Week 9: Eggplant

52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge

Branch out with your cooking by participating in this fun challenge with weekly themes. You can join any time in 2012!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2012, 03:40 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Post your recipes and pictures here.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
February 27th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Since this week is eggplant, I have had to branch out a little. I can`t ever remember actually eating eggplant so I goolged it. I came up with baba ganoush, it didn`t seem like much work so it wouldn`t be a huge waste if we hated it and had some familiar ingredients in it. So I gave it a try, I used this recipe Baba Ganoush Recipe | David Lebovitz I cut it in thirds since i only had one eggplant. I also roasted the garlic in the oven with the eggplant and added a litle sunflower butter. It is good, I`m not sure if I REALLY like it but it will get eaten.

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
February 28th, 2012, 02:10 AM
yemanya's Avatar Regular
Eggplant is one of my favourite veggies.

Eggplant Parmigiana

Eggplant
Egg
Breadcrumbs
Tomato paste
Garlic
Oregano
Raw sugar (or white, I just hate the taste of white)
Salt
Olive oil
Mozzarella cheese
Parmesan cheese

Make the sauce by adding tomato paste, olive oil, garlic, oregano, a pinch of salt and half a teaspoon of sugar in a saucepan.

Slice eggplant into large, flat pieces.

Dip in whisked egg, then into breadcrumbs, coating the eggplant.

Pan fry in a small dash of olive oil.

Place eggplant in a large dish, cover with the sauce and the cheese, and bake for 20 mins.
February 28th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Eggplant Involtini

[q}Got this recipe from my girlfriend Laura and made a few tweaks to adapt to our tastes. I’m not usually an eggplant fan, but trust me, you’ve got to try this one. If you have a mandolin for slicing this would be a great time to pull it out… if not, consider buying one. They’re inexpensive and once you use it you’ll fall in love. With regards to the prep on this one, it seems like a lot more work than it really is. Use this as your perspective: If my sorry *** can do it with two toddlers running around and a hubby at work it’s really not that challenging.

3 medium-sized eggplant

1/2 cup olive oil

1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs

1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (plus a little extra for the top)

1 large clove minced garlic

2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar

1 lb fresh mozzarella, cubed (the kind you buy in the “good” cheese section – don’t crap out on this!)

6-7 fresh basil leaves, chopped

1 Tbsp fresh oregano, chopped (or 1 tsp dried, either is fine)

1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (go with 1/2 tsp if you don’t want it spicy)

14.5 ounce can or jar of diced tomatoes, drained

1 egg, beaten

salt

1 cup marinara sauce

Slice the eggplant lengthwise into 1/4 – 1/2 inch slices (anywhere in between will do). Sprinkle salt on both sides of each slice and lay them out on a rack with paper towel underneath – this is called “sweating” and removes excess moisture as well as the bitterness that eggplant tends to have. Let them sweat for 1-3 hours, turning over occasionally.

While your eggplant is getting its sweat on, grab a mixing bowl and add 2 Tbsp of your olive oil, breadcrumbs, parmesan, garlic, vinegar, cubed mozzarella, chopped basil and oregano, red pepper, tomatoes and beaten egg and mix together to form a stuffing. Cover with Saran wrap and refrigerate for as long as you’re sweating your eggplant.

When it’s time to cook… Set your oven to broil. Rinse your eggplant off under cool water and pat dry with paper towel. Lay the slices out onto a broiler-safe pan (I use a thick cookie sheet lined with foil and do half at a time) and using the remaining olive oil lightly brush one side. Broil for 5 minutes or so, until it’s tender but not mushy. Turn your oven down to 350 degrees.

Prep a baking dish (I use a 9×13 Pyrex one) by spreading about 1/2 cup of your marinara sauce on the bottom. Spoon about 2 Tbsp of filling onto the narrow end of each piece of eggplant and roll up, and place each roll seam side down in the pan. Top each piece with a spoonful of marinara sauce and sprinkle a little more parmesan cheese on top. Bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese inside is bubbly. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving, otherwise your cheese mixture will just slide right out of the eggplant.
[/q]

Entrees

White bean and eggplant hummas

White Bean and Roasted Eggplant Hummus

Ingredients
1 (1 1/2-pound) eggplant or 3 Japanese eggplants, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
Olive oil, for drizzling, plus 1/3 cup
Kosher salt, for seasoning, plus 1/2 teaspoon
Freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning, plus 1/4 teaspoon
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from about 1 lemon)
1 clove garlic
1 hothouse cucumber, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices

Directions

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and place an oven rack in the middle.

Place the eggplant on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Set aside to cool.

In the bowl of a food processor, combine the cooled eggplant, beans, parsley, lemon juice, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pulse until the mixture is coarsely chopped. With the machine running, gradually add 1/3 cup of olive oil until the mixture is creamy. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Place the hummus in a dipping bowl and serve with the cucumber slices. Alternatively, spoon the hummus over the cucumber slices and arrange on a serving platter.

White Bean and Roasted Eggplant Hummus Recipe : Giada De Laurentiis : Food Network

Last edited by Happy Song; February 28th, 2012 at 05:53 AM.
February 29th, 2012, 05:41 PM
MOM LYNNE'S EGGPLANT PARMESIAN

Read more about it at Cooks.com - Recipe - Mom Lynne's Eggplant Parmesian
Content Copyright © 2012 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

eggplant
eggs
flavored breadcrumbs
olive oil
garlic
tomato sauce
grated cheese
crushed red pepper (optional)

1. Peel and cut eggplant into thin slices (apx 1/2")
2. Dip Eggplant into beaten egg then into breadcrumbs.

3. Fry breaded eggplant in oil and garlic until brown. Let drain on paper towel.

4. Meanwhile, in small sauce pan heat tomato sauce,italian seasoning and grated cheese.

5. Coat bottom of glass baking dish with sauce, then layer with eggplant, mozzarella cheese, and sauce.

6. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degree until cheese bubbles (apx. 35-45 min.) Take cover off and bake additional 10 min.

Last edited by Happy Song; March 1st, 2012 at 06:21 AM.
March 1st, 2012, 02:02 PM
yemanya's Avatar Regular
DH: Eggplant again? What is this eggplant week or something?
Me: YES IT IS!
DH: Eh?

Anyway.

Super-fast eggplant pasta

Also, yes this is the second week I have made a pasta dish with the theme, I have an undying love of pasta, I could eat it every day and not get sick of it.

Eggplant
Tomatoes
Garlic
Spring onions
Olive oil
Dried chives

Finely dice the eggplant, tomatoes and spring onions, fry in a pan with the olive oil, minced garlic, and a sprinkling of chives and oregano.

And thats it. Its probably a cheat of a recipe, it takes all of about 5 minuites to make (I actually have to boil the pasta first otherwise the eggplant will go cold) but when I come home from work I just cant be bothered cooking something that takes time.
March 1st, 2012, 10:47 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me

Eggplant Pizzas Recipe - Allrecipes.com

not a fan of eggplant

March 2nd, 2012, 01:11 PM
ENGRYAH (ARABIC MEAT AND EGGPLANT)

Read more about it at Cooks.com - Recipe - Engryah (Arabic Meat And Eggplant)
Content Copyright © 2012 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

3/4 cup olive oil
1 lb. lean stew beef or lamb
1 large onion, finely chopped
pinch of black pepper
large pinch of turmeric
1 large eggplant
salt (to sprinkle over eggplant slices)
1 large tomato, thinly sliced
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (or tamarind syrup)
2/3 cup tomato juice
3 tablespoons sugar

A Baghdad specialty made with eggplant and stew beef or lamb.
Cut beef or lamb evenly into 1 inch cubes, removing any fat.

In a heavy bottomed skillet, brown meat cubes in 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil with onion, pepper and turmeric. When meat has browned, add enough boiling water or beef stock (if available) to cover; reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours, or until meat is tender. Add more water/stock occasionally throughout the cooking if needed, having about 1 1/2 cups of liquid remaining in pan when the meat is done.

While the meat is simmering, remove the peel from the eggplant, leaving on 5 unpeeled lengthwise strips of skin. Slice the eggplant into 1 inch thick circles; sprinkle generously with salt and stack the slices. Set on a paper towel and allow to stand for 1-2 hours. Rinse off salt and pat dry.

Heat the remaining olive oil in a skillet and brown the eggplant slices, turning once. Drain on paper towels or napkins.

After the meat has cooked, layer the fried eggplant over the meat. Place tomato slices on top of the eggplant and sprinkle with lemon juice (or tamarind syrup, if available). Sprinkle with sugar and pour over the tomato juice. Season with salt and pepper.

Simmer over medium heat for 20-30 minutes.

Serve with white rice.

March 2nd, 2012, 05:47 PM
yemanya's Avatar Regular
Last one, because im now out of eggplant.

Roasted eggplant and potato salad

Eggplant
Potato
Bocconcini
Radish
Cos lettuce
Onion
Tomato
Olive Oil
Dried garlic

Slice eggplant, onion and potatoes, place on a roasting tray, sprinkle with oil and garlic and bake for 20-30mins.

Add to other ingredients and toss through.
March 3rd, 2012, 03:44 PM
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Week 9: Eggplant

Eggplant Parmesan with spaghetti and garlic bread.

I don't have a recipe to share for the eggplant parmesan. I often make chicken parm, so I just modified that. (Ingredients for breading are bread crumbs, italian seasoning, oregano, and garlic. Used egg to help bind.)

For the bread, we used an old favorite. We used a loaf of 9-grain bread that was on the discount rack at Walmart. Garlic Bread Recipe | Simply Recipes

Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
March 5th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Week 9 is closed for entries.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search