Week 4: Pan-frying

52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge

Branch out with your cooking by participating in this fun challenge with weekly themes. You can join any time in 2012!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 28th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

Spinach Hamburgers
2lbs Lean ground beef
Frozen spinach (about 1 ½ cups)
5 garlic cloves
Thaw spinach, mix with minced garlic and beef. Form into patties and pany fry until done (160F)

Oven Fries (These don\t count for the challenge but I included the recipe anyways, incase anyone was looking for a good reipe)

Cut enough potatoes into wedge pieces. Soak in cold salted water for at least an hour. Drain and dry, toss in olive oil and bake at 425F for 20-25 min.

Pan Fried Onions
Slice Onions in rings and pan fry until done.

Whole-Wheat Hamburger Buns (These don\t count for the challenge but I included the recipe anyways, incase anyone was looking for a good reipe)

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour .

1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast

1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

1 1/2 cups warm soy or rice milk

2 tsp sugar

3 tbsp vegetable oil

Mix the sugar, 1/2 cup warm water and the yeast in a pyrex cup and set aside for about 10 minutes until the mixture starts to froth, indicating the yeast is alive and well.

Mix the flours, salt and baking soda into the bowl. Stir in yeast mixture. Knead on low speed in a stand mixer or by hand for about 5 minutes, trickling in 1 cup of milk until you have a dough that's smooth but slightly sticky.

Add the oil and continue to knead until the oil has been absorbed by the dough, about 2 more minute.

Now place in an oiled bowl, turning over once to coat all over with oil, cover with a kitchen towel, and set aside for 1 hour until the dough has doubled.

Punch down the dough and divide into 6 balls

Shape them into smooth balls. Place the buns on a baking sheet, at least a couple of inches apart. Flatten the tops slightly with your fingers, and let the buns rise for an 1/2hr.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place the buns in the oven and bake 22 minutes.

Remove to a rack and allow the buns to cool before breaking them apart.

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
January 29th, 2012, 04:03 AM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Do you have a recipe for the evaporated milk concotion? DH has a can of evaporated milk his sister gave him (Don't ask, it is a long annoying story) and would love to use it in something for him.
Its just evaporated milk and powdered sugar whipped in a mixer. The recipe says to chill the milk & the bowl & beaters for 30 mins. 1 cup milk, 1 cup powdered sugar. Its supposed to whip up like whipped cream. Mine didnt, though I didn't continuously mix it as someone was over talking to me and I couldn't hear her over the kitchen aid,so I turned it off. I probably messed it up myself lol

I have tons of evaporated milk, I am always looking for something to do with it. I get WIC and I get like 3 cans a month off of it, and always get it cuz I think I'll use it, plus MIL & Granny use it for baking for the holidays so I share. (Im not a big baker) Most of the time I end up giving it when the time comes to give canned foods to the needy.

I use it to make Homemade mashed potatoes alot! Makes it really creamy!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!

Last edited by The Lesha; January 29th, 2012 at 04:06 AM.
January 29th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lesha View Post
Its just evaporated milk and powdered sugar whipped in a mixer. The recipe says to chill the milk & the bowl & beaters for 30 mins. 1 cup milk, 1 cup powdered sugar. Its supposed to whip up like whipped cream. Mine didnt, though I didn't continuously mix it as someone was over talking to me and I couldn't hear her over the kitchen aid,so I turned it off. I probably messed it up myself lol

I have tons of evaporated milk, I am always looking for something to do with it. I get WIC and I get like 3 cans a month off of it, and always get it cuz I think I'll use it, plus MIL & Granny use it for baking for the holidays so I share. (Im not a big baker) Most of the time I end up giving it when the time comes to give canned foods to the needy.

I use it to make Homemade mashed potatoes alot! Makes it really creamy!
Thanks! Orion and I have an allergy to milk (we can do some hardcheese) for xmas we asked for gift cards for grocery stores (Instead DHs sister cleaned out her pantry and went the grocery store and bought us stuff she thought we would "Need" 3/4 of it is stuff we are allergic to, some it we have already donated to the food bank.) I was hoping to find something to do with the milk for DH, I think this will work Thanks

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
January 29th, 2012, 03:52 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
DH's dish for the week:

Pan-fried salmon, oven-fried eggplant, and candied carrots

Quote:
The pan-frying definitely locked in the juices and flavor better than baking. I'm not sure I'd cook fish this way again, but I'll definitely do other meats this way. I was pretty happy with the eggplant and carrots as well. I followed all the recipes fairly closely this time.
Pan-fried salmon:
Pan-fried Salmon

Oven-fried eggplant:
Crispy, Oven-fried Eggplant | Cook with Kerry

Candied carrots:
Candied Carrots Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
January 29th, 2012, 05:57 PM

Homemade Hashbrowns

2-3 potatoes, baked & peeled.
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Cheddar cheese
Parsley flakes

Shred the baked potatoes with a cheese grater and sprinkle into a hot frying pan. Add salt, pepper , garlic powder & parsley flakes mix up real good. Flatten the potatoes and cover, cook for 4-5 minutes. Then using a spatula flip some of the potatoes to cook the other side.

When potatoes are done, top with cheddar cheese.

I also pan friend the eggs with no oil. Its as simple as eggs, salt, pepper, scrambled, add in cheese when done. We like us some cheese and weekends is free for all!

The hashbrowns are something new, Mason the potato monster loved them. I thought they were pretty yummy myself, DH thought they tasted like your normal hashbrown and Stone wouldn’t try them as he dislikes potatoes unless they look like French fries.

I baked the potatoes for about an hr at 200 degrees.

Greek Burgers

Sprinkle greek seasoning on both sides of patty and cook.

Greek Seasoning....

1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried mint
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
1/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic

Pan fried Potatoes

Ive never panfried potatoes without alot of oil so this was new to me. I drizzled some olive oil onto sliced potatoes then tossed them into a hot skillet and covered them. Total cooking time was about 30 mins, I constantly stirred them up. I added 1 clove of minced garlic when they started to brown.

Seasoned with oregano, kosher salt, black pepper, parsley, & onion powder.

Both the burgers & potatoes were wonderful! I will never fry potatoes in a lot of oil again, these were just perfect, took a little longer but tasted so good!

January 29th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Edit: Pics added. Also I have found that most recipes that call for shallow frying you can get away with pan frying as long as you have a non stick frying pan.

Crab cakes
½ cup bread crumbs
1 tsp old bay seasoning
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp melted margarine
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
4 120g cans of crab meat- drained
4 tbsp egg free mayo
3 tbsp corn starch
1 Tbsp dried parsley

Mix everything together and form into little patties, pan fry until golden on both sides.

Potato pancakes
Potatos
Onion
Salt
Pepper
3 tbsp corn starch
Mix all together and form into pancakes, pan fry on medium heat until both sides golden.

Last edited by Tiki; January 29th, 2012 at 06:43 PM.
January 29th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Lesha, Your pan fried potatos looks good Dh made some and burnt them and seasoned them really bad (I didn't even want to post them here they were so bad)

January 29th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I never ever pan fry anything, but this turned out pretty good!
Coriander and Cumin Rubbed Pork Chops Recipe - Allrecipes.com

There's less olive oil in there than it looks

Erin even ate one! She dipped it in ketchup, but she ate it!

January 29th, 2012, 09:37 PM
JennyLee's Avatar TTC #1 after loss
I made Pioneer Woman's pan-fried pork chops. I had never made pork chops this way before, but I really liked them and they were super easy, so I will totally make them again. Mine must have been a bit thicker than the ones she used, because they took more like 5 minutes per side

Ingredients

7 pieces Or 8 Pieces Breakfast Chops (very Thin Bone-in Pork Chops)
1 cup All-purpose Flour
1 teaspoon Seasoned Salt
1 teaspoon Black Pepper
Cayenne Pepper To Taste
1/2 cup Canola Oil
1 Tablespoon Butter
Extra Salt And Pepper, To Taste

Preparation Instructions

Salt and pepper both sides of the pork chops.
Combine all dry ingredients. Dredge each side of the pork chops in the flour mixture, then set aside on a plate.
Heat canola oil over medium to medium-high heat. Add butter. When butter is melted and butter/oil mixture is hot, cook 3 pork chops at a time, 2 to 3 minutes on the first side; 1 to 2 minutes on the other side. (Make sure no pink juices remain.) Remove to a plate and repeat with remaining porch chops.
TTC #1 since 1/11, Unexplained Infertility
M/C 2/12
Polyp Removal 11/12
4 failed IUIs

IVF #1
Started stims 9/27
ER 10/8 - 24 eggs, 15 fertilized!
Blast transfer 10/13, 4 snowbabies
Very faint 10/18 (5dp5dt)
Beta #1 10/23 - 339!!!
Beta #2 10/25 - 856!!!
U/S 11/14 - Heart rate 144!

Abigail arrived 6/28/14!

My Belly Pics

Last edited by JennyLee; January 30th, 2012 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Added Picture
January 30th, 2012, 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Lesha, Your pan fried potatos looks good Dh made some and burnt them and seasoned them really bad (I didn't even want to post them here they were so bad)
Thank you so much! They took forever to cook without all the oil, but they were really good and crispy like fries! I kept them covered when I wasn't stirring them and I didnt season til the end.

January 30th, 2012, 05:18 AM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
I have pan fried Chicken and pan fried steak to add pictures of...

This eventually became a sandwich and chicken salad.

Pan Seared Rib Eye Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

Last edited by Happy Song; January 30th, 2012 at 05:29 AM.
January 30th, 2012, 08:47 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Week 4 is now closed for submissions.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search