Week 10: Book or Movie Inspired

52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge

Branch out with your cooking by participating in this fun challenge with weekly themes. You can join any time in 2012!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 5th, 2012, 01:51 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Share which book/movie inspired you and how.

Don't forget to post a picture and your recipe!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
March 5th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Pizza, inspired the Teenaged Ninja Mutant Turtles!

pizza crust

2 1/2 - 3 c. flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 1/4 tsp (1 package) active dry yeast
garlic powder, oregano, basil, marjoram (I don't measure, I just put it in until it looks herby)
3 tbsp olive oil
1 c. very warm water

mix 1c. flour with sugar, salt, yeast, and herbs. Add olive oil and warm water. Stir in enough remaining flour until dough is soft and leaves sides of bowl. Knead 5-8 minutes until springy. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest 30 minutes. Heat oven to 425* Grease 2 12-inch pizza pans. Divide dough in half and pat onto pans. Partially bake 7 to 8 minutes, until crust just begins to brown. Add toppings, bake another 8-10 minutes.

March 5th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
V for Vendetta, Eggs in a Basket. They are cooked twice in the movie and link two important thing together.

Bread
egg
butter

cut out center of bread, heat butter in pan drop in bread, crack egg into center cook as a fried egg.

March 5th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Dr Pepper baby back ribs

Fried Green Tomatoes "The secret is in the sauce"

2 racks baby back ribs
1 (2 liter) bottle Dr. Pepper cola
¼ cup salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon canola oil
½ medium onion , minced
1 garlic clove , minced
½ cup ketchup
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1⁄8; teaspoon cayenne pepper

Place the ribs in a large baking dish. Pour in Dr. Pepper and cover them, reserving at least 1/2 cup for the sauce. Add he salt and soak the ribs in fridge overnight (or at least 2 hours).
Heat the oven to 350°F Remove the ribs from the liquid, dry them, and rub with the chili powder. Place them on a baking dish, add 1 cup of water, and cover tightly with foil. Cook for 2 hours, until the meat nearly falls off the bone.
For BBQ Sauce: Heat the oil in saucepan over medium heat. Saute the onion and garlic until they're soft and fragrant and add the ketchup, Worcestershire, vinegar, cayenne and 1/2 cup of Dr. Pepper. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the sauce thickens.
Fire up the grill, and brush the ribs with sauce. When the grill is hot, cook them bone side down on a cooler part for 10 to 15 minutes. Flip them and cook until lightly charred and smoky.
Remove and brush on more sauce.

Read more: Dr. Pepper Ribs Recipe - Food.com - 410292

March 7th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Green Eggs and Ham

Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
March 7th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Morning Glory

Frittata

Frittata Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

Ingredients
6 eggs, beaten
1-ounce Parmesan, grated
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Pinch salt
1 teaspoon butter
1/2 cup chopped roasted asparagus
1/2 cup chopped country ham
1 tablespoon chopped parsley leaves

Directions

Preheat oven to broil setting.

In medium size bowl, using a fork, blend together eggs, Parmesan, pepper, and salt. Heat 12-inch non-stick, oven safe saute pan over medium high heat. Add butter to pan and melt. Add asparagus and ham to pan and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Pour egg mixture into pan and stir with rubber spatula. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until the egg mixture has set on the bottom and begins to set up on top. Sprinkle with parsley.

Place pan into oven and broil for 3 to 4 minutes, until lightly browned and fluffy. Remove from pan and cut into 6 servings. Serve immediately.

March 7th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Inspired by "Planet Terror" the scene where they go to JT's BBQ place and he is laying on the floor with what looks like his guts hanging out but they are sausages.

Inspired by:

Faux Stuffed Intestines: spooky Halloween recipe | 365 Halloween

This is a vegan recipe so it was used as an inspiration, instead I made basically a chicken pot pie.

Inspired by "Planet Terror" Zombie movie

Bleeding heart Cake

Bleedy Cake: spooky fun Halloween Recipe for bleeding cake | 365 Halloween

Anyway, you can use essentially whatever white cake recipe you want. Bake the cake as usual, but hollow out the bottom layer (oops I did the top!) about 1+” and frost it. This will be the barrier that forms the bloody lake inside. Then fill the frosted hole with raspberry syrup (I used Knott’s pancake syrup), frost the underside of the top layer of cake and plop that on top of the syrup lake.

I used a boxes white cake but made the frosting and the syrup from scratch. In the end I made syrup but instead of using the syrup I used the the seeds and pulp definately a gore cake! If you do this go for glory and flip the cake!

Click here for the cutting!

Last edited by Happy Song; March 7th, 2012 at 07:39 PM.
March 8th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Inspired by Forrest Gump

Bubba Gump's Coconut Fried Shrimp recipe
1/2 pound unpeeled medium-size fresh shrimp
3/4 cup pancake mix
3/4 cup beer
Vegetable oil
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup flaked coconut

Peel shrimp, leaving tails intact; devein, if desired. Combine pancake mix and beer in a small bowl; stir until smooth.

Pour oil to depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 350 degrees F.

Dredge shrimp in flour; shake off excess. Dip shrimp into batter; dredge in coconut. Fry, a few at a time, 45 seconds on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels.

bubba gump's coconut fried shrimp recipe | restaurant recipes

March 8th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Thank you Garfield!

Lasagna (Recipe Exchange Thread: Italian Recipes) (I halved it)

March 8th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Tonights dinner is inspired by A big fat greek wedding
We had greek chicken on a bed of garlic spinach, lemon greek potatoes with peppers and tzatiki. Pictures coming soon
I don't use a recipe I just try to replicate the flavours I enjoy at Greek resutrants
This is pretty much what I do for the tzatziki Tzatziki recipe - Canadian Living
This is what i do with the potatoes except I have never added bouillin cubes yeech and I added a chopped pepper and onion, I always toss them in lemon juice when they are done because I don't like the flavour that they get if you cook them with the lemon juice. Greek Style Potatoes Recipe - Allrecipes.com
for the chicken I just marinate boneless skinless breast in a littel olive oil, lemon juice, rosemary, thyme, black pepper then toss it in a pan and bake for 30- 40 min covered on 350

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook

Last edited by Tiki; March 8th, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
March 10th, 2012, 11:11 AM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had 6 meals planned for this week, but we were sick Mon & Tue and part of Wed, so I've only actually executed on two. I've got 1 more planned for tonight and maybe one tomorrow's lunch.

SHAKESPEARE NIGHT!

We had "Ham"let steaks, cut off the cooked roast and quickly pan fried to brown lightly, served with a Danish "brown sauce" that was like gravy and I liked, but DH was unimpressed by. (Recipe below) Then I made "A Midsummer Night's" Salad- spinach, strawberries, chopped walnuts, and some light olive oil and balsamic. I was going to make some Romeo & Juliet/ Merchant of Venice risotto, but that didn't happen- so it was from a box parmesan noodle side.

Danish Brown Sauce
Based from Brown Gravy/Sauce

2-3 Tbsp. Butter
2-3 Tbsp. Flour
2+ C. Beef broth
~2 Tbsp. White Vinegar
S&P
~1-2 Tbsp. Cooking Sherry
1 tsp. Dried Parsley

1. Melt the butter in a heavy pan. Mix in flour and cook until bubbly.
2. Pour in some of the beef broth and stir until mixture thickens. Continue to add broth, while stirring, until the desired thickness is reached.
3. Add the vinegar, salt & pepper, and parsley and stir a little.
4. Just before ready to serve, stir in the sherry and turn off the heat. Serve hot.

March 10th, 2012, 11:26 AM
ONE FISH, TWO FISH, RED FISH, BLUE FISH

Ok, so this picture isn't the best, but I honored Dr. Seuss with one fish stuffed with two fish, which both happened to be red(dish) fish. I had nothing blue, sorry! The sides were unrelated- I couldn't come up with anything that made sense.

1.5 lbs. Haddock, or other white fish
1 can Crab meat
5-6 Jumbo Shrimp
(the rest of these measurements are fudged- I don't really measure!)
2/3 C. Breadcrumbs
1-2 Tbsp. Mayo
Splash of Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. Paprika
S&P
1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/4-1/2 tsp. Dried Thyme

1. Heat an oven or toaster oven (if big enough) to 425.
2. In a small saute pan, cook up the shrimp with a little olive oil. Chop it up into small pieces when it is cooked through (or even just under- it will cook more in the oven.)
3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the shrimp and everything else except the haddock until well combined- I like to use my hands after the initial stir.
4. Lay the haddock fillet(s) and pile the stuffing mixture on one half. Fold over, and secure shut with a toothpick. Bake in the heated oven for 10-15 minutes until cooked through. I probably did closer to 15 and it was too much. The outside was pretty dry.

This would have been nice with a light lemony butter sauce, especially since I overcooked it a little. Still, the stuffing was really delicious- yum.

March 11th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Last night's dinner might be my favorite...

LORD OF THE RINGS

I had a very "Shire-worthy" meal last night- looks like the type of meal a hobbit would have at his or her table. The sausages were just bought and fried up in our cast iron skillet. Then we had "Eye of Sauron" roasted carrot rounds, roasted rosemary potatoes ("You know, POE-TAY-TOES?" is a favorite quote from the 2nd movie.), and the piece de resistance, Lord of the Onion Rings! It was delicious!

Roasted Carrots
- 3-4 Carrots, sliced into rounds
- Salt
- Brown Sugar
- Paprika

1. I over cooked mine and the oven was hotter than I wanted since I did the potatoes at the same time. So my advice to is preheat the oven to 375.
2. In an oven safe dish, sprinkle the carrots with the salt, paprika, and brown sugar- I used just a sprinkle for all of those.
3. Roast uncovered for 20-25 minutes until soft.

Roasted Rosemary Potatoes
- 2 Potatoes, scrubbed
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Dried Rosemary

1. Heat oven to 400-425.
2. Slice the unpeeled potatoes into bite sized chunks, around 3/4 inch.
3. Put the chunks in a large casserole dish, then drizzle generously with olive oil.
4. Sprinkle the salt, pepper, and rosemary on to taste and mix well to coat all the pieces.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes, stirring once or twice during cooking, until the outsides are a little crispy and the insides are soft.

Onion Rings - Rather than retyping the whole thing, I pretty much followed this recipe to a t- just adding some garlic powder, oregano and um, another spice that I can't remember! to the batter. I could have used more spices. Oh, and I whipped up a cocktail sauce with ketchup, creamed horseradish, lemon juice and a pinch of brown sugar to dip everything in- yummy. Old Fashioned Onion Rings Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Last edited by MaineBean; March 11th, 2012 at 07:46 AM.
March 12th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't gotten aroung to posting Saturdays meal yet,
Inspired on by Lady and the tramp
Spaghetti and Meatballs

Meatballs
1lb ground beef
About ¾ cup thawed chopped frozen spinach (I use these little chunks that come in the big bag of frozen spinach, I use 3 of them)
Salt
Pepper
1 medium Chopped Onion
Minced Garlic

Combine and squish everything together, bake @ 350 for 20-40 minutes (Depends on how big you make them) The trick to making meatballs without any fillers and eggs is to not touch them when they are baking. You can bake on a cookie sheet or on a rack over a cookie sheet, I have done both and they worked either way. You can also add some grated or diced carrots and any other seasoning spice in there that you would like
Roasted Red pepper tomato sauce
1-2 Red peppers
Head of garlic
Onion
3-4 tomatoes
Wash tomatoes, peppers well. Cut peppers in 1/4s tomatoes in half, cutting off the stem part. Cut onions in 1/4s, and break the garlic up into cloves, Oil a large pan well with Olive oil. Put all ingredients into pan and bake on 350 for about an hour and a half, when you are done everything will be mushy and roasted looking. You can bake longer if you like, Sometimes near they end I turn up the heat to give it a little more flavour. Take it out of the oven and let it cool a little bit, then in batches blend until it is the right constancy. Make sure you blend in batches since hot sauce can expand and blow the lid off your blender. Add your chosen spices such as salt, pepper, oregano, basil. You can put your sauce on the stove and melt some cheese in, or mix cooked ground beef in, it is really up to you. I have never needed to add sugar with this recipe as it wasn’t very acidic but if it too acidic add a little sugar. I like to make as much as my oven will fit at a time and freeze it in 2.5 cup bags to pull out as needed. The one in the pic was frozen and I pulled it out, dumped it in a pot and reheated it on low and added spices and peas.

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
March 12th, 2012, 01:41 PM
This thread is now closed

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search