Who will be Banking baby's cord blood?

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By starsandstripes
  • 3 Post By KMH

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 27th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Kansascity kitty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We did it with Sophie and are for sure doing it again with this baby. We bank with Via cord. Since you never know what can happen during childhood or parents etc, Dh and I love having a plan B. Hopefully our family will never need to use the cord blood. My Dr. was amazed we filled the dang bag up lol, which is a great thing.

January 27th, 2012, 08:38 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
We didn't for Claire, and we won't this time, either. In my opinion, the whole thing is kind of a scam.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

January 27th, 2012, 08:52 AM
OhBrooke's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think we will, but I need to research more.

January 27th, 2012, 09:08 AM
starsandstripes's Avatar October 2012 DDC co-host
We did it with Evan and I really loved the whole process and the comfort of knowing that it's there. We used ViaCord too....LOVE them! Actually, my OB recommended it and said he did it with his last also. He never brought the subject up with me, I brought it up to him, so I felt like it wasn't just him pulling for the company to get kick backs or something. I'm not sure that we'll do it again this time only because we have Evan's and his counts came back astronomically high as far as how many stem cells they were able to save, but I haven't put a lot of thought into it either. We may decide to in the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBrooke View Post
I don't think we will, but I need to research more.
OHbrooke...I just had to ask, where was that picture of you and hubby taken? I stare at it every time I see a post from you....lol...beautiful!
Kansascity kitty likes this.

January 27th, 2012, 09:37 AM
OhBrooke's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aw, thanks!

That was taken in Monterey California Beautiful area.

January 27th, 2012, 09:57 AM
mommacache's Avatar Super Mommy
I will NOT be banking blood. In order to bank blood they need to clamp the cord immediately after birth (thus denying up to 1/2 of the blood flow from the placenta to the baby). The baby needs that blood. Delayed clamping (waiting until the cord has stopped pulsing and has turned white and skinny) is better for the baby.

This is something I'm pretty passionate about.

Here's a couple links to some information about delayed cord clamping:
Cord Blood Collection: confessions of a vampire-midwife | Midwife Thinking

Restricted Umbilical Cord Problems

This one shows in pics the difference in the cord immediately after birth and 15 mintues later-after all the blood has been transferred to the baby.NHBS › Magic Umbilical Cords

If you are on FB look up "Leaving a Baby's Umbilical Cord to Stop Pulsating" There are lots of very imformative articles including studies posted there.

Okay...stepping off my soap box.

Last edited by mommacache; January 27th, 2012 at 10:03 AM.
January 27th, 2012, 10:50 AM
I understand everyone has their own views on this issue, however I am no way meaning for this to become a debate.

January 27th, 2012, 11:31 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I think it is great to have topics like this where we can all share our views, and I hope we're all mature enough to be able to discuss our options without taking it personally or making it too personal. I have learned so much from other JM Mommies sharing their views and opinions...sometimes it is easier to discuss these things in a forum like this rather than with our real-life Mommy friends.

Everyone has to make the right parenting decisions for their own family, and I respect anyone who makes an informed decision!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

Last edited by KMH; January 27th, 2012 at 11:40 AM.
January 27th, 2012, 12:44 PM
I am in no way referring to any of the ladies that have replied to this thread. I do know that some topics can however turn into a mess. There are a lot of hormones running through our veins. As I said I have no issues with what other people's opinions are. I have seen threads in my past DDC and others turn into a crazy debate.

January 27th, 2012, 06:25 PM
faith*hope*love's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would like to, and have done alot of research on it. But in the end I am thinking it will depend on money.

Special thanks to cavewoman for my wonderful siggy!

January 27th, 2012, 10:54 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommacache View Post
I will NOT be banking blood. In order to bank blood they need to clamp the cord immediately after birth (thus denying up to 1/2 of the blood flow from the placenta to the baby). The baby needs that blood. Delayed clamping (waiting until the cord has stopped pulsing and has turned white and skinny) is better for the baby.

This is something I'm pretty passionate about.

Here's a couple links to some information about delayed cord clamping:
Cord Blood Collection: confessions of a vampire-midwife | Midwife Thinking

Restricted Umbilical Cord Problems

This one shows in pics the difference in the cord immediately after birth and 15 mintues later-after all the blood has been transferred to the baby.NHBS › Magic Umbilical Cords

If you are on FB look up "Leaving a Baby's Umbilical Cord to Stop Pulsating" There are lots of very imformative articles including studies posted there.

Okay...stepping off my soap box.

I 110% agree with this.
Is Private Cord Blood Banking Worth the Price? - ABC News

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search