Week 15: One Pot

52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge

Branch out with your cooking by participating in this fun challenge with weekly themes. You can join any time in 2012!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 8th, 2012, 07:02 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Whole meal in only one pot this week. Crock pots will count as long as it's NOT a recipe you did that week.

Post your recipes and photos here.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
April 9th, 2012, 08:50 AM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Can it be just the main course made in the pot and sides in a different one or does it all have to be in 1 pot?

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

April 9th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyloves2dance View Post
Can it be just the main course made in the pot and sides in a different one or does it all have to be in 1 pot?
Whole meal in one pot. (It's pretty easy to do a main dish in one pot.)

Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
April 9th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Okay.

April 12th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Potatoe Turkey soup
6 cups chicken broth
Diced potatoes
Carrots
Bacon bits
Salt
Pepper
diced red onion
minced garlic
Green Onions
Diced left over turkey

Put everything except for green onions and turkey in crock pot and cook on high for at least 4 hours, mash in pot a bit when poatoe and carrots are cooking. toss in turkey and green onions and cook on low until it is heated through. (You could all put in some cheese at this point instead of turkey)

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
April 12th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
EASY BOSTON BAKED BEANS

Read more about it at Cooks.com - Recipe - Easy Boston Baked Beans
Content Copyright © 2012 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

1 large Vidalia or Sweet Spanish onion, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. olive oil or butter
3 slices bacon, finely chopped
24 oz jar Great Northern beans, rinse and drain
1/2 tsp. onion powder
28 oz can Pork and Beans
1 tablespoon molasses or maple syrup
1 cup ketchup
1/3 cup Open Pit Hickory flavored BBQ sauce

Saute Vidalia or Sweet Spanish onion in with bacon and 1/2 tsp. olive oil or butter for 5 minutes.
In a 4-5 quart baking dish or Crock-Pot, combine Pork and Beans, ketchup, BBQ sauce, onion powder, molasses or maple syrup. Add onion and bacon and Great Northern beans.

Bake, uncovered at 350°F about 30-35 minutes in oven or 2 hours on high in Crock-Pot.

Stir 2-3 times during baking.

April 15th, 2012, 06:34 PM
This one wasn't popular huh? I loved this one. Just didn't have much time this week.

Chris's dish was very impromptu. He made Deer Steaks with Potatoes, Carrots, and Onions.

Quote:
This was actually pretty impromptu, so I really didn't have a chance to plan it out. It turned out well, though.

I started by putting a couple tablespoons of butter, a diced potato, most of a sliced onion, a spoonful of minced garlic, and a pile of cracked black pepper into a 12-inch cast iron skillet. I cooked those until they looked mostly done (I was wrong) and added a couple small deer steaks. I got each side seared and added in a drained can of carrots. When the steaks were done, I set them aside to rest and cooked the veggies a little longer, only because the potatoes were underdone. After dishing out the veggies, I added some water back into the pan to deglaze it and make the sauce. While that reduced, I added some salt and pepper, a little heavy cream, and a little corn starch. (Sauces are not a strong point for me, yet) I poured the sauce over the steaks and served.

The steaks ended up a bit cold, but overall, I think it was pretty good.
For my dish I made Pan Roasted Chicken And Veggies Recipe - Food.com - 78707

April 16th, 2012, 09:24 AM
All of the dishes I thought of wanted me to brown something before adding it to the dish. If I had a dutch oven or pan that could be used on both the stove top and in the oven I probably could have made them work. Then there were some dishes I thought of, but had already used them on previous challenges so they were out. And then there was some other soups, but DH isn't a big soup person and it is getting warm enough here that soup just doesn't sound good right now. I wanted to do this one...just didn't work out though.

April 16th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyloves2dance View Post
All of the dishes I thought of wanted me to brown something before adding it to the dish. If I had a dutch oven or pan that could be used on both the stove top and in the oven I probably could have made them work. Then there were some dishes I thought of, but had already used them on previous challenges so they were out. And then there was some other soups, but DH isn't a big soup person and it is getting warm enough here that soup just doesn't sound good right now. I wanted to do this one...just didn't work out though.
Yea, when DH was buying his pots and pans (before we got together) that was one of his requirements: they had to be both stovetop and oven safe. I just googled "one pot recipes" and found mine.

April 16th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

Spicy rice, cook rice in broth with a little chili powder and a dice onion. In the last 15 min before the rice is done toss in a can of rinsed beans and diced peppers. Finish cooking.

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search