Week 14: Sandwiches

52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge

Branch out with your cooking by participating in this fun challenge with weekly themes. You can join any time in 2012!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 2nd, 2012, 02:06 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Post your pictures and recipes here. (You have to MAKE something on these. No cold cuts + store-bought condiments. No pb & j---unless you're making the pb or jelly)

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
April 2nd, 2012, 10:17 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole

Read more about it at Cooks.com - Recipe - Chicken Salad Croissants
Content Copyright © 2012 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

8 chicken breast halves, cooked
1 1/4 c. diced celery
4 hard cooked eggs, chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp. white pepper
Paprika to taste
1 1/2 c. mayonnaise
3/4 c. chopped pecans
12 bakery croissants
Watercress or parsley for garnish

Cut chicken into small cubes. Combine chicken, celery, eggs, lemon juice, seasonings and mayonnaise together; refrigerate overnight.
Just before serving, stir in chopped pecans and adjust seasonings. Slice croissants partially through from inside curve to outside and warm uncovered in 350 degree oven for 5-8 minutes.

Fill warm croissants with a generous portion of chicken salad and place on plate with a sprig of watercress or parsley for garnish. Serves 12.

Homemade snickers

makes one 9×13 pan

bottom chocolate layer

1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips

1/4 cup peanut butter

Thoroughly grease you baking pan. Melt ingredients together in a saucepan or microwave, then pour into the baking dish and spread until even. Let cool and harden completely.

nougat layer

1/4 cup unsalted butter

1 cup granulated sugar

1/4 cup evaporated milk

1 1/2 cups marshmallow fluff

1/4 cup peanut butter

1 1/2 cup salted peanuts chopped, roughly chopped

1 tsp vanilla extract

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add in sugar and milk, stirring until dissolved and bring to a boil. Let cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in fluff, peanut butter and vanilla, stirring until smooth. Turn off heat and fold in peanuts, then pour over bottom chocolate layer. Let cool completely.

caramel layer

1 14-ounce bag of caramels

1/4 cup whipping cream

Combine ingredients in a saucepan over low heat. Let melt, stirring occasionally, until smooth – this took about 10 minutes for me. Pour over nougat layer and let cool completely.

Top chocolate layer

1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips

1/4 cup peanut butter

Melt ingredients together in a saucepan or microwave, then pour over caramel and spread until even. Let cool and harden completely.

Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving, then cut as desired. These can stay at room temperature, but they do get gooey. I like them refrigerated best!

Note: for best results, buy one of the half-sheet aluminum cake pans at the grocery store. That way, you can pop the entire square out and cut from there!

Homemade Snickers Bars | How Sweet It Is

Marlboro man sandwich

■1 whole Large (or 2 Small) Onions
■2 sticks Butter (lots And Lots Of Butter)
■2 pounds (to 3 Pounds) Cube Steak (tenderized Round Steak That's Been Extra Tenderized)
■ Lawry's Seasoned Salt (or Similar Seasoned Salt)
■1/2 cup (approximately) Worcestershire Sauce
■ Tabasco Sauce, To Taste
■4 whole French/deli Rolls (earthgrains Are Best!)

Preparation Instructions

Slice onions and cook in 1/4 stick butter until soft and light brown. Remove and set aside.

Slice cube steak against the grain. Season with Lawry’s.

Heat 2 tablespoons butter over high heat (in same skillet) until melted and beginning to brown. Add meat in single layer. Cook one side until brown, then flip and cook until brown, about a minute on both sides.

Add 1/2 cup (at least) Worcestershire sauce, 5 to 6 shakes Tabasco, and 2 tablespoons butter. Add cooked onions. Stir to combine.

Butter halved French rolls and brown in skillet.

To assemble, lay bottom half of French roll on plate. Place meat mixture, followed by a spoonful of juice from the pan. Top with other half of roll, cut in half, and devour!

The Marlboro Man Sandwich | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond
April 3rd, 2012, 10:55 PM
Long Boy "Burgers"

2-4 (6-inch) sub rolls, split in half lengthwise
1 1/4 cup cornflakes, crushed
1/2 small onion, minced
1/2 cup whole or lowfat milk
6 tablespoons ketchup, separated
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Salt and pepper
1 1/2 pounds 90% lean ground beef
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Adjust the oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees.

1. Bake rolls, cut side up, on wire rack inside rimmed baking sheet until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes.

2. Combine cornflakes, onion, milk, 4 tablespoons ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, garlic powder, egg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper in large bowl. Add meat and knead gently until well combined.

3. Top toasted rolls evenly with meat mixture, spreading meat to edges of rolls. Brush top of meat mixture evenly with remaining ketchup and bake until meat registers 160 degrees, 20-25 minutes. Top burgers with cheese and continue to bake until cheese melts, 3-4 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes. Serve.

Try this low-carb Buffalo Chicken BLAT Wrap with big taste!

Ingredients (makes 8-9 wraps)
•1lb chicken tenderloins
•1-2 Tablespoons Ranch dip mix
•2 teaspoons vegetable oil
•Buffalo Wing Sauce (I like Frank’s)
•4-5 slices bacon, chopped
•2 tomatoes
•1 avocado
•hearts of romaine

•Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with ranch dip mix and rub in with your hands. Add chicken to hot skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes a side, or until no longer pink in the middle. Remove chicken to a plate and let cool for a few minutes. Chop half or all into bite-sized pieces and mix with buffalo wing sauce. Slice the remaining chicken in half lengthwise.
•Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crispy. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
•Cut tomatoes in half, then thinly slice. Slice avocado in half, pop out the seed, peel, and thinly slice. Cut core off of romaine hearts, then rinse and pat dry.
•Assemble wraps by placing chicken, bacon, tomato, and avocado inside romaine lettuce leaves.

For more great recipes visit

Bacon Toasts

6-1 ½ inches thick Baguette toast (from 1/3 of a Baguette/about 5 to 6 inches lengthwise)
6 Rashers of Thinly Sliced Smoked Bacon

Preheat oven to 425˚F.

Wrap the bacon over each toast and place on a baking tray and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes. Turn the bacon toast at least once and bake until the bacon is slightly crispy and the toast is golden brown in color.
April 4th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I made hot Roast beef sandwhichs.
I got a 1 lb sirloin tip roast and coated with kosher salt, pepper and garlic powder.I roasted the beef until it was medium rare. Then wraped it in foil until it was cool and stuck it in the fridge for a few hours.When cool I sliced as thin as I could get it. I sliced a package of mushrooms and 1 medium onion, 5 cloves of garlic and sauteed with the drippings from the beef. When the mushroom and onions were cooking I mixed in 2 cups of beef broth, I had reserved 1/4 of it and whisked in 2 1/2 tbsp of brown rice flour. I mixed that into the pan and stirred tmake sure there were no lumps. Then I simmered until I thought the flour was cooked and it was nicely thickened, I tossed in the thin sliced beef and heated it about 4 min with the lid on. Then I put the beef and sauce over bread and served with a green salad
This was really really good, DH loved it over the bread as a hot sandwhich, I was kind of impartial to that part and would have perfered it over rice, Orion hated his rice bread and picked it one and threw it on the flour. He ate the rest of it though
Pics will be up later as my camera is acting weird while uploading.
I forget these are the recipes that inspired me, the one I just used as the basic idea and created my own. The other I used a different cut of me so just used it as a basic guideline.
Cooks.com - Recipe - Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches
Make Your Own Deli-Style Roast Beef | The Hungry Mouse

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook

Last edited by Tiki; April 4th, 2012 at 10:45 AM.
April 4th, 2012, 02:54 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Last night we had Open Faced Hot Beef Sandwiches. Threw a beef roast in the crock pot with some potatoes and water and cooked on low for 8 hours. Removed the roast and potatoes and put the broth in a sauce pan and added cornstarch to make a gravy.

~*~ Kelsey ~*~

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

April 4th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Ham and Cheese Sliders | The Girl Who Ate Everything

Apple smoked Mozzarilla cheese and roast asparagus Panini

April 4th, 2012, 08:03 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
The only sandwiches I have managed to make this week have been PB&J for my DD's lunch . Hopefully next week will be better but we just don't eat sandwiches much.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie

April 5th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Fried egg panini

Hello MBG friends! It's Heather from The Lovely Cupboard, and I'm bringing you one of my favorite panini recipes today! This is vegetarian approved, but the carnivores won't miss the meat at all. Promise. You start with sourdough bread, herbed mayo, and avocado. Add tomato, fresh sprouts, some Havarti cheese, and top it off with a fried egg. Oh, man. I can barely write about it without getting hungry.

1. Start by prepping your mayo. Simply dice your favorite fresh herb (I used thyme) and add to the mayo. It's that easy and kicks the "wow factor" on your sandwich up about 50%. That a scientific fact, really.

2. Spread the mayo on the bread and layer thick slices of Havarti cheese on both sides (white cheddar would be fine too) . Add your avocado and fried egg to one side and tomato slices and sprouts to the other.

3. Since a panini is a "hot pressed" sandwich, typically you would use a sandwich press. I don't have one, so I use this little trick to add the pressure needed to make paninis.

4. Grill about 3-4 minutes on each side over medium heat.

Pear and Brie Panini

Peanutbutter chocolate sandwich

Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwiches from Disneyland | Picky Palate
April 5th, 2012, 10:51 PM

Sandwich ingredients:
2 Tbsp butter, softened
8 slices rye bread
8 slices Swiss cheese
3/4 lb corned beef brisket, thinly sliced
1/2 lb sauerkraut
1/4 cup Russian Dressing

Russian Dressing:

Combine the following ingredients. Makes one-half cup.
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 1/2 Tbsp ketchup
1 1/2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

1 Butter one side of four slices of bread, and place the slices buttered-side down on a large piece of wax paper on a flat surface. Top each with a slice of Swiss cheese, and then divide half of the corned beef among them.

2 Using paper towels, squeeze out excess moisture from the sauerkraut. Divide the sauerkraut among the sandwiches, and top each with one tablespoon of Russian dressing. Add another layer of corned beef and a second slice of Swiss cheese to each sandwich. Top with the remaining bread slices; butter the side facing out.

3 Preheat a griddle or frying pan to medium heat. Cook the sandwiches on one side until the bread is golden brown. Use a spatula to carefully flip the sandwiches over and finish cooking on the second side. Cut the sandwiches in half before serving.

Corned Beef and Cabbage:
2 to 2 1/2 pound Corned-Beef Brisket*, recipe follows
1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground allspice
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 pound diced carrots, approximately 4 small
1/2 pound diced onions, approximately 2 small
1 pound potatoes, peeled and chopped, approximately 3 medium
1/4 pound diced celery, approximately 2 stalks
1 small head cabbage, chopped, approximately 2 pounds

*Cook's note: Brisket should be prepared through the brining stage, but not cooked.

Place the corned beef, pepper, allspice, bay leaves and salt into a large 8-quart pot along with 3-quarts of water. Cover and set over high heat. Bring to a boil, decrease the heat to low and cook, at a low simmer for 2 1/2 hours.

After 2 1/2 hours add the carrots, onions, potatoes and celery. Return to a simmer and cook uncovered for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, add the cabbage and cook for an additional 15 to 20 minutes until the potatoes and cabbage are tender. Remove the bay leaves and serve immediately.

Corned Beef:
2 quarts water
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons saltpeter
1 cinnamon stick, broken into several pieces
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
8 whole cloves
8 whole allspice berries
12 whole juniper berries
2 bay leaves, crumbled
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 pounds ice
1 (4 to 5 pound) beef brisket, trimmed
1 small onion, quartered
1 large carrot, coarsely chopped
1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped

Place the water into a large 6 to 8 quart stockpot along with salt, sugar, saltpeter, cinnamon stick, mustard seeds, peppercorns, cloves, allspice, juniper berries, bay leaves and ginger. Cook over high heat until the salt and sugar have dissolved. Remove from the heat and add the ice. Stir until the ice has melted. If necessary, place the brine into the refrigerator until it reaches a temperature of 45 degrees F. Once it has cooled, place the brisket in a 2-gallon zip top bag and add the brine. Seal and lay flat inside a container, cover and place in the refrigerator for 10 days. Check daily to make sure the beef is completely submerged and stir the brine.

After 10 days, remove from the brine and rinse well under cool water
April 6th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

Hot Roast beef sandwhich, recipe is above.

BLT- baby lettuce, tomatoes and bacon

Greek chicken pita- tomatoes, greek chicken (Chicken marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, spices, balsamic vinegar) homemade tzatkii (Yogurt, lemon juice, dill, cumcumber, salt) baby lettuce

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook

Last edited by Tiki; April 9th, 2012 at 11:14 AM.
April 7th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Smashed Chickpea & Avocado Salad Sandwich

Yield: Salad for 3-4 sandwiches

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 10 minutes

This Smashed Chickpea & Avocado Salad Sandwich is a great quick and easy lunch option that is good for you too! The salad also makes a great dip!

1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas or garbanzo beans (I use Bush's Garbanzo Beans)
1 large ripe avocado
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped green onion
Juice from 1 lime
Salt and pepper, to taste
Bread of your choice (I use whole wheat bread)
Fresh spinach leaves or other sandwich toppings: lettuce, tomato slices, sprouts, etc.

1. Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Place on a paper towel and remove the outer skins. You can leave them on, but I like to remove them.

2. In a medium bowl, using a fork or potato masher smash the chickpeas and avocado together. Add in cilantro, green onion, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

3. Spread salad on bread and top with your favorite sandwich toppings. I like to add fresh spinach leaves.

Note: This salad also makes a great dip. Serve with cut up veggies, crackers, or pita chips. Also, this salad is best eaten the day it is made because it will turn brown due to the avocado.

Buffalo Chicken Club Sandwich

Grilled chicken breast covered is buffalo hot sauce in a club sandwich with tangy blue cheese.

Servings: makes 4 servings

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes

Printable Recipe

4 small chicken breasts
1 teaspoon paprika
salt and pepper to taste
oil for the grill
1/2 cup hot sauce (such as Frank's Red Hot)
2 tablespoons butter, melted
4 buns
8 strips bacon, cooked (optional)
1/2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup red onion, sliced
2 large tomatoes, sliced
4 leaves lettuce
4 tablespoons mayonnaise (optional)

1.Season the chicken with paprika, salt and pepper.
2.Heat the grill over medium heat and brush it down with oil.
3.Grill the chicken until cooked and slightly charred, about 3-5 minutes per side.
4.Mix the hot sauce and butter and coat the chicken in the mixture.
5.Assemble sandwiches and enjoy.
April 7th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich

■4 Jalapenos (small)
■1 Tbsp Cream Cheese
■½ Tbsp Ranch Dressing
■1-2 Tbsp Chives (chopped)
■Dehydrated Tomato (two slices)

First roast your jalapenos. You can do this on the barbeque, but since I was out of propane I roasted them on my stove element on medium-low heat (gotta make do with what you have!). While the jalapenos are roasting combine the cream cheese, ranch dressing, chives and dehydrated tomato in a bowl, mixing until smooth. Once the jalapenos are done roasting, place them in a Ziploc bag for a few minutes, then peel the skins off, cut them in half and remove the seeds and spines.

On one slice of bread spread the cream cheese mixture and lay out your jalapenos, then top with plenty of cheese (I just used Kraft Tex-Mex shredded cheese). Generously butter the outside of your sandwich and cook in a pan on medium heat until golden brown. Slice it In half and dig into this AMAZING grilled cheese sandwich!

Sloppy Joe Meatball Sandwich « Kayotic Kitchen
April 8th, 2012, 06:47 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
My dish: BBQ Ranch Bacon-Cheeseburgers

BBQ Ranch Bacon Cheeseburgers Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Chris's dish: Pizza Sandwiches

When reading up for this week's theme, I saw a couple places that said pizza is technically a sandwich (open-faced, I guess?). That didn't seem quite right, but I do love pizza, so I made some modifications.

I started by making some regular pizza dough and rolling/folding until I had a rectangle a bit thicker than a normal crust. I cut the rectangle into 8 pieces and baked a few minutes on each side at 550* until they started to brown and bubble. I then layered on some leftover homemade marinara and some mozzarella cheese on each piece. On half the pieces, I added onion. On the other half, I added either pepperoni or sausage. I baked them all at 350* until it looked good, removed from the oven, and sandwiched the halves together (onion half and meat half).

I think they came out pretty well, but I probably wouldn't go through the effort of making them again. I think I'd rather just do a regular pizza.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search