First prenatal visit

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Pleione

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 2nd, 2012, 01:18 PM
Pleione's Avatar Momtographer
So today was my very first prenatal care with the Birth Center in Wilmington, DE. I was nervous but excited. Nervous because I haven't received any kind of check up in close to ten years and excited because it meant checking on the health of my baby.

They did all the usual stuff ... forms, health check, history, etc. Then came the nerve wracking PAP SMEAR that I have not done in forever. Can you say shy? I was so UNSURE about it all I forgot that they stuck a metal device up there lmao.

Since its a birth center they don't have any way to do an ultrasound, however they can hear the heart using some sort of device. As I mentioned a long while back when I first joined, I have absolutely no idea when I am due. I never paid attention or kept real track of my mestrual cycles at all. My last one may or may not have been somewhere around December or early January (but I don't recall having one in January at all). The midwife was positive that if I was still early she wouldn't hear anything, but she decided to try anyway and began to search for a heartbeat.

Within seconds... she found it.

The room was filled with a healthy beating heart and I was ... almost brought to tears. According to the midwife, that means I must be around 11 weeks or maybe even more! I'm A LOT further than I thought I was!! I may have experienced the symptoms in January, but it's highly possible that I conceived somewhere in December. I'm flustered. I've been telling myself all month long that I don't feel or believe myself to be pregnant. That heartbeat, however, proved me wrong. This also means that I may be a September mama and not an October one. No matter! As I told you ladies before, whether I'm October or September I'm here to stay in the October club! I just hope you guys don't mind having me here since I was so unsure about when I could be due.

Now I'm expected to go and get an ultrasound so she can get a determined date and also blood work. Lots and lots of homework! I'm so excited. It's REALLY happening.

Last edited by Pleione; March 2nd, 2012 at 01:28 PM.
March 2nd, 2012, 01:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Glad you heard the heartbeat! Oh and as far as being shy, um well you won't be shy after having a baby! Especially during delivery.

March 2nd, 2012, 01:23 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations on hearing the heartbeat!

I had my last 2 at a free standing birth center (The Birth Center in Bryn Mawr, PA) and it was so awesome! I didn't know there was a birth center in Wilmington too!

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

March 2nd, 2012, 01:23 PM
mommaof4andhalf's Avatar Mighty Midget Minion Mom
So excited for you!
March 2nd, 2012, 01:26 PM
Nicole1108's Avatar Veteran
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay - so happy to hear the good news!!!! I had to get a Pap at my first visit too - I tried to get out of it - but my dr wasnt having it! I hate those things!!!!

No matter how long we must be apart......
God will bring us back together
<3

March 2nd, 2012, 01:30 PM
October 2012 DDC co-host
awww, that's awesome news!!! Congratulations on hearing that precious heart beat! NOTHING like it!

March 2nd, 2012, 01:32 PM
Pleione's Avatar Momtographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by **Jenn** View Post
Congratulations on hearing the heartbeat!

I had my last 2 at a free standing birth center (The Birth Center in Bryn Mawr, PA) and it was so awesome! I didn't know there was a birth center in Wilmington too!
Yes there is! I was debating between the one in Bryn Mawr or the one in Wilmington. I eventually decided to do the Wilmington one since they have a room dedicated for water birth! The ladies there are extremely friendly and I couldn't be happier. I've heard great things about the one in Bryn Mawr but I was unsure about the transfer rates to hospitals there.
March 2nd, 2012, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleione View Post
Yes there is! I was debating between the one in Bryn Mawr or the one in Wilmington. I eventually decided to do the Wilmington one since they have a room dedicated for water birth! The ladies there are extremely friendly and I couldn't be happier. I've heard great things about the one in Bryn Mawr but I was unsure about the transfer rates to hospitals there.
I think most of the hospital transfers are first time Moms who decide to get pain meds. I almost needed a hospital transfer with my second son but that was after he was already born and I was hemorrhaging (they got it under control in time though). I was disappointed about the no water birth thing though--that's great Wilmington does it! You're going to love being at a birth center, it really is awesome. I'm back at a hospital this time because we're too far away (hour and a half with no traffic and my last labor was about an hour and a half and almost delivered in the car so we can't risk it). But my hospital does water births so thats exciting! I hope we both get to have them!!!

March 2nd, 2012, 02:07 PM
booboobunny's Avatar mzdee
Thats awesome you got to hear the heart beat !!!!

Me - Daynuh

March 2nd, 2012, 02:18 PM
missmorganxo
Congratulations! That's probably really shocking and exciting at the same time!
March 3rd, 2012, 03:45 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Mom2MacNFinn
Quote:
I think most of the hospital transfers are first time Moms who decide to get pain meds. I almost needed a hospital transfer with my second son but that was after he was already born and I was hemorrhaging (they got it under control in time though). I was disappointed about the no water birth thing though--that's great Wilmington does it! You're going to love being at a birth center, it really is awesome. I'm back at a hospital this time because we're too far away (hour and a half with no traffic and my last labor was about an hour and a half and almost delivered in the car so we can't risk it). But my hospital does water births so thats exciting! I hope we both get to have them!!!

Pleione and **Jenn** Where abouts do you both live? I'm so jealous about the birthing centers. Bryn Mawr is amazing. I'm high risk so it's not even possible for me. I deliver at Hahnehmann.

March 3rd, 2012, 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2MacNFinn View Post
Pleione and **Jenn** Where abouts do you both live? I'm so jealous about the birthing centers. Bryn Mawr is amazing. I'm high risk so it's not even possible for me. I deliver at Hahnehmann.
We used to live just outside Philadelphia but we've been in Western NJ since right before our second son was born. We're just across the river from PA (about 25 minutes north of Allentown) so easily accessible to the major highways and if my labors weren't so quick I probably would make the drive back to Bryn Mawr again. But I am pleased with my hospital (Hackettstown) and excited to do a water birth!

March 3rd, 2012, 05:43 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Mom2MacNFinn
Quote:
We used to live just outside Philadelphia but we've been in Western NJ since right before our second son was born. We're just across the river from PA (about 25 minutes north of Allentown) so easily accessible to the major highways and if my labors weren't so quick I probably would make the drive back to Bryn Mawr again. But I am pleased with my hospital (Hackettstown) and excited to do a water birth!
**Jenn** thats really cool I'd love a water birth but i'm not even able to do that. It stinks. I'll be moving back to South Jersey in a few months once I find a house.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search