup on high for 1 minute, then reduce heat to medium-low.
Beat 3 eggs with 2 tablespoons of cold water. Using a fork, stir egg mixture in to soup and cook until eggs are opaque, about 2 minutes.

(Easy Egg Drop Soup Recipe - Allrecipes.com)

We don't care much for onions so omitted those. I did add some canned peas and carrots (I would have done fresh peas and carrots if this hadn't been a last minute decision to make this...I think it would have tasted much better with the fresh peas and carrots).

Sesame Chicken:

(Sorry not a very good picture. Was having a terrible time with my white plate reflecting my flash.)

Ingredients

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon dry sherry
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 dash sesame oil
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast meat - cubed

1 cup chicken broth
1 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon chile paste
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup water

1 quart olive oil for frying
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds

Directions

Sift flour, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, baking soda, and baking powder into a bowl. Pour in low-sodium soy sauce, sherry, 2 tablespoons water, vegetable oil, and a dash of sesame oil; stir until smooth. Stir in chicken until coated with the batter, then cover, and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring chicken broth, sugar, vinegar, dark soy sauce, sesame oil, chile paste, and garlic to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Dissolve 1/4 cup cornstarch into 1/2 cup of water, and stir into boiling sauce. Simmer until the sauce thickens and turns clear, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low, and keep sauce warm.
Heat olive oil in a deep fryer or large saucepan to a temperature of 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Drop in the battered chicken pieces, a few at a time, and fry until they turn golden brown and float to the top of the oil, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain on a paper towel lined plate. To serve, place fried chicken pieces onto a serving platter, and pour the hot sauce overtop. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds to garnish.

(Perfect Sesame Chicken Recipe - Allrecipes.com)

I didn't have any sherry, so substituted 1 Tablespoon of apple juice. We also don't care for things that are too spicy, so omitted the chile paste. I thought the sauce was pretty sweet (good but sweet) so think next time I will add a partial amount of the chile paste and see how that changes it. I also thought the chicken tasted absolutely wonderful without the sauce. Couldn't stop snacking on them! LOL!

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

January 11th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Captain Pieffle

Spicy Stir-Fry Chicken with Ginger
Recipe from Cooks.com

SPICY STIR-FRY CHICKEN WITH GINGER

FOR SAUCE:
2 tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp. orange juice
1 tsp. dark sesame oil
1 tsp. honey
1 tsp. crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp. cornstarch

STIR-FRY:
1 tbsp. canola oil
3/4 lb chicken breast halves, cut into thin strips
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
3 minced garlic cloves
2 cups sliced bok choy
1 cup snow peas
1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips

In bowl, stir together all sauce ingredients. Heat wok or lg skillet over high heat. Add oil, coat bottom. Add chicken, stir-fry 4-5 min, remove chicken, keep warm. If needed add more oil to skillet or wok. Add ginger and garlic, cook 30 seconds. Add bok choy, snow peas, and bell pepper. Stir-fry 1-2 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
Return chicken to wok. Stir in sauce. Bring to boil, stirring constantly.

Serve.

This was really good...even tho hubby was hesitant with the Bok Choy...lol My 2 year old gobbled it up...veggies and all...my 3 year old...wouldn't touch anything but the rice.

Thanks to leecat for making my Awesome siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search