Week 16: Asparagus

52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge

Branch out with your cooking by participating in this fun challenge with weekly themes. You can join any time in 2012!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 16th, 2012, 08:33 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Post your pics and recipes here.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
April 18th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I made this recipe:
a lovin' forkful: Broiled Chicken Thighs and Asparagus with Lemon and Garlic
but I changed a few things, I didn't broil them because my oven dosen't do broil well, I also used bottle lemon juice and chicken thighs with legs attached, I had to use dried thyme and my asparagus sucked. I only bought it because that was this weeks theme, otherwise I would have passed it by since it was not the nicest and was imported from Mexico and looked it.

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook

Last edited by Tiki; April 18th, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
April 18th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
My aspargus isn't all that either... But the recipe rocked!

Bacon Wrapped Caramelized Sesame Asparagus

[adapted from green bean bacon bundles]

serves 4, is easily multiplied

1 bunch of asparagus, about 20-25 spears, stems removed

4 slices thick-cut bacon

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil

1 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar

1 garlic clove, minced or pressed

1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack on top. Spray the rack with nonstick spray. In a small bowl, whisk together oils, brown sugar and garlic. Set aside.

Bunch together 5-6 asparagus spears and tightly wrap a piece of bacon around the bundle. Place on the wire rack seam-side down and repeat. Using a pastry brush, a spoon or even your hands (I did this…), brush the spears thoroughly with the oil/sugar mixture. Give each bundle a hefty sprinkle of sesame seeds. Roast for 35-40 minutes, or until bacon is crispy. Serve warm.

Last edited by Happy Song; April 18th, 2012 at 09:07 PM.
April 19th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Asparagus & Spring Onion Croque Monsieur

Serves: However many you like

Note: I’ve included a recipe for a bechamel sauce that I really like (it’s from Nancy Silverton’s sandwich book), but by all means, if you have a go-to bechamel recipe, use it. After the bechamel is made, there really isn’t a need for a recipe here. Just pick your favorite spring vegetables and cook them however you like, or if you have access to some good ham or bacon, go the more traditional route and substitute the vegetables with the meat. If you use a bakery-style loaf of bread and come Gruyère or Comté cheese, you’re good to go.

asparagus and/or spring onions, ends trimmed
olive oil
kosher salt

good bread, cut into thick slices
bechamel sauce (recipe below)
grated gruyère, Comté or Swiss cheese
fresh thyme

1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Toss the asparagus and spring onions with olive oil and kosher salt on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast the vegetables until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Test with a knife for doneness.

2. Preheat the broiler. Place the slices of bread on a sheet pan and broil them about a minute on each side. Remove pan from the oven. Spread about a tablespoon of bechamel over each slice of bread. Top with the roasted vegetables. Top with grated cheese to taste.

3. Broil until the cheese is bubbling and starting to brown. Sprinkle with the fresh thyme and serve immediately

Bacon and Eggs and Asparagus Salad

Slightly Modified from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
Makes 2 main course salads or 4 first course salads

1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons sherry or white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and coarsely-ground black pepper
4 large eggs
1 bunch asparagus spears, preferably thick, trimmed
6 strips bacon
3 handfuls mesclun or other mixed salad greens, rinsed and dried
1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted

To make the vinaigrette: Put all the ingredients in a small jar, cover, and shake to blend; or use a small bowl and a whisk. Set aside, and shake (or whisk) again before using. (You can make the vinaigrette up to a week in advance and keep it in the fridge.)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and arrange the asparagus on a baking sheet. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast until just cooked through, about 5 mintues.

Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-low heat, turning as needed, until the bacon is golden and crisp on both sides. Remove the strips and put them between a double thickness of paper towels; when the bacon is cool, cut it into narrow strips or chop it into bits. Leave 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat in the skillet. Rewarm the bacon fat over medium heat. Cook eggs over-easy, making sure the yolks are still runny.

Season the mesclun with salt and pepper, then toss it with about three quarters of the vinaigrette, and arrange in the center of the platter or your plates. Toss the asparagus with the remaining vinaigrette and lay the spears over the greens. Lift the eggs out of the skillet and place them on top of the asparagus. Scatter the bacon bits and toasted pine nuts over the salad and serve immediately.

April 22nd, 2012, 05:36 PM
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
My dish:

Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
April 22nd, 2012, 05:48 PM
Chris's dish

Quote:
Flounder wrapped in Black Forest Ham on Asparagus Sauce with Baked Beats & Sweets

I've grilled and roasted asparagus before, so this time I decided to make a sauce. I boiled the asparagus until tender, drained most of the water, added a splash of lemon juice, 1 clove of minced garlic, and 1tsp salt and blended it all together. I then stirred in some heavy cream.

For the Flounder, I coated thin slices of black forest ham in egg and wrapped a pair of stacked filets. I baked it at 350 for about 20 minutes then cut in half and served on top the asparagus sauce.

For the side, I made "Baked Beats 'n' Sweets" using the recipe at:
Roasted Beets 'n' Sweets Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Both the asparagus sauce and the side dish had too much salt, in my opinion, but they were still good. I was pretty pleased with the meal.

April 22nd, 2012, 09:45 PM
Aspargus stirfry

Aspargus
Beef
onion
garlic
ginger
green onion
mushroom

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic: