what are we not suppose to eat?

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Mrs.Paradise's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ok Im a newbie when it comes to pregnancy! lol and I know you arent suppose to eat sushi, lunch meat, soft cheeses... but what else?

and for the lunch meat is it everything? or can you have some? because thats all Ive been wanting now... is a yummy sun dried tomato turkey sandwich!!! and FRENCH DIPS!!! now I would cook the meat in the french dips so that should be fine right?
February 15th, 2012, 07:45 AM
mandattu_02's Avatar Mom to 2 beautiful babies
The meat for the French dips should be ok since its cooked. Also, with my last pregnancy, my OB told me that I could have an occasional turkey sandwich after the first trimester....which I did. I was also told that you're not supposed to have hot dogs, but I craved and ate a TON of hotdogs when I was pregnant with Ryan and he turned out just fine.

The main thing I avoided was high mercury fish and raw cookie dough (another fave).

They also warn against limiting caffeine. No high allergy foods such as peanut butter. I'm not sure how accurate that is though.

**Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!**

February 15th, 2012, 07:59 AM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Also, some foods people just avoid because they make pregnancy symptoms (heartburn, gas, bloatedness) worse e.g. asparagus does not help with gas speaking from experience. I eat a lot of seafood; I just make sure to avoid the high mercury ones as mentioned above. My food choices probably change very little with pregnancy and birth.
**Jenn** and JaxonsMom2010 like this.

Sisters, friends forever
February 15th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The main things I've heard are to limit caffeine, some say no alcohol some say limit alcohol, no raw meats, no raw eggs (so doughs and batters), no lunch meat or unpasteurized dairy products like raw milk and soft cheese (I've never followed this one personally).

The reason I don't follow the lunch meat/soft cheese rule is because you're actually at risk of getting listeria from lunch meats/soft cheeses ALL the time, it's just more dangerous if you're pregnant. But in my mind, the odds of getting it are so ridiculously slim (who have you ever heard of that got listeriosis?) that it's not worth the inconvenience. We know lots of Amish and Mennonite people and dairy farmers (we live in a rural area) and they all have lots of kids and drink raw milk, but none of them have ever gotten listeriosis. Seems like an overreaction to me. But hey, that's just me, I'm a low-key person and not much of a worrier.

I also still drink an occasional caffeinated cup of tea or coffee if I feel like it (but I'm much more a tea drinker than a coffee drinker and I mostly prefer herbal teas so it's not much of an issue). After the first trimester, I will still drink half a glass or a glass of wine with dinner if I feel like it (but I'm also not much of an alcohol drinker so it's pretty rare). On the alcohol thing, it's a fairly unpopular view, but my take on it is -- all of the research linking drinking to fetal alcohol syndrome is about mothers who are alcoholics or binge drinkers. My mother and basically her entire generation drank moderately and continued to drink moderately while pregnant and we're not all (or even mostly, or even a more significant portion than the current generation) disabled so it can't be that dangerous to have half a glass of wine. Just my personal opinion.
**Jenn** and Kansascity kitty like this.

February 15th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Mrs.Paradise's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
thanks everyone! good to know!
February 15th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandattu_02 View Post

They also warn against limiting caffeine. No high allergy foods such as peanut butter. I'm not sure how accurate that is though.
I think I've heard the no high allergy foods once or twice before too....that being said, I ate a TON of peanut butter with my son and it hasn't seemed to make a bit of difference.
February 15th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyLover View Post
I think I've heard the no high allergy foods once or twice before too....that being said, I ate a TON of peanut butter with my son and it hasn't seemed to make a bit of difference.
Yeah I think that might be more if allergies run in your family or something. I know you're supposed to wait until 1 to give babies nut butters, but if allergies run in your family you're supposed to wait until 2 so maybe it's similar with pregnancy and being more cautious if you have reason to be.
Mrs.Paradise likes this.

February 15th, 2012, 09:09 AM
~Caroline~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I lived on peanut butter during my last pregnancy and I'm craving it all the time now. I talked about it with my OB last time and she said not to worry about it so I didn't. I haven't given DS any peanut butter yet so I don't know if he has allergies or not.
JaxonsMom2010 likes this.

February 15th, 2012, 10:23 AM
JaxonsMom2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If it wasn't for peanut butter, I wouldn't survive the queasy feeling.

It seems to be the only thing that helps it some days.

February 15th, 2012, 10:25 AM
SuperMom
As long as the lunch meat is heated to a certain temperature it's okay to eat it :-)

February 15th, 2012, 10:37 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
i'm pretty sure hotdogs and coldcuts are fine if they are the prepackaged, nitrate free kind. applegate makes good ones that should be fine.
February 15th, 2012, 01:37 PM
wickerhart's Avatar Veteran
Soft serve ice cream because the bacteria that grows on the machines from improper cleaning. That's what my aunt said. I tried to eat hotdogs a couple days ago. Yeah it didn't work. Its one of my adversions. Along with ranch dressing. I think anything that's overly processed isn't very healthy. Pregnant or not lol
Mrs.Paradise likes this.

2/18/12 (7weeks)

February 15th, 2012, 02:58 PM
JennyLee's Avatar TTC #1 after loss
The cold cuts and hot dogs are fine if they're heated until they're steaming. I think the highly allergenic food thing is if you are already susceptible to allergies.
TTC #1 since 1/11, Unexplained Infertility
M/C 2/12
Polyp Removal 11/12
4 failed IUIs

IVF #1
Started stims 9/27
ER 10/8 - 24 eggs, 15 fertilized!
Blast transfer 10/13, 4 snowbabies
Very faint 10/18 (5dp5dt)
Beta #1 10/23 - 339!!!
Beta #2 10/25 - 856!!!
U/S 11/14 - Heart rate 144!

Abigail arrived 6/28/14!

My Belly Pics
February 15th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Stilettos-N-Sippys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used to hear you're not supposed to eat honey... but I don't think that's true. As long as you're not eating anything unpasteurized or under cooked, I think it's okay.

February 15th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Peytonsmomma
i used to just go to subway and have them double toast it, i would treat myself to crab once a month!
February 15th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Kansascity kitty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillian713 View Post
Yeah I think that might be more if allergies run in your family or something. I know you're supposed to wait until 1 to give babies nut butters, but if allergies run in your family you're supposed to wait until 2 so maybe it's similar with pregnancy and being more cautious if you have reason to be.
Not so sure about this one. I hate peanut butter but while pregnant with Halle it was a quick snack like six times a day well lo and behold she's allergic to peanut butter. Also my mom was a crazy pregnant eating machine and ate a pound of shrimp four times a week while carrying me. Hmmmm. I'm allergic to crustations go figure. Who knows but I would say my daughter and I were significantly affected.
Jillian713 likes this.

February 15th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Kansascity kitty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My daughter and I also see a immunologist we are allergic to a total of 37 me 34 Halle of the possible 40 items on the allergy list. Seriously bad environmentally wise. I am or was until I got preggers becoming allergic to poached, or sunny side eggs. Weird never had an issue prior to my last pregnancy. That was one of my indications I was pregnant even before the positive hpt, because I had no itching of the inner ear or throat. So long story short allergies suck and sometimes new ones don't emerge until we age. My Epi pen is one of my BFF's.

Sorry for the long post oops!

February 16th, 2012, 05:52 AM
myfavoriteshoes's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to myfavoriteshoes
- Eggs unless they are completely cooked through
- Soft serve ice cream
- Non pasteurized dairy products

Thats all I can think of, right now.

February 16th, 2012, 07:28 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't follow the lunch meat thing either and I don't heat it up either--yuck! I have learned through my pregnancies that I need to eat what will stay down. That may mean less than healthy choices in the beginning but once the morning sickness thing goes I can go back to healtheir choices. Its all about surviving the morning sickness!
mandattu_02 and Jillian713 like this.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

February 16th, 2012, 08:39 AM
revolutionarygirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
if you haven't already, you might want to get a pregnancy book, like the what to expect when you're expecting one?

but you can also google questions like this and find it quickly. Just for future ref!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search