Week 3: Soup

52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge

Branch out with your cooking by participating in this fun challenge with weekly themes. You can join any time in 2012!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2012, 03:51 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Post your pictures and recipes here. Week runs from Monday-Sunday.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
January 16th, 2012, 03:07 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Does Chili count as soup?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
January 16th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Cream of Mushroom soup

Flour
Butter divided
Onion
mushroom
Milk
salt
pepper
garlic
Chicken boullion
In a soup pot add Flour and butter to make a roux. In seperate pan slowly cook (sweating down) onion and mushroom in butter with lid on until onion becomes clear. In soup pot add milk salt and pepper garlic uncooked mushrooms and chicken boulion. Cook until thickened add reserved oinion and mushrooms.

CABBAGE SOUP

Read more about it at Cooks.com - Recipe - Cabbage Soup
Content Copyright © 2012 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

12 oz. V-8 juice
4 ribs celery, cut in 2 inch pieces
2 (14 oz.) cans sliced style stewed tomatoes, undrained
2 (14 oz.) cans clear beef broth
1 broth can of water
3/4 lb. ham steak in bits (optional)
1 onion, size of a lemon, diced small
1/4 of a 2 1/2 lb. head of cabbage, diced with core and tough leaves removed
1 tsp. dry minced parsley
1 envelope onion soup mix
Generous dash of pepper
Salt, if desired, to taste

Put V-8 juice and celery into a blender on high speed until minced. Combine with all other ingredients in a soup kettle. Bring to a boil. At once turn to a gentle simmer and let it simmer covered 2 hours or until cabbage is tender. Makes 6 to 8 servings. Leftovers can be frozen and thawed to use within a year.

January 16th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lesha View Post
Does Chili count as soup?
I'd think so.

Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
January 16th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Pics coming as soon as dinner is done, (I'm just waiting for my noodles to soak so I figured I would post my recipe up now.
Vietnamese soup Broth

Beef Soup bones
Ginger
Garlic
Onions
Cinnamon
Chinese five spice
Coriander (Ground, whole seed would be better)
Cloves
Carrots

I put the soup bones and all the above ingredients in my crockpot overnight and all day on low, All they had at the supermarket were some vacuum sealed ethnic soup bones, in retrospect I should have bought more as these really don’t have much marrow in them. So I will likely have to add a beef broth cube and some pho paste.
Actual Soup
Beef
Cilantro
Bean sprouts
Rice noodles
Limes

Freeze your beef, take it out to thaw a little, then slice almost paper thin. (It is easier to do when frozen) Soak your rice noodles, then cook them according to package. Bring broth to boil, I toss the meat right into the pot of broth but lots of ppl put it in the bowls then put the meat in. Ladle broth and beef over the noodles in individual bowls and add your fixings as you like (Cilantro, sprouts, lime Chili sauce,)

I don't really follow one recipe but these have been helpful
Beef Pho Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Vietnamese Pho Noodle Soup | Nibblish Tasty Recipe | Feeling Nibblish?
Vietnamese Pho Recipe: Beef Noodle Soup | Steamy Kitchen Recipes

It was delicious Though next time I make it I really need to have cinnamon sticks instead of powdered because I don't like the feeling of the powdered in the soup. I also need to remember not to let the baby feed himself rice noodles... What a mess.....

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook

Last edited by Tiki; January 16th, 2012 at 05:54 PM.
January 16th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me

Taco soup

1 lb ground turkey, browned with onion and drained
1 can each corn, green beans, diced tomatoes, and kidney beans, all drained
chicken stock
taco seasoning to taste.

serve with grated cheese, sour cream, and fritos.

January 16th, 2012, 07:27 PM

Homemade Albondigas Soup Recipe - Allrecipes.com

The cilantro was a bit strong for DH but I liked it. After looking at other recipes, I did add Cumin. I also needed an egg to help bind the meatballs.

Last edited by esparando para bebé; January 16th, 2012 at 07:34 PM.
January 16th, 2012, 07:47 PM
NewportMamaBear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to NewportMamaBear
Cheddar Potato Soup (w/ Bacon)

1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup chopped celery
2 Tbsp butter or margarine
4 cups diced, peeled potatoes
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups (8 oz) shredded cheese
2 cups milk
1/4 tsp pepper
Dash paprika
Seasoned Croutons & Fresh Parsley

Saute mushrooms and celery until tender. Add potatoes and broth, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10-15 minutes (until potatoes are tender).
Puree in small batches (in a blender) until smooth; return to pan. Stir in cheese, milk, pepper, and paprika. Cook and stir on low heat until cheese is melted. Garnish with croutons and parsley.

This is a recipe that I wrote down from a book that my mom has. I did not use parsley and I added bacon. It was delicious.
January 17th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Captain Pieffle
What about Chowders? Do they count as soups?

Thanks to leecat for making my Awesome siggy!
January 17th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Yes. I consider chowders soups.

January 17th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Captain Pieffle

Cauliflower Soup
Recipe: Cooks.com

1 lg. pkg. (16 oz.) cauliflower
1 stick butter
1 pkg. onion soup mix
1 c. flour
2 c. milk
2 c. Cheddar cheese

Boil cauliflower until tender - reserve approximately 2 cups of the liquid and lightly mash cauliflower to bite-size pieces - reserve. Melt one stick of butter. Add one cup of flour and 1 package of onion soup mix. Mix and then add 2 cups of milk over medium heat. Add 2 cups of cheese - continue to stir until it turns to a thick cheese sauce - reduce heat to low and add cauliflower and liquid - heat on low.

Thanks to leecat for making my Awesome siggy!
January 17th, 2012, 12:19 PM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Pics coming as soon as dinner is done, (I'm just waiting for my noodles to soak so I figured I would post my recipe up now.
Vietnamese soup Broth

Beef Soup bones
Ginger
Garlic
Onions
Cinnamon
Chinese five spice
Coriander (Ground, whole seed would be better)
Cloves
Carrots

I put the soup bones and all the above ingredients in my crockpot overnight and all day on low, All they had at the supermarket were some vacuum sealed ethnic soup bones, in retrospect I should have bought more as these really don’t have much marrow in them. So I will likely have to add a beef broth cube and some pho paste.
Actual Soup
Beef
Cilantro
Bean sprouts
Rice noodles
Limes

Freeze your beef, take it out to thaw a little, then slice almost paper thin. (It is easier to do when frozen) Soak your rice noodles, then cook them according to package. Bring broth to boil, I toss the meat right into the pot of broth but lots of ppl put it in the bowls then put the meat in. Ladle broth and beef over the noodles in individual bowls and add your fixings as you like (Cilantro, sprouts, lime Chili sauce,)

I don't really follow one recipe but these have been helpful
Beef Pho Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Vietnamese Pho Noodle Soup | Nibblish Tasty Recipe | Feeling Nibblish?
Vietnamese Pho Recipe: Beef Noodle Soup | Steamy Kitchen Recipes

It was delicious Though next time I make it I really need to have cinnamon sticks instead of powdered because I don't like the feeling of the powdered in the soup. I also need to remember not to let the baby feed himself rice noodles... What a mess.....
This is seriously my favorite food ever! I have to try ti now, where do I find a "beef soup bone"?

We are all sick here so I made chicken noodle soup. I don't follow any recipe, just toss things in.

I think I used:

corn
italian seasoning
can of diced tomatoes
celery
linguini
garlic salt
chicken bullion
chicken

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
January 17th, 2012, 12:28 PM
potato soup

WISCONSIN POTATO CHEESE SOUP

Read more about it at Cooks.com - Recipe - Wisconsin Potato Cheese Soup

1/3 c. chopped celery
1/3 c. chopped onion
2 tbsp. butter
4 c. peeled, diced potatoes
3 c. chicken broth
2 c. milk
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
Dash of paprika
2 c. shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

In large saucepan, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Add potatoes and broth, simmer until potatoes are tender. Puree vegetables with broth in blender until mixture is smooth; return to saucepan. Stir in milk and seasonings, and blend thoroughly. Add cheese, stirring until it is melted. Garnish with croutons.

January 17th, 2012, 12:54 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Taco Soup

1 1/2 pound hamburger
30 ounce tomato sauce
1 can green beans, drained
1 can kidney beans, drained
1/2 medium onion, chopped
30 ounces diced tomatoes
1 can cream corn
1 package taco seasoning

Brown hamburger and onions, drain. Add remaining ingredients and heat through. Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

January 17th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&K'sMama View Post
This is seriously my favorite food ever! I have to try ti now, where do I find a "beef soup bone"?

We are all sick here so I made chicken noodle soup. I don't follow any recipe, just toss things in.

I think I used:

corn
italian seasoning
can of diced tomatoes
celery
linguini
garlic salt
chicken bullion
chicken

If you haven't ever made it I suggest getting the pho paste and using a little, there is a pic of it in the recipe that uses the paste, that is the best one. I have never bought those cubes that they show in the pic because they are full of MSG. I buy those at the ethnic grocer. The best beef soup bones are at the ethnic grocer (Also SOO much cheaper) You can usually get them at any grocery store, you can ask at the meat counter. I went to the discount grocery store and they only had vaccum sealed ones they were labeled "Ethnic beef bones" and they were frozen. Make sure you buy good quality rice noodles (This last time I didn't pay attention to which ones I picked and I really didn't like the brand the best brand has a black label) I also sometimes toss in beef boullian cubes.

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
January 17th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Tonights dinner was Crab corn chowder and fresh buns. I haven't ever had this before because usually it is made with cream and I can't have that. So I took a leap and made it anyways because DH always talks about how good it was at the five star resturant he used to work at. This turned out GREAT, I added more "Old Bay" seasoning then it called and a little less creamer. I think that it could have used more crab. I also didn't have any of the "Old Bay" seasoning so I googled it and made my own. It made a TON, we are going to have to freeze some if it. I don't have a recipe for the buns either but I don't think that matters because they aren't a soup.

Old Bay Seasoning Mix Recipe - Spice Mix Recipe
Corn and Crab Chowder

Last edited by Tiki; January 17th, 2012 at 08:20 PM.
January 17th, 2012, 07:11 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know if the soup I made for supper actually has a name or not. It is a recipe that my mom passed down to me, and that her mom passed down to her. Not sure how far back it goes. It is a really easy soup and I find it to be kind of a comfort food and would actually prefer it over chicken noodle soup when I am sick. We always called it Hamburger, Potato, Green Floaty Thing Soup. Don't let that title scare you though!

"Hamburger, Potato, Green Floaty Thing Soup"

Hamburger
Potatoes, peeled and cubed
Basil
beef broth or water and bullion cubes
Salt
Pepper

Brown and drain hamburger in soup pot. Add cubed potatoes, enough broth (or water and bullion cubes) to cover hamburger and potatoes by about 1-1 1/2 inches, about 1/2 Tablespoon (give or take, I've never actually measured), and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until potatoes are tender.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

January 18th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Today's lunch, I didn't follow a recipe on this one...

Tomato Cheddar and Basil soup...

I chopped up 6 roma tomatoes (Should have used maybe 8, it was a tad thin) and sauteed with half a white onion and about 1/4 a red pepper I needed to use up from the fridge. Added 6 cups of water with one chicken bouillon cube. Boiled for about 40 minutes, almost forgotten () and then blended with hand blender. Returned to simmer, added in about 1/2 cup shredded cheddar and a small handful of diced fresh basil. Salt, fresh ground pepper. Tabasco was added to DH's. Grilled cheese was served along side.
January 18th, 2012, 12:54 PM

BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP

Read more about it at Cooks.com - Recipe - Butternut Squash Soup

extra virgin olive oil
1/2 stick butter
1 or 2 large sweet onions, chopped
1/2 large fennel bulb with "fern"
1 large butternut squash
2 large carrots
white wine or Zinfandel
fresh sage
4 cans College Inn chicken broth (may use low sodium)

Pour generous amount of olive oil to cover bottom of a stock pot.
Add 1/4-1/2 stick butter. Heat over low-medium heat.

Add chopped onion. Cook until translucent.

Clean fennel bulb and the fern (the fern is the top, finely-leafed portion of the fennel) under cold water and pat dry. Detach some fern from stems, discarding stems (they can be pithy).

Chop bulb, discarding tough outer layer. Add chopped fennel bulb to onion and continue to sauté over low heat, stirring occasionally.

Peel squash and carrots. Cut squash into medium sized cubes; slice carrot.

Add approximately 2 teaspoons salt to pan (Kosher salt preferred), and sprinkle with pepper (use white pepper if available).

Turn heat to medium, add 1/4-1 cup wine to onion and fennel; cook until alcohol "burns off", approximately 4 to 5 minutes.

Add carrot and squash to pot. Add 4 or 5 cans of chicken stock and remaining butter. Cover and bring to a slow boil.

Mince several sage leaves and chop reserved fennel fern. Add to pot.

Reduce to simmer, and cook until vegetables are very tender.

Flavor with a dash of cinnamon, cayenne pepper, curry powder, nutmeg, ginger, if preferred.

Remove soup from heat and puree with hand mixer/blender

APRICOT-LENTIL SOUP

Read more about it at Cooks.com

1 1/2 c. dried lentils
6 c. vegetable stock (or water, do not use beef or chicken)
1 c. chopped dried apricots
3-4 tbsp. olive oil
1 c. chopped onions
16 oz. can stewed tomatoes
1 green pepper, chopped
1/2 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. diced potato
1/2 c. diced carrot
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. red pepper
1 tbsp. paprika
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp. chopped fresh mint

Rinse lentils, bring them to a boil in the stock or water. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Add chopped apricots and simmer, covered for another 20 minutes. Meanwhile, saute onions in oil until translucent. Add the remaining vegetables, dried spices and salt. Add 4 to 5 tablespoons of water and cook until potato and carrots are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir vegetables into lentil-apricot mixture, add canned tomatoes and simmer about 15 minutes. Add parsley and mint and serve. Serves 6.

Last edited by Happy Song; January 18th, 2012 at 12:56 PM.
January 18th, 2012, 08:53 PM
NewportMamaBear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to NewportMamaBear
Tuesday Night

Black Bean & Sausage Soup

chopped onion
minced garlic
1 can vegetable broth
black beans
potatoes-diced, peeled
dried thyme
ground cumin
diced tomatoes
kielbasa sausage

I threw it all in the crock pot and let it cook all day...super delicious.

Wednesday Night Soup

Ham Hocks & Beans
(AM)

(Dinner Time)

Farm fresh ham hock
dried bean mix
celery
carrots
garlic
water
Throw in the crock pot and let cook all day.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search