Week 8: Slow-cooking

52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge

Branch out with your cooking by participating in this fun challenge with weekly themes. You can join any time in 2012!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 20th, 2012, 05:12 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Sorry I'm so late posting this!

Post your recipes and pictures here.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
February 20th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Crockpot Chili
I soaked overnight about a cup each of Red Kidney beans, chickpeas, black beans and pintos. In the morning I boiled them for 10 min and tossed them in the crockpot with 2 chopped onions, a minced head of garlic, six cups of broth (Chicken and beef mix) 3 tsp of Smoked Chipotle chili powder and the rest of the package of reg chili powder (About 2 tbs or so) and ground beef. I turned the crockpot up to high and let it cook all day. This was the first time I have ever made chili without tomatoes (Baby is allergic) and I really liked it The baby ate it but spit out all the kidney beans lol. The flavour from the smoked chili powder was awesome. I also made vegan gluten free corn bread, that was a fail I think it needed some egg replacer even though the recipe didn’t call for any. It was REALLY crumbly, I know the recipe says it should be crumbly but this is overly so. Totally Addictive Cornbread

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook

Last edited by Tiki; February 20th, 2012 at 05:39 PM.
February 20th, 2012, 05:59 PM
♥RainyLane's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ♥RainyLane Send a message via MSN to ♥RainyLane Send a message via Yahoo to ♥RainyLane
I made chicken cacciatore. This is the recipe I used... Paleo Friendly – Chicken Cacciatora : PaleoPot – Paleo Diet Crock Pot & Slow Cooker Recipes

I probably about tripled the garlic though (love garlic and was going to just double it but there was only a couple cloves left on the bulb so I figured what the heck lol) I also threw some basil and oregano on top just after I started it cooking as sort of an afterthought. Added some sea salt at the table. Tomorrow I'm going to shred the meat and eat it as a soup with the juices for lunch I think

I need to find a good way to put pictures up with just my phone. I think I thought of a way but we will see if it works!

Last edited by ♥RainyLane; February 20th, 2012 at 06:45 PM.
February 20th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Crock pot beef fajitas

1lb sirloin steak cut in strips
1 envelope onion soup mix
2 cups
1 can 4 oz green chiles

add ingredients to crock pot cook on high 3 hours.

Last edited by Happy Song; February 20th, 2012 at 07:47 PM.
February 20th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Chicken noodle soup. I used this recipe Grandma's Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe - Allrecipes.com but added carrots. Put it all in the crock pot except for the noodles, which I added about 20 minutes before eating

I forgot about taking a picture until I was almost done!

February 21st, 2012, 05:17 PM
Made this today. Forgot to take a picture (not doing so well on that lately!)
A Year of Slow Cooking: Slow Cooker Green Pepper Chicken Recipe

February 21st, 2012, 06:09 PM
I made this tonight, http://www.20minutesupperclub.com/re...r-pulled-pork/ I used a pork butt, when I drained the pork and tasted the sauce I decided it need some more oomph I added brown suger, liquid smoke, chipotle chili powder and more apple cider vinegar. I also made this coleslaw without the red onions to go with it. Tangy Coleslaw - Coleslaw for Pork Barbecue
I carmalized some onions in the oven to put on top of them. Oven-Caramelized Onions

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the

Last edited by Tiki; February 21st, 2012 at 07:10 PM.
February 22nd, 2012, 06:31 AM
Split pea soup

Total Time: 8 hours

Ingredients:
•1 (16 oz.) pkg. dried green split peas, rinsed
•1 meaty hambone, 2 ham hocks, or 2 cups diced ham
•3 carrots, peeled and sliced
•1/2 cup chopped onion
•2 ribs of celery plus leaves, chopped
•1 or 2 cloves of garlic, minced
•1 bay leaf
•1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped, or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
•1 tbsp. seasoned salt (or to taste)
•1/2 tsp. fresh pepper
•1 1/2 qts. hot water

Preparation:

Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the order given; pour in water. Do not stir ingredients. Cover and cook on HIGH 4 to 5 hours or on low 8 to 10 hours until peas are very soft and ham falls off bone. Remove bones and bay leaf. Mash peas to thicken more, if desired. Serve garnished with croutons. Freezes well.
Serves 8.

February 22nd, 2012, 01:47 PM
NewportMamaBear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to NewportMamaBear
I've got my crock pot spaghetti sauce cooking in the new/used crock pot we picked up the other day. I'd take a picture except DH has the camera in the truck.
February 23rd, 2012, 03:14 PM
yemanya's Avatar Regular
I was worried I wasnt going to get the picture up. I couldnt find the usb cable to connect my phone to the computer. Found it though, YAY!

Slow Cooked Pasta Sauce

I make this at least once a week, I have two shifts a week where I dont get home until 7:45, and DH is hopeless at cooking, im actually gone too long on those days to put the slow cooker on in the morning, even on the slowest setting most food will burn, so I prepare this in the morning, put it in a jug in the fridge, and when DH gets home from work at 4:30 he pours the jug into the cooker and cooks it on the fast setting, then when I get home I just put on a pot of a fast cooking fresh pasta from the fridge section at the supermarket (1min gnocci or 3min ravioli or such) in this picture I have pumpkin ravioli, yum yum.

Its also ridiculously simple, because preparing complex food at 6am isnt a hobby of mine, haha.

Serves 4

Ingredients:
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic (or one, I just love garlic-y sauce)
Olive oil
800ml passata (you can use tinned tomatoes, but I find that the slow cooker dosent thicken the way a saucepan does, so it turns out very thin)
1/8 cup red wine
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp powdered vegetable stock (or chicken or beef, whatever you have)
Salt
1/4 red capsicum
1 tsp dried red lentils
2 bayleaves
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp marjoram

Finely mince the onion, capsicum and garlic and lightly fry off with a tsp of oil until the onion has browned.

Place all ingredients in slow cooker with a sprinkle of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.

Cook for 6 hours on low setting or 3 hours on high setting with the lid on.
February 23rd, 2012, 05:35 PM
Turkey chili (I mixed in sour cream and cheddar cheese)

Simple Turkey Chili Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I used chicken stock instead of water, did a can of diced tomatoes and a can of RoTel, and added a can of tomato paste to thicken it slightly.

February 24th, 2012, 05:47 PM
A Year of Slow Cooking: Balsamic Chicken with Spring Vegetables CrockPot Recipe

February 25th, 2012, 02:58 AM
BBQ pulled pork

The pork is cooked in the crock pot in water. Then darined and a bottle of BBQ sauce is added. If I am feeling good I save the broth for beans in the crock pot the next day.

February 25th, 2012, 09:01 AM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I tried to post the dishes I have done so far this week last night, but I was having internet issues. Had typed up all 4 recipes and had added the pictures...hit the post reply button and my internet went out and I lost it all. I'll post pics now and then come back later today when I have more time and type the recipes again.

Tuesday I made Crock pot Ribs:

Ingredients:
3-5 pounds of pork ribs
4 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon ground mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1 cup catsup
1 cup water
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

Directions:
Place ribs in crock pot. Combine all other ingredients and pour over the ribs. Cover and cook on high for the first 2 hours and on low for an additional 6-8 hours. Add catsup or water to make the sauce thicker or thinner.

Wednesday I made Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings:

Ingredients:
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons margarine
2 cans cream of chicken soup
onion powder to taste
2 packages refrigerated biscuits
water

Directions:
cut chicken into large chunks. Place chicken, margarine, soup, and onion powder in a slow cooker. Fill with enough water to cover. Cover and cook on low for about 5-6 hours. About 30 minutes before serving, cut up biscuits and place in the slow cooker. Cook until dough is no longer raw in the center (30-60 minutes)

Yesterday I made Old-Fashioned Pork Chops:

Ingredients:
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
6 boneless pork loin chops
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 can (10 1/2 ounces) condensed chicken with rice soup, undilued
1 medium onion, quartered
1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes

Directions:
In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour, mustard, garlic salt, and pepper. Add pork a few pieces at a time and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown chops in oil on both sides. Transfer to a 3 quart slow cooker. Top with soup, onion, and parsley. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until pork is tender. (I usually cook up 1 cup of minute rice to add to the rice in the crock pot so that their is enough for everyone to eat).

And a Crock pot Peach Dump Cake for dessert:

Ingredients:
1 (21 ounce) can of pie filling
1 package yellow or white cake mix
8 tablespoons butter, cut up
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted if you have time.

Directions:
Rub the slow cooker generously with some of the butter. Place pie filling in the slow cooker. Mix dry cake mix and remaining butter until crumbly, sprinkle over filling. Sprinkle with nuts. Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours. Serve warm in bowls. Top with shipped cream or serve side by side with a scoop of very cold vanilla ice cream.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

Last edited by babyloves2dance; March 22nd, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
February 25th, 2012, 07:46 PM
♥RainyLane's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ♥RainyLane Send a message via MSN to ♥RainyLane Send a message via Yahoo to ♥RainyLane

This first one is an italian chuck roast. Italian Style Chuck Roast | Civilized Caveman Cooking Creations

This is a chicken curry soup. I added 3/4 cup of chicken bone broth that I had thawed in the fridge and used a bit of four something else. Didn't want it to go to waste. I used probably half the amount of curry paste called for and glad I did. It would have been way too spicy otherwise. I only used one can of coconut milk, and an orange bell pepper instead of red because it's what we had. http://paleopot.com/2011/12/easy-pal...s-and-cabbage/

This was pulled pork. I make it probably once a month and we looooooove it! The rib is enough for two roasts, I like to get an 8lb roast and cut it in half, rub both down and throw one in the freezer for later. I usually make the breast bbq sauce he links to in his recipe with the pineapple in it but didn't get to it this time. It's great with or without it though and is best I'd you make it a few days in advance so the flavors can meld. We had it with a mango cucumber slaw that we usually pair it with. It's a good combo and they are good mixed too especially when sauceless. Try this recipe seriously! lol CrockPot Pulled Pork | Civilized Caveman Cooking Creations

Last edited by ♥RainyLane; February 25th, 2012 at 08:01 PM.
February 26th, 2012, 11:12 AM
I made some rice pudding for a snak today
Crockpot Rice Pudding
This is so tasty
3 cups "Milk" I used half rice milk and half coconut
1/2 cup uncooked rice
3 Tablepoon Agave Necter
3 Tablespoon Maple Syrup
1/4 cup coconut oil
Raisins
Frozen blueberries
1 tsp Cinamon
1 tsp Vanilla Exract
Cook on high in crockpot for 2 hours, Stiring every so often. When it is finished pour some frozen blueberries in and let it sit for a few minutes. Serve.
Note: I found this REALLY sweet, so I would cut down the sweetners to 1 Tbsp Agave and 2 maple syrup next time. It might be ok sweet for someone who usually has a lot of sugar but for me it was too much.

February 26th, 2012, 11:15 AM
We had Crock Pot Chicken Cordon Bleu last night for supper.

Ingredients:
4 chicken breast halves, pounded thin
4-8 slices of ham
4-8 slices of swiss cheese
1 can cream of something soup
2 tablespoons milk

Directions:
Spray crock pot with cooking spray. Place a slice of ham and swiss cheese on each flattened chicken breast. Roll up the chicken breast. Put into crock pot, seam side down. Pour soup over rolled up chicken breasts. Add milk. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4-5. This is done when chicken is cooked through and has begun to brown on top.

We are having Crock Pot BBQ Chicken for dinner today.

Ingredients:
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
water
1 (12 ounce) bottle bbq sauce
1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

Directions:
Place Chicken and water in a slow cooker and cook on low 4-5 hours (or until cooked through). Remove chicken from crock pot and discard water. Shred chicken and place back into crock pot. Add remaining ingredients and cook until heated through.

We are having Roast, Potatoes and Carrots made in the crock pot for supper tonight.

Roast, potatoes, carrots, beef broth. Put all in crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours.

Last edited by babyloves2dance; March 22nd, 2012 at 10:47 AM.
February 26th, 2012, 12:18 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
I broke out the cook-book BIL and SIL gave us for Christmas and made Brownie Bottoms.

1/2c brown sugar
3/4c water
2Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/2c packaged brownie mix
1 (2 3/4 oz) box instant chocolate pudding
1/2 milk chocolate chips
2 eggs, beaten
3Tbs butter, melted

Lightly pray crockpot with oil.

In small saucepan, combine brown sugar, water, and cocoa powder. Bring to boil.

Combine all other ingredients in a bowl and blend (batter will be THICK). Spread batter into crockpot. Pour sugar mixture over batter.

Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 1/2 hours. Turn off heat and let stand 30 mins. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
February 26th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Updated my last post with pictures. I will have to come back and post recipes later when I have more time.

February 26th, 2012, 07:42 PM
NewportMamaBear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to NewportMamaBear

Ham in the crock pot

1.5 cups of brown sugar on the bottom of the crock pot. Place the ham, cut side down, on the sugar, rub another 1/2 cup brown sugar on the ham. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8. That's the base recipe. I cubed a couple of potatoes, an onion and some celery and threw it on top of the ham.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search