Week 18: Salads

52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge

Branch out with your cooking by participating in this fun challenge with weekly themes. You can join any time in 2012!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 52 Weeks of Cooking Challenge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2012, 03:23 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Post Recipes and pictures here.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
May 3rd, 2012, 03:32 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Shrimp salas poor boy

Shrimp
green onion
celery
hot sauce
lemon jiuce

May 5th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

Taco salad
Salsa:
Red pepper, Orange Pepper, 1 Jalapeno seeded, red onion,m tomatoes
Dice everything really fine,
Add frozen corn (or canned) can of black beans,
drizzle, lime juice and olive oil over top, let sit for a few hours before serving in the fridge.

I marinated the steak for about an hour in a little chili powder and lime juice then cooked it in the grill pan.

To make the dressing you just combine equal part gucamole and sour cream (I used dairy free) usually I add in a little jarred salsa to get the right constitency but I was all out so I added a little lime juice and chili powder.
You serve over a bed of lettuce. With crushed up tortilla chips.

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
May 5th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
I served my salad along-side flounder. The flounder was baked in a foil packet topped with butter, onion, and garlic. We all agreed the flounder was both overdone and bland.

For the salad, I combined bits of two recipes from the Betty Crocker Italian Cookbook. Here's what I did:

2T chopped basil
5 cloves garlic (separated)
8c mixed greens
2t lemon juice
1t honey
1/4c chicken broth
1/2 red onion
2/3 each red, orange, and green bell peppers

1) Cook basil 4 cloves garlic, and 2 cups greens in a little oil until greens are wilted.
2) Add lemon juice, honey, and chicken broth to the cook greens. Cook for approximately 3 minutes. Add to fresh greens and refrigerate at least 1/2 hour.
3) Cook onion, peppers, and 1 clove garlic in a little oil. Add to greens and enjoy.

I thought the salad needed more of the broth/lemon/honey mixture. Chris and our dinner guest thought it was fine though.

Chris made a Greek Salad. Not liking tomatoes or olives, I did not have any of this.

Quote:
I like Greek salads but have never prepared my own before. It was pretty simple. I chunked up a couple roma tomatoes, half a cucumber, a green bell pepper, and a small red onion. I tossed all that with Kalamata olives and a dressing made of 3T olive oil, 1T balsamic vinegar, 1/2tsp dried oregano, and some salt and pepper and then topped with some sliced feta cheese.

It came out well enough. It could probably have done with a little less onion and more tomato.

Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
May 7th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Simple salad bar. Not really "new" for me, but we'd never tried it with the kids before so it was a new experience.

Started with romaine lettuce, then had cucumbers, mushrooms, red onions, boiled egg, grated carrot tomato, feta cheese, parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese, ham, turkey, and various dressings.

May 7th, 2012, 04:22 PM
This thread is now closed.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search