Week 13: Russian

52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge

Branch out with your cooking by participating in this fun challenge with weekly themes. You can join any time in 2012!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2012, 06:53 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Here's a link to help get you started: Recipes - RusCuisine.com

Post your recipes and pictures here.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
March 26th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
MILDRED'S RUSSIAN POTATOE CAKES

Read more about it at Cooks.com - Recipe - Mildred's Russian Potatoe Cakes
Content Copyright © 2012 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

5 potatoes medium to large
2 egg
1 c. of flour
1 large onion
1 large tub of sour cream

Peel 5 large potatoes uncooked shred potatoes in large mixing bowel. Shred 1 peeled onion into bowl also, In another bowl beat 2 eggs, Combine the flour and eggs into the bowl with potatoes and onion. Mix by hand not using any machine to get best results. Make small patties and cook in a lighty greased pan until golden brown on both sides.
Serve with loads of sour cream and enjoy.

These were tough and heavy, I hope my chickens like them because neither kid would touch them.

March 27th, 2012, 06:26 PM
RUSSIAN CABBAGE ROLLS

Read more about it at Cooks.com - Recipe - Russian Cabbage Rolls

3/4 c. uncooked rice
1 tsp. sea salt
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. hot paprika
1 tsp. minced garlic
6 large cabbage leaves
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 can Campbell's Tomato Soup (reduce sodium)
3/4 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. low fat sour cream
2 tbsp. low fat grated cheddar cheese

Cook rice in boiling salted water (1 teaspoon salt) in a tightly covered pan for 15 minutes.
Combine meat, onion, seasonings and cooked rice. Blanch cabbage leaves in a small amount of boiling water in covered pan two for to three minutes.

Divide meat mixture into six portions. Wrap in cabbage leaves and secure with toothpicks.

Place cabbage rolls in a 6x8-inch casserole. Combine soup and cream and pour over rolls.

Sprinkle cheese on top, cover casserole and bake for 1 1/2 hours in a preheated 375°F oven. Note: These can be cooked in a slow cooker on high for 2 hours or until cabbage is tender.

Sassy Water (recipe is in russian scroll down for english)

sitno seckano:

March 28th, 2012, 07:26 PM
AUTHENTIC RUSSIAN BEEF STROGANOFF

Read more about it at Cooks.com - Recipe - Authentic Russian Beef Stroganoff

2 lbs. steak, cut bite size
2 med. onions, finely chopped
1/2 c. tomato juice
2 tbsp. Wondra flour
4 tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. paprika
1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 c. Burgundy wine
1 pkg. beef broth mix
1 c. sour cream
1/4 tsp. white pepper
2 tsp. parsley flakes
Sprigs of parsley for garnish

Saute onions and garlic in 2 teaspoons butter, just until translucent. Keep warm. Quickly saute mushrooms in 2 teaspoons of butter. Keep warm. Quickly brown steak in 2 teaspoons of butter. Mix meat with onions and mushrooms, set aside and keep warm.
In a double boiler, combine the liquid ingredients, except for sour cream. Add flour and spices, mix well. When hot, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir until thickened. Remove from heat, add sour cream. Mix liquid mixture with the meat mixture. Let stand for 25 minutes on warm. Heat until hot for 5 minutes. Serve over noodles or rice. Garnish each serving with a dollop of sour cream and a sprig of fresh parsley. Serves 4 to 6.

March 29th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I made Russian style potattos, Cooks.com - Recipe - Russian Style Potatoes With Garlic And Dill I forgot to put the garlic in, they were great and reminded me of spring
I also made Russian mushrooms in sour cream Russian Mushrooms in Sour Cream – Everyday Russian Food Though since we can't have sour and I didn't have any fake stuff in the house, I used soy milk with lemon juice and thickened with brown rice flour. It worked great and was very close flavour wise to sour cream.
I will post pics a little later.

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook

Last edited by Tiki; March 30th, 2012 at 08:57 AM.
March 30th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Russian cream

4 cups cream
2 cups white sugar
1 tablespoon gelatin (plain, non-flavored) or a vegetarian substitute (agar, kudzu or others)
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups sour cream

: If you want to make a double batch, you will have to make 2 batches instead of doubling the ingredients as it will not set up properly.

In a small pot, mix sugar and gelatin (or gelatin substitute), then add cream. Heat over medium heat until melted and smooth, but not boiling. Cool to room temperature. Add 2 cups sour cream and 1 tablespoon vanilla. Hand-whisk, stirring vigorously, until it turns to an ivory color and there are no white specs. Pour into a 9 x 13 pan and put into the fridge until set. I used individual ramekins and it worked perfectly.

To serve, top with fresh fruit and sprinkle with brown sugar.

March 30th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Beef Perushki

Ingredients for the Dough:

1 1/2 tablespoons oil

15 oz warm water

4 cups all-purpose flour (divided)

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon Active Dry Yeast

Ingredients for the Meat Filling:

1 lb ground turkey

1 lb ground beef (Fat content: 80/20)

2 tbsp olive oil

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 large onion, finely diced

1 medium carrot, finely grated

3 tbsp dill

2 tbsp mayonnaise

1/2 cup warm water

Other Ingredients:

Enough canola oil to go half-way up the side of the piroshky when frying.

Lots of extra flour to dust the cutting board (I probably use at least 1/2 cup extra flour)

Ingredients for Garlic Dip – “Vmochanka” (this is for one serving, so increase it accordingly):

1/4 cup warm water

1 tbsp olive oil (you can use any kind of oil really)

1 garlic clove, pressed

1/2 tsp salt

How to Make Russian Pirojki (Chebureki) Dough:

1. The easiest way to do this is in a bread maker. If you have one, set it to the dough setting and add the ingredients in the following order: Oil, water, 2 cups flour, salt, sugar, 2 cups flour, yeast.

A bread maker will do the following: mix, let dough rise, mix again and let the dough rise (It takes about 1 to 1 1/2 hours) and once it’s done in the bread maker, its ready to go.

You can also make this dough using a stand mixer with a dough hook on speed 2(mix all the ingredients together, let rise, mix again and then let it rise in a warm place (like the oven). (It should be 2 to 2 1/2 times in volume). While it’s rising, work on the meat filling for piroshki – see below.

2. Put the finished dough onto a well floured cutting board, dust the dough with flour and with well-floured hands, shape it into a large log.

It will rise more as you make the piroshki

3. Cut off pieces one at a time about 3/4″ thick.

4. Place the piece of dough over your well-floured hand (dough will be sticky) and shape it into a 3″ to 4″ circle using your hands. Do not put flour on the side where you are going to put the meat, otherwise the sides won’t seal.

5. Stir the meat mix to distribute the juices. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of meat filling in the center.Cover the meat with the sides of the dough (being careful not to let oils or juices seep out), and pinch the edges together to seal the dough. Flatten the pirojki slightly to make them a more uniform size.

Notes: It helps to wash your hands half-way through the process to keep the dough from really sticking to your hand. And keep those hands well-floured!

6. Heat oil in a large, deep, heavy-bottomed pan or cast iron dutch oven. There should be enough oil to cover the pirojki half-way up the side.

7. Place them in the hot oil (about 330 degrees F) and fry until deep golden brown on each side. Sometimes they puff up a lot on one side so you may end up with a third side that needs to be fried.

8. Place on paper towels to cool and enjoy! Try the garlic dip – it’s GOOD!

How to Make Meat filling for Belyashi:

1. Heat a large skillet over medium/high heat. Brown ground beef and turkey, breaking it up into small pieces with a spatula. Season meat with 1/2 tsp salt, 1/ tsp pepper and 1/2 tsp garlic powder.

2. When the meat is almost done, add diced onion and saute 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Add shredded carrots and saute another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4. Add 3 tbsp dill, mix well.

5. Add mayo, stir well.

6. Stir in 1/2 cup water to moisten the meat mix. Transfer meat mix to a bowl and let cool to warm or room temperature.

April 1st, 2012, 11:31 AM
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Week 13: Russian

While I'll try Russian again, I will not use this site. The recipes were horribly written. I wish I'd noticed prior to buying ingredients.

The first recipe was: Braised Pork Chop with onions and tomato sauce recipe - RusCuisine.com The recipe said to use sauce or paste. I used paste because I needed a small amount of that in the other dish and didn't want to have a lot extra. Sauce would have been so much better.

The side was Fried Eggplant & Onions with Sour Cream Sauce recipe - RusCuisine.com This was good. Simple and decent. That being said it's not a favorite. I probably won't make it again simply because I like other eggplant dishes better.

Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
April 2nd, 2012, 07:52 AM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I made a beef crockpot borscht a few weeks ago for the first time, and while it was good, it was really like beef stew that happened to have some beets in it. It wasn't even really red or purple.

I wanted to have a true bright red borscht and figured this was the week since we are doing Russian. I made a vegetarian (well, except I used chicken broth) version this time. I used my food processor to prep all the veggies, which made it both really fast and also the shredder made the texture just right to me.

The end result is that it was tasty, but I missed the meat and by the end of the bowl the flavor was kind of too much for me. Hubby and I agreed that bringing back some browned beef or even game (venison, elk, etc) would really round it out to make a great, earthy dish. DS ate some of it, but wasn't thrilled with it; he mostly wanted the bread to dip.

[picture to come- it's on the camera, which is at home, and I'm at work where I can't upload to hosting websites]
Vegetarian Borscht
- Olive oil for sauteing
- 1 Medium Onion, sliced in food processor
- 3 Medium Beets, peeled and shredded in food processor
- 5 Small to Medium Carrots, peeled and shredded in food processor
- 2 Large Yellow Potatoes, peeled and shredded in food processor
- 4-6 C. Chicken Broth, Veg Broth, and/or Water
- Half of 1 Cabbage, sliced into ribbons (I used green but next time would do red.)
- Splash of Red Wine Vinegar
- 1-2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1-3 Tsp. Dried Dill
- Salt & lots of Pepper
- Sour Cream to serve
- Fresh Dill for garnish (I didn't have this, but wish I did)
- Bread for dipping at table (optional)

1. In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil and cook the onions until just tender.
2. Add in the beets, carrots, and potatoes and sweat for a few minutes.
3. Add in the broth/water until the veggies are all at least mostly in the liquid and it has the amount of broth you want for your soup. I wanted a decent amount of liquid, but not so much that the veggies were floating around all over the place. I probably used around 4.5-5 C.
4. Bring soup to a boil and let it simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes.
5. Add in the cabbage, vinegar, lemon juice, and spices to taste. Cover and let simmer another 5-15 minutes.
6. Serve hot with a generous dollop of sour cream in the middle and sprinkled with fresh dill if you'd like. DH added more pepper to his- he's a pepper fiend.

Next time, like I said, I'd add meat. I would cube a pound or so of meat and brown it in the first step with the onions. I'd use beef broth, veg broth and/or water to make the broth and just let the meat cook in the soup as it simmers.

April 2nd, 2012, 01:03 PM
This thread is now closed.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search