Top baby items!

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 2nd, 2012, 02:59 PM
SammyJ's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know it's early to be buying stuff, but I am just curious what are some of the most important necessities to have for baby? Because I am so new to all of this, I have no idea where to start.

Btdt mamas, what are your top baby needs? Have you fallen in love with any carriers, travel systems, swings, etc?

Same goes for the first timers, any items you plan on buying for sure??

Thanks to *Sharon* for my awesome siggy! My pregnancy blog

February 2nd, 2012, 03:33 PM
Stilettos-N-Sippys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My faves are
zen swing and it's fabulous. The seat comes off and you can take it with you or use it like a bouncer.
Boppy
Diaper champ (A MILLION times cheaper than diaper genie)
Pack N Play with changing table (perfect for travel or to keep in your room)
video monitor
gumdrop pacis
the jj cole bundle me-for cold weather
Sleep sack-LOVE LOVE LOVE

Don't go overboard.. you don't need every baby thing on the market. I've never had a changing table with any of my kids... you can get away with a lot less than the registry guides would have you believe.

February 2nd, 2012, 04:24 PM
Peytonsmomma
im a lurker on here....but for my daughter this is what i needed after the baby is born, everyone forgets the moms lol
desitin diaper rash cream
baby nasal spray
hand sanitizer
nipple cream
breastmilk storage bags
dont go overboard with the newborn diapers, buy lots of 1-2 sizes
my daughter had 5 swings and HATED every one of them so i wont even suggest a swing
my daughter also hated the swaddler thing
you will need baby mitts
binkies, try different kinds
i LOVE dr brown bottles
the mama bear soothes every baby to sleep with the womb noises
February 2nd, 2012, 05:32 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
(Copied from an email I sent a friend)

You can ignore any/all of this What works for one Mama and baby won't work for everyone, and you'll have your own favorites before you know it. When Claire arrived a month before I expected her, I was a little unprepared and didn't feel organized at all. I quickly found out that all you really need are your boobs (if you are breastfeeding) and a lot of diapers and wipes, and you will be okay!

Baby Carriers - I used the Moby Wrap when she was really little (Moby Wrap Baby Carrier - Chocolate - Moby Wrap - Babies "R" Us) and it was wonderful. She would sleep for hours in it, and I loved having her snuggled up with me all the time. DH wore it, too, although only around the house. When she got a little older, we started using the Ergo carrier (ERGObaby Organic Baby Carrier - Navy - ErgoBaby - Babies "R" Us). It is amazing, and worth the price. I still wear her in it once in a while, and she loves riding around on my back. I also had a Hotsling sling-style carrier, and it was nice but only when she was super-tiny. I didn't think it felt secure and was constantly worried about the sling slipping off of my shoulder, so I wasn't a huge fan.

Swing - We bought one of the Fisher Price cradle swings (Fisher-Price Papasan Cradle Swing - My Little Lamb - Fisher-Price - Babies "R" Us) and it worked really well for us. Claire loved it, and the batteries actually lasted quite a long time. A lot of our friends have the same swing, and I have never heard of anyone not liking it.

Jumper - This was one of the most useful things we bought (Baby Einstein Musical Motion 2-in-1 Stationary Jumper & Entertainer - Bright Starts - Babies "R" Us). At first Claire's little legs wouldn't reach the ground so we had to put a catalog under her feet This thing kept her entertained forever, and she loved bouncing around in it. We'd take it outside and put it in the shade so she could play while we planted flowers, etc. and I don't think she ever got bored. We really only quit using it when we moved here, so she used it from 4-14 months.

High Chair - I had a full-sized one on my registry until I took care of my niece for a week and saw how great this one was (Fisher-Price Space Saver High Chair - Tan Swirl - Fisher-Price - Babies "R" Us). It doesn't take up extra space and is easy to clean (huge bonus!). We put her in it (reclined) from a very early age so she could sit at the table with us for meals, and she is still using it now for every meal! I highly recommend it.

Feeding -We had a Boppy nursing pillow and I never used it (at least not for breastfeeding). I also had a My Brest Friend pillow, and I really didn't care for it, either. Small pillows from the couch were easier to arrange, so that is what I used most of the time. Probably everyone you know will recommend the Medela pumps, and since I have never used one, I can't really agree or disagree. I, however, bought the Ameda Purely Yours, which I LOVED (Amazon.com: Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump: Health & Personal Care). It is about half the price, and I thought it worked perfectly.

Unfortunately I never found a nursing bra that I loved...even the expensive ones never seemed to fit right. I lived in the Target Long Nursing Tanks (Gilligan & OMalley® Womens Full Sling Nursing Ca... : Target) for the first 6 months after Claire was born! I wore them alone around the house and under regular tops when we went out, and they saved me. I liked that I could feed her and not have my stomach uncovered...no one needs to see the jelly belly after you have a baby When it was cooler I wore a cute cardi over them. I tried the regular length first and they were just too short...I was so glad to find the longer ones!

Baby Monitor - We started with a regular one and ended up buying the video monitor a few weeks after she was born....best purchase EVER. Babies make weird noises, and it was/is so nice to be able to peek at her and know that she was okay! I could see her chest rising/falling, which was a huge comfort, and I still use it every single day. Sometimes she'll wake up from a nap and sit and talk to herself or play hide-and-seek with herself and her blanket, and it is so much fun to watch her. We bought the Summer Infant brand and it works great...long range, clear picture, and the little hand-held thing still works after being dropped 100 times

The worst clothing items were the sleepers that had 15 snaps going up the front. They are cute, but at 2am you are NOT going to want to try and match up those silly snaps! Wal-Mart always has zip-front ones that are wonderful, and I think they are only $4 or $5, so when they get stained by baby-poop, you don't even worry about it.

Get more sheets and mattress pads than you think you need. You can never have too many burp cloths. Bottle warmers are the best invention since sliced bread.

As far as car seats go, I could write you a book We started out with a Graco Snugride 32 infant seat, which was nice, but I soon found that I didn't like to take it into stores/places. For me it was easier to wear her in her carrier than to lug around the heavy seat. She slept while I shopped, and weird strangers couldn't see/touch her if I wore her, which was great By 4 months, we had her in a convertible seat (Sunshine Kids RadianXTSL Convertible Car Seat - Eclipse - Sunshine Kids - Babies "R" Us) that will probably last her until she is ready for a booster seat. The new recommendation from the AAP is that kids sit rear-facing until the child is at least 2; the rear-facing limit on this seat is 45 pounds, and she probably won't hit that until she's 5!

Things we didn't like/use: bouncer (Toysrus.com Home - The Official Toys"R"Us Site - Toys, Games, & More screamed when we put her in it. I read a horrible article about how wipes warmers are breeding grounds for bacteria, so I didn't get one of those. We skipped the changing table and I didn't regret that since they outgrow it pretty quickly. DH says this makes me a hippie, but I found it easiest to bathe Claire with me in the tub. The baby bathtub was a mess to use, she always splashed all over the place, and she didn't really seem to enjoy it. I'd take her in with me, and she had a great time...it was like her own swimming pool!

A lot of these links are from Babies R Us since everything is all in one place, but they are usually the most expensive place to buy things...Wal-Mart is usually the cheapest! I also joined Amazon Mom (www.amazon.com/Mom) for free, and they have really great discounts on diapers, wipes, formula, etc. You can "subscribe" to items and they will automatically send you a shipment at an interval which you specify. The formula we used (Earth's Best Organic) was $29/can at Babies R Us and with Amazon Mom it was only $18/can. Huge difference!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

Last edited by KMH; February 2nd, 2012 at 06:09 PM.
February 2nd, 2012, 06:22 PM
Kansascity kitty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Maxi Cosi Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 Air Car Seat - Walnut Brown Not thrilled with the color but hey, that could change by the time we need it.

MamaRoo, and the Bugaboo Donkey (I wish I could use the seat from Sophies Chameleon) Have the rest already.

February 2nd, 2012, 06:49 PM
SammyJ's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awesome lists, ladies!! I am definitely copying this stuff down. Thank you!!

Thanks to *Sharon* for my awesome siggy! My pregnancy blog

February 3rd, 2012, 01:05 PM
jessjillmama's Avatar ***Staying Positive***
The only thing I can think of that they have not listed is lots of blankets and burp clothes. I always went to toysrus/babiesrus and bought clothe diapers to use as burp clothes.
Ava Sept 14th 2007, Beaux Oct 3rd 2012
* Tubal reversal December 17th 2010

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search