Week 12: Cheese

52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge

Branch out with your cooking by participating in this fun challenge with weekly themes. You can join any time in 2012!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By babyloves2dance

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 18th, 2012, 08:21 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Post your recipes and pictures here!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
March 19th, 2012, 08:23 AM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mmmmmmm..... cheese. Who needs a recipe- I just like to eat it plain! I got some Dubliner cheese for St. Patty's Day this weekend- nutty and smooth, so tasty!

I'm almost glad I forgot to check this week's theme before meal planning because I would have done something cheese based every night and then we'd be constipated and 5 lbs. fatter by the end of the week!

Did I mention mmmmmmmmm.... cheese.

March 19th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I made pizza tonight, with REAL cheese for DH and I and the fake stuff on a corn crust for the baby. Before I was a WAHM I was a manager at different pizza places. I've worked doing pan crust and hand tossed. I made a hand tossed pizza for myself and a pan pizza for DH. I used this recipe for dough as it seemed to look alright. How to Make Pizza Dough In retrospect I should have made more dough because my dough ball for my pizza was a little small so it slapped out thinner then I would have liked. I did let it rest overnight because that was how I always did it at work. My pizza making skills have gone down the drain in the past two years lol, the end product did not look very nice (I was almost embarrased) but it tasted great. I made the sauce the lazy way and opened a can and poured garlic powder, italian spices, sugar in a tupperware container and let it rest over night.
On mine: Pepperoni, Mushrooms, green peppers, Red onions, Bacon, Goat Feta, Mozzerlla, mild chedder, romano and parmensan cheese.
On DHs pan style: pepperoni, hot Salami, Bacon, Red Onions, Mushrooms, Green peppers, Tomatoes, Mozzerlla, mild chedder, romano and parmensan cheese and Italian seasonings

Pics will be up as soon as DH's is out of the oven.

Dhs: He ate the WHOLE pizza.. I couldn't believe it, I had a little piece and I liked his better then mine, I think the flavour of the dough (Or lack of) is better suited to a pan crust.

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook

Last edited by Tiki; March 19th, 2012 at 07:13 PM.
March 19th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Oreo Truffles

from Kristy from Sweet Treats and More

The last two times i made this I used mint oreos and they were very good! This time I used chocolate oreos and they were ho-hum not worth trying them in chocolate or even plain again. We are trying peanut butter oreos next time though.

I had been adding coconut oil to the chocolate to thin and make it easier to work with as I have real chocolate. This time I added coconut milk and it did not work it made the chocolate stiff and fudge like. I just dropped that chocolate and chilled and they are very simular to the oreo truffles! I think this need the contrast with the mint to make it worth eating!

1 package (18 oz.) Oreo cookies (or Nutter Butters), crushed into small pieces
1 8-oz. package cream cheese, softened
White or Chocolate melts for dipping

Mix crushed Oreos and cream cheese until well-combined. Either use a food processor or a ziplock and blend with your hands (a lot harder but all I had). Roll into 1-inch balls and place on baking sheet or tray. Refrigerate until firm, 3-4 hours (or stick in the freezer for about an hour). Using 2 forks (or a spoon, but forks always work better for me), dip Oreo balls into chocolate coating and place onto waxed paper to harden. Chill and serve cold or room temperature. Makes about 30 truffles.

Roasted potatoes

Ingredients (serves 2)
•1 Russet potato
•butter
•Lawry's seasoning salt
•grated parmesan cheese

Recipes | Iowa Girl Eats

Instructions
•Wash and pierce the potato all over with a fork. Cook in the microwave until the potato is soft all the way through – about 6-7 minutes total, flipping halfway through.
•Cut the potato in half, then cut each half into squares. Don’t cut all the way through, just down to the skin.
•Season with butter, parmesan cheese and Lowry’s seasoning salt, then place on a baking sheet under the broiler for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.

Bacon Cheese Potatoes (Slow Cooked)

Bacon Cheese Potatoes (Slow Cooked)

Prep Time: 10 mins

Cooke Time: 10 hours

Total Time: 10 hours 10 mins

Serves: 4

Ingredients
◦1/4 pound bacon, diced
◦2 medium onions, thinly sliced
◦4 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
◦1/2 pound cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
◦salt and pepper
◦butter
◦Green Onions (optional)

Directions

1.Line crockpot with foil, leaving enough to cover the potatoes when finished.
2.Layer half each of the bacon, onions, potatoes and cheese in crockpot. Season to taste and dot with butter.
3.Repeat layers of bacon, onions, potatoes and cheese. Dot with butter.
4.Cover with remaining foil.
5.Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours.

We put these in the crock pot for breakfast. i think they must have used a potatoe double for these because the Pinterest/blog picture shows brown potaties and crispy looking bacon. While this tasted great it looked... pale like it had been cooked in a crock pot.

Blog picture:

March 19th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Philly cheese steak sandwich

I sort of used this recipe Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Food Network

It's not only the first time I've made them, but it's the first time I've ever even had one.

March 20th, 2012, 05:11 AM
Brittanie would you make them again?

March 20th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Blooming Onion bread found on Pinterest as Mushroom bread made as Ham and cheese slider pull apart bread!

Bloomin' Onion Bread

Source: The Changing Table

1 unsliced loaf sourdough bread

12-16 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, thinly sliced

1/2 cup butter, melted

1/2 cup finely diced green onion

2 teaspoons poppy seeds

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cut the bread lengthwise and widthwise without cutting through the bottom crust. This can be a little tricky going the second way but the bread is very forgiving.

Place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Insert cheese slices between cuts. Combine butter, onion, and poppy seeds. Drizzle over bread. Wrap in foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
Unwrap the bread and bake 10 more minutes, or until cheese is melted.

Ham and Cheese Sliders | The Girl Who Ate Everything

Bloomin' Onion Bread | The Girl Who Ate Everything

This is common breakfast of fried potatoes and cheese

Potatoes
oil
salt pepper
cheese

Heat oil fry potatoes add salt and pepper to taste and cheese.

March 21st, 2012, 05:12 PM
Crispy Parmesan Asparagus Sticks

1 bunch of asparagus (mine had about 30 spears)

2 egg whites

1/4 cup flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)

1 cup seasoned panko breadcrumbs

1/4 cup parmesan cheese

salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lay a wire rack on a baking sheet and coat with non-stick spray.

Snap off the tough ends of each asparagus spear. On two separate plates, add the eggs whites (lightly beaten) and the panko + flour + cheese. Season the panko mixture with salt and pepper if desires. Coat each asparagus spear in egg whites, then lay in the panko mixture and thoroughly cover. If the panko won’t stick, dip back in the egg whites and roll in panko once again. Lay each spear on the wire rack.

Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.

Reuben Dip by Closet Cooking

A hot cheese based dip with all of the flavours of a reuben sandwich with corned beef, sauerkraut, swiss cheese and Russian dressing. Serve with toasted dark rye for dipping to complete the reuben sandwich flavours.

Servings: makes 4 servings

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients
1/2 cup cooked corned beef, diced or shredded
1/4 cup sauerkraut, squeezed and drained
1/4 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup Russian dressing

Directions
1.Mix everything in a large bowl.
2.Pour the mixture into a baking dish.
3.Bake in a preheated 350F oven until bubbling on the sides and golden brown on top, about 20 minutes.

March 22nd, 2012, 10:19 AM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Chicken Tetrazzini

3 cups (8 ounces) uncooked rotini
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup flour
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup shredded swiss cheese
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 1/2 - 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
3/4 cup (4 ounce can) sliced mushrooms, drained
salt and pepper to taste

Cook rotini according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile in large saucepan, melt butter and blend in flour. Gradually stir in broth and cream. Cook, stirring constantly, over low heat until sauce thickens. Blend in cheeses; continue heating, stirring constantly, until cheese melts. Stir in remaining ingredients until heated through.

Not the best picture, but it was really yummy!! Definitely adding it to my recipe book!

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

Last edited by babyloves2dance; March 22nd, 2012 at 10:57 AM.
March 22nd, 2012, 04:19 PM
I used this recipe as inspiration
Chicken Florentine Casserole recipe

But I made it dairy free and wheat free.
I used whole package brown into thirds brown rice pasta fettucini ,
1 large package (Not shelf stable) medium firm tofu,
2 cup soy milk,
1 cup daiya mozzerlla shreds,
mushrooms,
diced onion,
5 cloves minced garlic,
crumbled bacon,
1/2 laarge BAG fresh baby spinach,
pepper,
italian seasoning,
3 tbs nutrional yeast
I put in the blender the daiya cheese, tofu, soy milk and blended until smooth
I cooked the chicken breasts diced and set aside
sauteed the mushroom, onion and garlic, mixed with the chicken and set aside
Sautted the spinach mixed with the rest and set aside
then poured the blended sauce in to pan and heated, I held aside 1/2 cup of sauce and whished 4tbps corn starch into that then mixed with the rest of the sauce
then I mixed it all together put it in a pan and cook covered for 25 min, uncover sprinkle a little more cheese on and bake for 10 more minutes

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the

Last edited by Tiki; March 24th, 2012 at 10:02 AM.
March 22nd, 2012, 05:20 PM
Pepperoni Pizza Monkeybread

2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
4 Tbsp butter
2 lbs pizza dough
6 oz mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes (you'll need ~48 pieces)
48 slices of Turkey pepperoni (from 1 package)
2-3 cups marinara sauce, warmed, for serving

1. Heat garlic and butter over medium heat just until the garlic begins to brown. Remove from heat and let sit.

2. Lightly brush the inside of a bundt pan (or other oven-safe dish) with garlic butter.

3. Pull off large marble-sized balls of dough and flatten (a kitchen scale makes this very easy). Top with a slice of pepperoni and a cube of mozzarella.

4. Pepperoni Pizza Monkey Bread Wrap the dough around the pepperoni and cheese, pinching well to seal.

5. Very lightly brush the pizza ball with garlic butter and place into the bundt pan (I dabbed the pizza balls on a butter-dipped silicon brush to keep butter use low - there will be 1+ Tbsp leftover - and my hands butter free. Buttery hands make it hard to get the pizza balls to seal).

6. Repeat until all of the dough is used.

7. Cover and let sit for 30 minutes, while preheating the oven to 400.

8. Bake for ~35 minutes, until the top is very brown.

9. Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes.

10.Turn out onto a platter and serve with warmed marinara sauce for dipping.

We made this with sausage. it was very yummy! I am happy that we have a fun topic like cheese while my teen is home for spring break.

March 22nd, 2012, 06:07 PM
That pizza looks so fun Nicole! I might have to give that one a try! I think the kids would think it was fun to eat too!

March 23rd, 2012, 04:42 PM
Pizza braid

Pizza Braid | Busy Mommy: An Iowa Mom Blog

Inside-Out Bacon Cheeseburgers recipe

Skinny Texas Cheese Fries | Skinnytaste

Easy Zucchini Parmesan Recipe

What You Need

lb. ground beef

Tbsp. KRAFT Ranch Dressing, divided

slices OSCAR MAYER Bacon, cooked, crumbled

KRAFT Singles, cut into quarters

hamburger buns, toasted

lettuce leaves

tomatoes, cut into 4 slices each

Make It

HEAT grill to medium heat.

MIX meat and 2 Tbsp. dressing; shape into 8 thin patties. Combine remaining dressing and bacon. Spoon onto centers of 4 patties; top with Singles quarters and remaining patties. Pinch edges together to seal.

GRILL 7 to 9 min. on each side or until burgers are done (160°F).

March 24th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Blueberry French Toast Sandwich

This is a yummy and easy breakfast. Try it..you will be hooked!
◦1 3 oz package cream cheese, softened
◦1- 1/2 tbl confectioner sugar
◦1 package (12 oz) frozen french toast slices
◦3/4 cup fresh blueberries

In a small bowl mix cream cheese and sugar. Set aside.

Heat french toast according to directions. Spread cream cheese on one side of bread, add blueberries, top with other slice. Garnish with extra blueberries and confectioner sugar if desired.

This was a big hit with my kids!

March 24th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Potatoes about 4 sliced thin
Soy and rice milk to make 2 cups
Daiya “Chedder” cheese
Olive oil (I didn’t really measure, I forgot, enough to coat the everything then a little bit)
... Salt
Pepper
Onion
Minced garlic
4 tablespoons brown rice flour
2 tbsp Nutrional yeast
Whisk flour and milks, nutritional yeast together, put everything else in a greased casserole dish, pour milk and flour over, bake covered for 50 min on 350F Uncover turn up to 425 and bake 15-20 more minutes

I took a medium sized steak stuck them in a pot with beef stock (2 cups) tex mex powder a onion, I simmered for about 3 hours,. Then I shredded the beef and cooked down until it was not so wet and saucy. I made a salsa (Kinda I was missing some key ingredients) from green peppers, onions, yellow tomatos and lime juice, olive oil, Then I took a corn tortilla heated it up in a frying pan with a tiny bit of oil for about 15 seconds, took it out filled with filling closed it with a toothpick then fried each side until golden, they get nice and crispy. I served with rice and beans, and Costco guacamole (I usually make my own but for the last month or so the avacados have been nasty so I have been buying thos four pack from Costco, it is really good) I covered with cheese mmm, Mine has only a little cheese on it but DHs really was covered

Last edited by Tiki; March 24th, 2012 at 10:05 AM.
March 24th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Lunch: Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese

No recipe just a picture. I used canned chicken, mixed in Ranch dressing and Frank's hot sauce then added to the grilled cheese YUMMO definately a keeper. The babies I added the chicken before I added the hot sauce and they both ate this...SCORE!

Dinner: Cheese stuffed shells

Again no recipe because I did a major cheat. The stuffing was made and taking up real estate in my freezer. The recipe is fromm Robin to the rescue and it is basically, Mozzarilla, ricotta (whcih i use cottage cheese for always) and parmesean with Artichole. Artichoke is expensive so i always use canned asparagus and hald this batch was pink so that half had red bell papper in it. Me and Tyler ate this, my DH, and both kids turned up thier noses.

March 25th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Mexican Stuffed Shells

Source: The Way to His Heart

Stock picture

Ingredients:1 pound ground beef (or ground turkey)
1 package low-sodium taco seasoning
4 ounces cream cheese
20 jumbo pasta shells
1 1/2 cups salsa
1 cup taco sauce
1 cup cheddar cheese
1 cup Monterrey jack cheese

For toppings:

3 green onions
Sour cream

Preheat oven to 350°.

In a pan brown the ground beef; add taco seasoning and prepare according to package directions. Add cream cheese, cover and simmer until cheese is melted. Stir together and mix well. Set aside and cool completely.

While ground beef is cooking, cook the pasta shells according to package directions; drain. Set shells out individually on cutting board or baking sheet so that they don’t stick together.

Pour salsa on bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Stuff each shell with 1-2 tablespoons of the meat mixture. Place shells in 9×13 pan open side up. Evenly cover shells with taco sauce. Cover dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes, add shredded cheese and bake for 10-15 more minutes with the foil removed. Top with green onions or olives if desired. Serve with sour cream and/or more salsa.

Mexican Stuffed Shells | The Girl Who Ate Everything

I made these today but I had to put them in the freezer. my husband hates all pasta except angel hair/spahgetti so i cannot serve him shells two nights in a row.

March 25th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Chris made Eggplant Mozzarella for his Week 12 dish. (He also made the marinara used in this.)

Quote:
First, I tried to make three kinds of cheese myself: mozzarella, ricotta, and gjetost. Only the ricotta came out well. I'll have to retry the others another time.

I used the ricotta and some store-bought mozzarella to make Eggplant Mozzarella. I'm happy with how it came out. I served it as a side dish with quail and another side of fried plantain and squash on arugula, but it really could have stood on it's own as a main dish.
Eggplant Mozzarella Recipe - How to make eggplant recipe

For MY dish I made a dessert:

Frozen Chocolate Mousse Squares Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I really liked this. Had a very cheesecake-like taste.

Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
March 25th, 2012, 09:22 PM
I also tried the oreo truffles (was actually going to try this recipe for the book or movie inspired dish, but didn't have time).

I dipped mine in white almond bark.

Chef in Training: No Bake Oreo Truffles
Happy Song likes this.

March 26th, 2012, 06:50 AM
This thread is now closed to new submissions.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search