The Baby-Wearing Thread!

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2012, 12:25 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
There have been several ladies post about wanting more info about baby-wearing and which carriers/slings/wraps people like, so I thought I'd start a thread where everyone can post their questions/info!
JillMama likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

February 27th, 2012, 12:35 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I had three different types of carriers for my first. Here are my thoughts:

Hotslings: https://www.hotslings.com/cart

I liked my Hotsling for about two months after Claire was born. It was nice when she was super-small, but as soon as she started to really grow, she didn't like it any more. I was also always nervous that it would slip off of my shoulder...I never felt 100% secure with it. I don't recommend it.

Moby Wrap: Moby Wrap Baby Carrier - Navy - Moby Wrap - Babies "R" Us

I really love the Moby wrap. I wore Claire almost constantly around the house, and the Moby let me get housework done, cook supper, etc. with her sleeping peacefully on my chest. For venturing out, the Moby kept nosey strangers from touching her, and she could snooze while I grocery shopped. There are many ways to use the Moby...it is very versatile and I loved that I could change things up or even create my own carrying style.

The Moby does take some practice...I watched the You Tube videos and practiced with stuffed animals before Claire was born It is also kind of a pain to put on when you are out and about...it is really long, so it drags the ground if you are in a parking lot. I recommend putting it on before you leave the house and then you can just put the baby in when you arrive at your destination.

DH wouldn't wear this one in public, but he wore it around the house a lot and loved it.

Finally, the Ergo! ERGObaby Organic Baby Carrier - Dark Chocolate - ErgoBaby - Babies "R" Us

The Ergo is just amazing. I bought the infant insert for it so I could use it from birth, but I didn't like it that much. It worked, but the Moby was better for a newborn. Once I could wear Claire without the infant insert (4 months) I fell in love with the Ergo. I never feel like I'm carrying a ton of weight around...even now when Claire is 19 months old. She loves riding in it, and I always feel like she's safe and secure. We wear her hiking, to the store, to the zoo, doing yard work outside, etc. and she is always comfy and happy. DH will gladly wear the Ergo in public...we got the chocolate brown one so he feels comfortable with it. It easily adjusts from person to person, and it isn't at all tricky or complicated. If I could only have one carrier, I'd get the Ergo.

Melissa & DH

February 27th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Mom2MacNFinn
I've had a babyhawk and a ring sling. I hated the ring sling but loved my babyhawk and will likely buy another.

February 27th, 2012, 12:41 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Now for my question...has anyone worn twins before? I know you can do it with the Moby, but are there other options out there?

Melissa & DH

February 27th, 2012, 01:16 PM
rstarkey's Avatar Veteran
I've never worn a baby, but I'm so intrigued by it. It seems that the baby would like it! Thank you for your experience and links that you gave. I really appreciate it.
JillMama likes this.

February 27th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Mrs.Paradise's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I LOVE THE MOBY WRAP!!! Ive never had a baby before this one! but I would use it on my niece to give my sil a break! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!! Im for SURE getting one of these!!!
February 27th, 2012, 01:37 PM
mandattu_02's Avatar Mom to 2 beautiful babies
I tried the Moby wrap, a Chicco carrier and also the Ergo.

I HATED the Chicco one. We used it once to go hiking and it was the most uncomfortable, unsupporting thing on earth!

I used my Moby a lot at home, but to go out and about, I thought it was too much of a pain to use.

I finally broke down and bought an Ergo and LOVE it! Its so comfy for both you and baby. Very easy on your back and great support for the LO. Ryan crashes out everytime we put him in it. I would definitely recommend the Ergo!

**Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!**

February 27th, 2012, 01:38 PM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
So can someone give insight on Moby wrap vs Boba?? They look very similar. I am wondering if there are pros/cons to one vs the other.. Oh, this is all sooo overwhelming. lol. Thank goodness we have 9 months to prepare.

Thanks for starting this thread, Melissa. I am SO excited to wear our baby; the benefits are a mile long!!
Thank you for your comparisons as well; I already added an Ergo to my amazon wishlist and added the infant insert as well; but maybe I will just use the Moby/Boba for the first few months and then switch to Ergo.

February 27th, 2012, 01:43 PM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
Added:

Found a pretty good review of Moby vs Boba and other websites I just read seemed to prefer Boba, mostly because there is some stretch to the fabric, making it easier to put the baby in.

Baby Carrier Reviews: Boba Wrap vs. Moby Wrap | The Baby Wearing Blog

But I am sure they are both really good wraps. I do like that Moby's is 100% cotton. I have several months to decide I guess.

February 27th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to momopotamus Send a message via MSN to momopotamus
I love, love, LOVE my Moby wrap. It looks intimidating to wrap at first cause its so long, but its really SUPER easy. We've been using it since my daughter was a week old, shes 6 months old now and loves to be worn facing forward so she can see everything. Even my husband wears her No matter which carrier/wrap you choose I highly recommend wearing baby! I never wore my son and boy let me tell you, my life would have been SO much easier if I did!! lol

TTC #4 since 9/2013 150mg Clomid BFP 5/22/14! Stick Bean Stick!
We have a heartbeat :-) EDD 1/31/15!

February 27th, 2012, 01:52 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
All I can say is, if you plan to baby wear, invest in a GOOD carrier! I have an ergo, and absolutely love it. I was able to wear Josiah until he was 3 in the ergo. We used it all the time! I'm thinking about borrowing a moby wrap from a friend for the first few months with baby #2...I don't have the infant insert for my ergo since Josiah was already 9months when I purchased it, so I was thinking moby for the first few months, then ergo. My second favorite carrier is the Beco Gemini. It doesn't fit my body as well as the ergo, but I have several friends who love it. The plus to that one is that it is ergonomic, but has the option of forward facing, which the ergo does not. I've tried on lots of other carriers, and Moby, Ergo, and Beco are the three I consistently recommend new parents check out.

February 27th, 2012, 02:08 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaSunshine View Post
No matter which carrier/wrap you choose I highly recommend wearing baby!
Amen! I cannot imagine not having worn Claire, both because of the convenience, and because there's nothing better than a sweet-smelling baby snuggled up on your chest

Melissa & DH

February 27th, 2012, 03:15 PM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you for all the info veterans!

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
February 27th, 2012, 05:31 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
May I add, under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you get a Baby Bjorn. You will kill your back, and it is not ergonomically correct for baby.

February 27th, 2012, 05:33 PM
~Caroline~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I adore my Ergo, I use it all the time. I used a wrap type of carrier (the brand is Maman Kangourou) when he was a newborn and I really liked it too, but then when summer came it was just too hot for him to be in it for long. My friend let me borrow her infantino carrier and I liked it but I could tell it wouldn't be comfortable when he'd get bigger, so I got the Ergo. Best.baby.purchase.ever. I want to buy the infant insert for the next baby.

February 27th, 2012, 05:34 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
LOVE babywearing!

For starters, everyone who is interested in BW check out TheBabyWearer.com Once you become a member you can get on the forums and buy used carriers at great prices. There is a great review section TheBabyWearer.com *:: *Products Reviews where you can read all about the different types.

So to start, there are the wraps which don't have any buckles and look like one long piece of cloth that you wrap around you and baby. The stretchy ones limit how many holds you can do but the woven ones give you tons of different ways to wear it:

Personally, I love the Sleepy Wrap which I googled and am seeing is now called the Boba wrap. It's the best thing for itty bitty babies, but it's so stretchy that at around 15 pounds it starts to sag. After that point I personally used a Home - Storchenwiege wrap which is very thick, super supportive, but has a definite learning curve. The woven wraps also need some breaking in by tying them in knots, sleeping on them, sitting on them, etc as they come a bit crunchy but once they soften up they are like butter.

Then there are the asian carriers like the Mei Tai:

Someone else mentioned the BabyHawk which I also adore. Freehand is also a fabulous Mei Thai and compared to the BabyHawk it is lighter weight, has a shorter body, thinner material, and cooler for warm weather, but on the contrary slightly not as supportive. So it's great for newborns and then the BabyHawk is a good next carrier. I am definitely a Mei Tai girl, over any other type of carrier.

I ended up having a woven Storch wrap converted into a Bamberoo Mei Tai wrap conversion... basically a Mei Tai with wide straps that can fan out like they do in a regular wrap but it's got the feel of the Mei Tai. I LOVE it. I was on a custom wait list for like 7 months, so worth it though. I'm going to see if I can send it back to have it made smaller for a newborn. It's a great idea to buy a used woven wrap that's already broken in to have converted into a Mei Tai. Wrap conversions look something like this:

Slings are popular but I am not as much of a fan. Had a Hotsling and hated it, ended up getting a super wide Kalea ring sling that I am so excited to wear a newborn in. I am not a fan of the cradle carry but with a ring sling you can wear a newborn tummy to tummy up near your shoulder and you can get a good snug fit with the ring.

Soft structure carriers are the most popular, like the Ergo everyone is mentioning. It's a great carrier that's good for hiking and easy on and off with toddlers who don't want to stay put in a long wrap which gets annoying having to untie and tie when they want up and down. I'm also not a fan of the buckles, sometimes they dig in to you, which is another reason why I gravitate to the Mei Tai's which are just cloth and nothing else. Another thing to consider is the Ergo isn't perfect for a newborn, I tend not to use my Ergo until at least 3 months or so. Not a fan of the infant insert they make. There are MANY other great soft structured carriers out there too. If anyone wants recommendations to ones that aren't as expensive as the Ergo, let me know. You can also find good deals on used Ergos on thebabywearer.com as well as Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com which has a for sale or trade- baby carriers forum.

Another favorite carrier I have to throw out there is the Scootababy which is like a soft structured sling for the hip. It can only be used with babies who can sit up unassisted so it's not a good started carrier but its so comfy and supportive.

In regards to wearing twins, tandem babywearing is totally doable! I've worn both my sons together when they were littler. Mei Tais and wraps are great for that. You can do a wrap on the front and something like the Ergo on the back. You can see lots of people doing it if you just google.

I babywearing, maybe too much. But what's better than wearing your baby on your chest? I remember the first time I put my son in a stroller when he was 5 months old and almost had a panic attack having him facing the whole world as we set off to explore. Not to mention how convenient it is to wear a baby around instead of having to mess with a infant car seat, strollers, etc.
KMH and bryan and nina like this.
February 27th, 2012, 05:59 PM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'll add my preference. This is how my ancestors carried their babies without fail and I will carry all of mine this way as well. This is a pic of me and dd at Atlanta airport. It is easiest and least stressful for me. Tried some western carriers and none come close.

LucilleTwo likes this.

Sisters, friends forever
February 27th, 2012, 06:01 PM
^^ adorable.
yashobo likes this.
February 27th, 2012, 06:11 PM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks, she still asks for me to carry her like that now but I tell her mummy is tired. Some also wear it sideways and in front and all you need is really one or two pieces of clothes. It is pretty cheap and easy if you know to to tie it.

Sisters, friends forever
February 27th, 2012, 06:14 PM
I had my inlaws pick me up some fabric in Kenya so I could try and make my own but I couldn't figure out how to do it the right way. The fabric sure was beautiful though!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search