Week 4: Pan-frying

52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge

Branch out with your cooking by participating in this fun challenge with weekly themes. You can join any time in 2012!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 22nd, 2012, 12:41 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
This is a tad early, so remember tonight's dinner doesn't count. This week is Pan-frying. Pan-frying is a technique that uses very little butter or oil. Here is a Wiki link that tells more: Pan frying - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is an explanation of the difference between this and sauteing: The Difference Between Saute, Pan Fry and Stir Fry | Reluctant Gourmet

Post your pictures and recipes in this thread as the week goes on.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)

Last edited by esparando para bebé; January 22nd, 2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: link
January 23rd, 2012, 10:44 AM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does it matter whether it's a shallow or deep fry?

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
January 23rd, 2012, 11:00 AM
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Pan-frying is neither shallow nor deep-frying. The links above talk about what it is and what qualifies.

Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
January 23rd, 2012, 05:49 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Pan fried breaded Pork Chops

Breading: Breadcrumbs, Sweet Paprika, Salt, Pepper, Onion powder, Garlic powder, Mustard powder
Pork chops
Egg free Mayo

Smash Pork chops to about 1/4in thick, dip in mayo making sure that full coverage is achieved. Dip in breading making sure to cover both sides. Let sit for 10- 15min. Pan fry each side until brown. (About 3 min per side if they are nice and thin, don't use much oil or they will burn, I use just enough to coat the pan lightly)

Pan Fried Carrots I used this recipe as a base but I used olive oil, and drizzled a little local ( I find it not as sweet as the honey you buy in stores) warm honey over them when they were done.

$2 Side: Pan Fried, Buttery Carrots

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
January 23rd, 2012, 06:58 PM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Tunisian Zataar Rubbed Pork

For Christmas DH got me some amazing locally made spice mixes, one of them being Tunisian Zataar roasting rub. Tonight I seasoned some pork rib chops with sea salt and 1-2 Tbsp. of the rub. Just rubbed it right in with my hands and then DH cooked it up in the cast iron skillet. With the cast iron, we don't even bother with any oil in the pan- it just browns right up beautifully in the well seasoned pan.

I served it with caramelized sliced onions, mushroom risotto, and steamed broccoli with bleu cheese butter. Oh my head... so delicious.

It was even kid approved, though he spoiled his dinner with cheddar bunnies, so he didn't eat a ton, but he liked everything on his plate.

January 24th, 2012, 01:45 AM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
meat in a pan Pan frying has proven more difficult for me. I was thinking shallow fry I guess.

Meat
olive oil
salt

I never add anything but salt because other seasonings burn.

Note this was super thick and didn't work well.

January 24th, 2012, 06:27 AM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Song View Post
meat in a pan Pan frying has proven more difficult for me. I was thinking shallow fry I guess.
ditto. I don't see how this is considered frying.

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
January 24th, 2012, 06:46 AM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think the difference is that this isn't technically "frying" like when you cook something in a lot of oil. It's closer to sauteeing in my mind. Just a little oil or butter or nothing, a hot pan, and a larger piece of meat to brown it up delicious and sear in that flavor.

At least, that's what I consider pan frying!

January 24th, 2012, 07:14 AM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Would an omelet be considered pan frying? lol I just made my first omelet today

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
January 24th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Lesha, I'd count an omelet. It is one big item cooked in a little bit of butter or oil.

January 24th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Yay!! My 3 yr old requested hotdogs for breakfast and I said no we dont have hot dogs for breakfast, we have eggs. He said can't you put hotdogs in an egg?

Hmmmmm.....

So here it is.... Mason's Hotdog & Cheese Omelet

Its the first omelet Ive ever made that didn't turn into scrambled eggs.

All I did was mix the eggs (4) in a bowl added some salt & pepper then poured it into my none stick frying pan. I didn't use any oil or butter, my new pan is that freakin awesome!

Cook it til the eggs set and I flipped it over like a pancake, then sprinkled cheese on it, added diced hotdogs on one side. When I thought the bottom would be done, I folded it in half. Wah la!

January 24th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Yummy Honey mustard chicken
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp hot paprika
1/4 tsp sweet paprika
1/4 tsp salt

Mix together, i usually have to microwave it a teeny tiny bit to get the honey to turn liquid
Pour over flattened chicken breasts and let marinate for atleast 1 hr

Pan fry chicken breasts until done, I just temp them to check I don't pay attention to how long on the clock. I served it with mashed potatoes and peas mmm

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
January 25th, 2012, 06:24 AM
Ooooh that looks good!!! I need new chicken recipes, so gotta try that one!

January 25th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Another Mason idea....

He asked for a grilled cheese with turkey and ranch dressing.

So I put ranch dressing on both sides of the bread, layered in some cheese & turkey. Then instead of using butter to "fry" it I just spread some ranch dressing on the outside of the bread and tossed it in the pan.

It turned out pretty and smelled amazing! Im thinking of trying the same technique with tortillas for a ranch chicken wrap or something I dunno Im thinking... lol

Forgive my plating, it was insisted on.

January 26th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Tomato Bacon Chicken

Chicken marinated in hidden valley's Garden Tomato & Bacon dressing then pan fried. Served with cucumber, tomato salad. This is what me and Mason had for lunch, first time IVe ever used the dressing as a marinade and it was fantastic. Mason wont touch the dressing but he ate the entire chicken breast, didnt have a clue it was the dressing!

January 27th, 2012, 12:14 AM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
I swear most recipes I find called "pan fried" are really shallow frying. Not really a recipe but pan fried potatoes, served with scrambled eggs and chile verde

Fried cheese (this is a new recipe) served with spaghetti

Fried cheese Oliver's twist season 1 episode 13 Bollywood

http://movies.netflix.com/​WiPlayer?...03;rkid=496624

January 27th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Chinese Chicken with broccoli

I used this marinade.

Asian Grilled Chicken | Skinnytaste

Then pan fried it with no oil, until brown.

Garlic Broccoli

Steamed broccoli
1 tb soy sauce
2 garlic cloves minced
1 1/2 tsp oil
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
3/4 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp lemon juice

The chicken was really moist, I will definitely make it this way again!

Apple Crepes

Crepes

1 cup flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
4 large eggs
3 tablespoons melted butter

Combine flour, sugar, salt, milk, four eggs and the melted butter in a blender, blend for about 3 minutes.

Heat a 12 inch non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add 1/3 cup batter and swirl to completely cover skillet. Cook until underside of crepe is very lightly starting to brown, about 2 minutes.

I used this recipe to make the filling.

Pike's Gooey Syrup Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Then I TRIED to make a whipped topping with evaporated milk & powdered sugar, but it didnt whip as the recipe said it would...so I just drizzled it on top of the crepe, then sifted on some powdered sugar for pretty.

This was yummytastic, Mason approved. Its seriously loaded with sugar though, not good for the every day!

January 27th, 2012, 02:06 PM
My dish

Pan-fried pork chops (seasoned with Chipotle, cornstarch, and garlic), Zucchini (method was closer to pan-fried than sauteed though it was the smaller pieces), and cheesy mashed potatoes

January 27th, 2012, 06:38 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Pan-Seared Talapia

Pan-Seared Tilapia Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Instead of salt and peppering the fillets I just salted them and then added some lemon pepper seasoning to the flour. I probably should have just used the lemon pepper seasoning directly on the fillet as they didn't pick up much of the seasoning in the flour. I served the tilapia with barley seasoned with lemon and parsley and salad.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

January 28th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lesha View Post
Chinese Chicken with broccoli

I used this marinade.

Asian Grilled Chicken | Skinnytaste

Then pan fried it with no oil, until brown.

Garlic Broccoli

Steamed broccoli
1 tb soy sauce
2 garlic cloves minced
1 1/2 tsp oil
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
3/4 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp lemon juice

The chicken was really moist, I will definitely make it this way again!

Apple Crepes

Crepes

1 cup flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
4 large eggs
3 tablespoons melted butter

Combine flour, sugar, salt, milk, four eggs and the melted butter in a blender, blend for about 3 minutes.

Heat a 12 inch non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add 1/3 cup batter and swirl to completely cover skillet. Cook until underside of crepe is very lightly starting to brown, about 2 minutes.

I used this recipe to make the filling.

Pike's Gooey Syrup Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Then I TRIED to make a whipped topping with evaporated milk & powdered sugar, but it didnt whip as the recipe said it would...so I just drizzled it on top of the crepe, then sifted on some powdered sugar for pretty.

This was yummytastic, Mason approved. Its seriously loaded with sugar though, not good for the every day!
Do you have a recipe for the evaporated milk concotion? DH has a can of evaporated milk his sister gave him (Don't ask, it is a long annoying story) and would love to use it in something for him.

Last edited by The Lesha; January 29th, 2012 at 04:03 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search