Issues with work and when to tell...

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mrs.Paradise
  • 1 Post By IneedCoffee

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 2nd, 2012, 09:23 AM
Veteran
So when I first found out I was pregnant I decided that I wasn't going to officially announce anything at work until I was out of the first trimester. However, over the past few weeks as symptoms have started to set in, I'm almost tempted to tell them sooner, just for the sake of making my life easier.
I work in a small-ish retail store, so my constant trips to the back room to gag/pee are going to become increasingly more obvious and I know they will annoy my coworkers who don't know whats up. Also, I work for 8 hours a day on my feet the entire time, so being scheduled shorter shifts or being "allowed" to sit down when no one is in the store would be a godsend. Lastly, when I have to close the store I don't get home until almost 11 pm, and am so exhausted I am physically sick. I was thinking of having my midwife write me a doctor's note excusing me from closing shifts if my boss wouldn't just do it on his own. For this, the sooner I could stop working closing shifts the better.
What do y'all think? Have any of you ended up telling work early for similar reasons?
March 2nd, 2012, 10:26 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Mom2MacNFinn
I'm waiting to get an ultrasound, but I work in a super small office i'm sure they already know. I gag half the day and am always running to the ladies room.

March 2nd, 2012, 10:30 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With my first son I told around 5-6 weeks simply for the puking factor. I worked with small children with special needs and/or developmental delays so they had to know I wasn't contagious.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

March 2nd, 2012, 10:39 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by **Jenn** View Post
With my first son I told around 5-6 weeks simply for the puking factor. I worked with small children with special needs and/or developmental delays so they had to know I wasn't contagious.
Yeah I'm thinking this might be an issue for me too. I work in an environment where we have a lot of physical contact with our customers, so if they think I'm contagious I will get sent home.
March 2nd, 2012, 10:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
With my son I managed to make it to 12 weeks without telling. I work in a hospital environment though, so there are some things my job requires that I can't/prefer not to do while pregnant, like manually ventilate a patient through an MRI or CT scan. Even with the lead, I leave that for my coworkers.
March 2nd, 2012, 10:55 AM
Mrs.Paradise's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
good luck in whatever you decide to do... Im lucky and am a house wife... so I dont have to worry about the things you do... but if it were me I would just tell them... hopefully it will make life a little easier for you!
Kansascity kitty likes this.
March 2nd, 2012, 11:11 AM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I told my direct boss at about 6.5 weeks just because I get sick a lot and need to stay at home in morning. I was working from 7am to 3pm. Now, I got a doctor's report and take 2 hours of sick leave every morning so that I can work from 9am to 3pm. I was just too sick to care. If you need the support, I'll say just tell them.

Sisters, friends forever
March 2nd, 2012, 11:34 AM
IneedCoffee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I won't tell anyone at work until I am showing and it is obvious. I work in a male dominate industry, and I don't like to show any form of weakness. When you do, you lose projects, positions and respect. I've worked too hard to gain those here.
bostoncreampie likes this.

My Blog
March 2nd, 2012, 11:43 AM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
I hate that you feel like that!! I understand where you are coming from but I just wish our world wouldn't still operate like that.

To the original post; yes, I told work basically right away. I work as a dog groomer with 2 other ladies so they had to know, mainly because I can't lift the big guys anymore. Plus we are very close and they knew of our long journey to conceive again.
I would go ahead and tell; it sounds like it would make your life a lot easier at this point!

March 2nd, 2012, 11:45 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan and nina View Post
I hate that you feel like that!! I understand where you are coming from but I just wish our world wouldn't still operate like that.

To the original post; yes, I told work basically right away. I work as a dog groomer with 2 other ladies so they had to know, mainly because I can't lift the big guys anymore. Plus we are very close and they knew of our long journey to conceive again.
I would go ahead and tell; it sounds like it would make your life a lot easier at this point!
I guess I'm just being silly and afraid of "jinxing" it, now that the shock has worn off and the excitement is starting to set in...even though I know that's totally illogical. I can't help it!
March 2nd, 2012, 11:50 AM
SabrinaH's Avatar Pregnant with #1!
I ended up being put in a position at work where I had to tell my boss and the next two levels of upper management. We had a co-worker at another site who came down with shingles. They wanted me to go over there to run it, but since I've never had chickenpox or the vaccine there was no way in hell I was going to do that. I even called my doctor's office just to be sure and the nurse made a comment that I might want to let work in on the secret just in case.

March 2nd, 2012, 05:42 PM
missmorganxo
With my first pregnancy, I waited until I saw the heartbeat and I was like 8 weeks until I told. I also worked in a very small retail jewelry store and when I told my boss, she said "That's not news to us, we all knew you were pregnant."

LOL. I was constantly gagging and peeing, and looked huge. I'm very small framed, so I couldn't hide it.

I'd just tell, so your life can be easier. Being on your feet 8 hours is hard when you're pregnant anyway, and you definitely need them to understand why you're going to the bathroom constantly!

Good luck and congratulations!
March 2nd, 2012, 05:46 PM
Kansascity kitty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Jessica I am with you, I would have been fired a long time ago just for not being able to show up. I am so sick with each pregnancy there is no way. I give you ladies props that can feel like **** , barf and still put your best foot forward and work.

Ha ha wish I could like my own post I think it's pretty funny.....(Silly pregnant lady)

Last edited by Kansascity kitty; March 2nd, 2012 at 05:50 PM.
March 3rd, 2012, 08:29 AM
Veteran
Thanks everyone for your input. I tried to post a reply yesterday but for some reason it didn't go through...?
I will probably tell my boss sometime in the next week or 2 when the store is slow and we have a minute to ourselves. I guess I'm just nervous about telling people so early on.
March 3rd, 2012, 10:38 AM
revolutionarygirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a little concerned your work environment might be too stressful for you...? staying up so late? on your feet all the time. I dunno. I'm not doing it, but, sometimes I just want to go to bed at 7:30! I can't imagine having to work till 11
good luck deciding!
March 3rd, 2012, 08:08 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolutionarygirl View Post
I'm a little concerned your work environment might be too stressful for you...? staying up so late? on your feet all the time. I dunno. I'm not doing it, but, sometimes I just want to go to bed at 7:30! I can't imagine having to work till 11
good luck deciding!
I *do* want to go to bed early! I don't actually work until 11, though. I live in a large city and when you're just a single lady, it's MUCH cheaper and easier to get around by bus. So usually the latest I would be in the store is 9:30, but then it takes me almost an hour to get home that late (for some reason bus service to/from my workplace is terrible, and much worse at night and on the weekends). Then once I'm home I've got to get settled, get the dog out, try and eat something, etc. By the time all of that is said and done it's usually well past 11.
Of course, now we will NEED to get a car, so this all may be a moot point (although I am still ready for bed WAY before 9:30 most nights!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search