Week 7: Love-Inspired

52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge

Branch out with your cooking by participating in this fun challenge with weekly themes. You can join any time in 2012!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2012, 04:44 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Slightly different this week.

In addition to the pic and recipe tell me how love inspired you to make this dish.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)

Last edited by esparando para bebé; February 12th, 2012 at 04:52 PM.
February 13th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Spaghetti and meatballs...inspired by the love scene from Lady and the Tramp

I made the meatballs from scratch from this recipe https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...14872314_n.jpg
I used ground turkey instead of beef, eliminated the hot sauce, and added my leftover cilantro from yesterday's dish. I was also going to make the sauce, but Allison didn't allow that (she screamed through me putting together the meatballs). I'm glad that I had a jar of sauce in my cabinet!

February 15th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole

ROAST CHICKEN WITH GARLIC CLOVES

Read more about it at Cooks.com - Recipe - Roast Chicken With Garlic Cloves
Content Copyright © 2012 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

3 1/2 lb. chicken
Sea salt and pepper
1 head garlic, separated into cloves
1 sprig fresh rosemary
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. chopped parsley
Oval chicken roasting "cocotte" with lid like "Le Creuset"

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash and dry chicken. Season inside and outside of chicken with sea salt and pepper. Truss and place in "cocotte" with olive oil, rosemary and garlic cloves. Place in oven without lid and cook for 15 minutes. Cover with lid and continue cooking one hour until chicken is done.
Remove garlic, peel and set aside. Cut chicken into serving pieces and place on warmed platter. Skim fat from juices and pour over chicken. Sprinkle with parsley. Decorate with peeled roasted garlic and serve with vegetables and potatoes.

Serves 4.

Inspiration: My husband could not afford to buy me a dozen red roses for Valentine's day so we had "Stinking roses" instead!
February 15th, 2012, 08:15 PM
♥RainyLane's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ♥RainyLane Send a message via MSN to ♥RainyLane Send a message via Yahoo to ♥RainyLane
We made some heart shaped personal pizzas. It's inspired by love because my husband loves pizza but since going gluten free rarely gets it. It's hard to find a decent grain free recipe and this one he really likes, so it was special to him. Also because in making them we all got to spend time together as a family to put them together which was so fun for them. Special family moments = love to me for sure

Paleo on Main: Pizza Crust
I used this recipe for the crust and just shaped them into hearts...

The sauce I used two cans of tomato sauce and added some garlic powder, onion powder, basil, oregano and fennel. Not sure how much on each. For toppings we all picked from cheese, salami, italian sausage, green bell peppers, red onions, bacon, olives and crimini mushrooms. I threw some cheese, garlic powder, basil and oregano on the extra one for my husband and oldest to share.

I'll update with pics later.

Last edited by ♥RainyLane; February 20th, 2012 at 07:49 PM.
February 16th, 2012, 02:54 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We don't have much for seafood places out here, so when DH and I go out on a date night we usually go out for prime rib...or steak if they aren't serving prime rib that night. So date night was the inspiration for this dish. (Also DH absolutely LOVES these twice baked potatoes!) **I was hoping to do prime rib for this meal, but couldn't find any at the local grocery stores, so had to settle for ribeye steak instead.** Made this meal for supper on Valentines Day.

Twice baked potatoes:

Ingredients
4 large baking potatoes, baked (I was mine, pierce them all over with a fork, rub them with butter and cook them in the microwave on high for about 9 minutes - turning once half way through cooking)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup crumbled bacon

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop potato out of the skins and into a bowl (leave just a little potato in attached to the skin for support). Smash potato filling in the bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix until fluffy. Spoon back into potato skins and bake for 20 minutes.

I also made Chocolate Covered Strawberries for Valentines Day - Chocolate Covered Strawberries seem to be served as a romantic treat in this area. About the only time I really see them here is around Valentine's Day.

Chocolate Covered Strawberries Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

February 16th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We had crab, roasted red pepper, sauteed spinach fetuccini alfredo. It was really good, I made a vegan sauce for the alfredo part since we can't do dairy, I added crab to the sauce just before the cornstartch step. We had ours with whole wheat noodles and Orion had chicken instead of crab and brown rice noodles. When the recipe called to roast the garlic I just put in the roasted red pepper as well. The store was out of firm silken tofu so I had to use soft, it worked well. I was really suprised that it didn't taste like soy.
Recipe: Ohmigod Vegan Alfredo Sauce | Bonzai Aphrodite I forgot to mention that we love crab around here so that inspired this dish. Also I was going to make this on Valentines day but DH had to work late so it didn't happen.

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook

Last edited by Tiki; February 16th, 2012 at 07:41 PM.
February 17th, 2012, 04:43 PM
This is the Oreo Truffles and since I was at it I dipped some strawberries and cherries too!

Oreo Truffles
from Kristy from Sweet Treats and More

1 package (18 oz.) Oreo cookies (or Nutter Butters), crushed into small pieces
1 8-oz. package cream cheese, softened
White or Chocolate melts for dipping

Mix crushed Oreos and cream cheese until well-combined. Either use a food processor or a ziplock and blend with your hands (a lot harder but all I had). Roll into 1-inch balls and place on baking sheet or tray. Refrigerate until firm, 3-4 hours (or stick in the freezer for about an hour). Using 2 forks (or a spoon, but forks always work better for me), dip Oreo balls into chocolate coating and place onto waxed paper to harden. Chill and serve cold or room temperature. Makes about 30 truffles

Inspired by my love for chocolate! My hubby likes chocolate cherry cordial so I made those because I love him.

Chocolate Covered Strawberries Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I used coconut oil instead of shortning.

Hashed Brown Potatoes

Nicole's favorite hashed browns Mommy Style

This takes grated potatoes dried, a cast iron frying pan with oil in it. Before you turn it over you add dollops of heinze 57 sauce. This is love inspired because it is something my mommy would make me. With DH and I nothing says love like potatoes.

Last edited by Happy Song; February 17th, 2012 at 05:28 PM.
February 17th, 2012, 04:48 PM
For no credit this is what Wayne made me with a box mix and a can of frosting.

February 18th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Heart-Shaped French Toast

Don't have a recipe since I've been making French Toast since I was a kid. I've always just eye-balled it. Ingredients were bread, butter (to cook in), egg, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
February 19th, 2012, 02:48 PM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At our house Bacon = Love! What's not to love about bacon?

I made my husband bacon roses for Valentines- he LOVED them!

I followed instructions online at Bacon Roses.

Basically you roll up nice fat strips of bacon, bake them in the oven at 375 for 30+ min until crispy while in some sort of draining device, then pop them on the stems of broken apart fake roses. I made aluminum foil "cups" to hold the rolled up bacon and placed them on a cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet to catch the grease. I eventually took them out of the foil cups and baked on the cooling rack to get the bottoms crispier. Then I had to go out again to get heavier duty stems- the ones I initially bought were too thin to hold the heavy bacon blooms.

I also made lobster mac n cheese and a strawberry/ goat cheese/ pecan spinach salad with strawberry dressing for dinner. Because cheese and lobster are also in the language of love, and strawberries are heart shaped... but I didn't take pictures of those.

February 19th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
We had red velvet waffles for dinner yesterday. Red velvet is traditionally really romantic, plus breakfast has the whole breakfast in bed feeling (except we had it for dinner yes. lol)

The recipe is here Not a Chef, but I can Cook!: Red Velvet Waffles

Matt took a picture on his phone, but I don't know when I'll be able to get it.

February 19th, 2012, 06:42 PM
yemanya's Avatar Regular
Dark mocha cake

DH and I jokingly refer to this as our "cake of love" not only for our crazy love of both chocolate and coffee, but because I baked it the day he proposed, and DH isnt usually a cake person, but this is one that he loves. So its now our "love cake" and I made it on Valentines Day this week for him.

Ingredients:

Cake
2 cups SRF
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp instant coffee
1/2 cup of dark cooking chocolate
3 tbsp margerine
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup hazelnut milk (I use hazelnut because im lactose intolerant and I love the taste hazelnut milk gives cakes, but soy/rice/almond/cow would work to)
2 eggs

Icing
3/4 cup icing sugar
2 tbsp margerine
2 tsp hazelnut milk (or other variety)
1 tsp instant coffee
1 tsp cocoa

Preheat oven to 180 (I work in celcius, sorry, Australian) google is telling me 350 fahrenheit
Melt the dark chocolate and combine with coffee and vanilla. Mix and set aside.
Combine remaining cake mix ingredients then add in the chocolate mix.
Combine
Bake for 40-45mins
Allow cake to cool completely

Dissolve coffee in warmed milk, allow to cool.

Beat coffee, icing sugar and margerine together, and ice cake. Top with a sprinkling of cocoa.
February 19th, 2012, 07:12 PM
DH meal:

Quote:
This is the first meal I cooked for my now-wife back in 2006. It turns out she didn't even like sweet potatoes. I have learned a couple things since then. Hopefully I can cook a little better, too.

Baked Pork Chops with Parmesan-Sage Crust: Baked Pork Chops with Parmesan-Sage Crust Recipe at Epicurious.com

Thyme-Roasted Sweet Potatoes: Thyme-Roasted Sweet Potatoes Recipe at Epicurious.com
I've since opened up to sweet potatoes more (thanks to my baby girl, Katherine) and actually liked them tonight.

February 19th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Belgian Waffles: Classic Belgian Waffles Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Food Network

I had these every morning on our Honeymoon Cruise.

February 19th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We had pork cutlets (Nothing romantic about these other then we like pork and it was the babies first time trying pork, he liked it ) Dairy Free, Wheat free scalloped potatoes, I wanted thes for dinner with the pork because they scream love to me since htey are a comfort food. I made up the recipe and they worked great. Last but not least we had asparagus, what could be more loving then a phallic symbol We really do love asparagus but almost never eat it because it has to be cheap and good quality, the two which almost never align. I used this recipe it turned out really good except my pan is a HUGE black nasty mess, the joys of using a stainless steel pan. Also they called to cook it for 5 min which would have been way too long since mine were done in about 2 minutes.
Pan-roasted Asparagus with Lemon and Garlic - How to Make Pan-roasted Asparagus

Potatoes about 4 sliced thin
Carrots (Grated) about 1 ½ cups
Soy and rice milk to make 2 cups
Daiya “Chedder” cheese
Olive oil (I didn’t really measure, I forgot enough to coat the everything then a little bit)
Salt
Pepper
Onion
Minced garlic
4 tablespoons brown rice flour
Whisk flour and milks together, put everything else in a greased casserole dish, pour milk and flour over, bake covered for 50 min on 350F Uncover turn up to 425 and bake 15-20 more minutes

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
February 20th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Week 7 is closed to submissions

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search