Is Febreze safe or toxic?

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree27Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 14th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Jinnah
I sprayed some Febreze and decided I didn't like the smell. DH commented on it and said I shouldn't be spraying chemicals, anyway. I never thought of Febreze (the spray bottle) as a chemical, so I looked it up and some say it's toxic, some say it isn't. Do any of you use it? Has anyone heard that it isn't safe? Thanks!
June 15th, 2012, 04:55 AM
myfavoriteshoes's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to myfavoriteshoes
Anything with ingredients on it that you can barely pronounce or don't know what it is, is full of chemicals. And we all know chemicals=toxic/bad for you. So I would stay away from that. If you just want a homemade easy air freshner, just mix some lemon juice into a spray bottle filled with water... and spray around your home. You can also add some essential oils to it if you'd like, like Lavender and such. It works great.

June 15th, 2012, 07:30 AM
jlstebbins's Avatar *Super*Mega*Mommy*
Well, I havent sprayed any in awhile. BUT....When you spay it, dont walk into the spray, let it settle and your fine! Its just like a candle. And the chemicals dont stay in the air for you to breath. Well, thats my opinion, and you ARE NOT doing any harm to the baby. Im the over protective pregnant mom forsure, and that is totally fine to spray febreeze!
Jinnah likes this.

June 15th, 2012, 07:37 AM
michellelove0502's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Its not like you are standing next to the area that you are spraying and inhaling it, right? lol Once you spray febreze it settles, just make sure to stand back from where you are spraying and you will be completely fine. I seriously wouldn't worry about it. Of course I don't recommend things like bleach or anything like that but I think that febreze is fine. Rather than a cleaning product that you would spray and then get close to inhale to scrub away, you do not do that with febreze. I think that a lot of people are so wrapped up in being too careful that they change their daily lives when that is really not needed.
Peytonsmomma and Jinnah like this.

June 15th, 2012, 07:46 AM
SLP83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I personally don't worry about things like that too much. It's not like I touch it when I use it, and I make sure to leave the room for a few minutes after I spray.
michellelove0502 and Jinnah like this.
June 15th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Veteran
I personally dont use stuff like that even when Im not pregnant. It has some nasty stuff in it. Luckily I have grandpa and friend who are both chemists so I ask them about ingredients all the time.

I really like the stuff I get at Zum, I believe their website is Indigo Wild - All Natural Products for Body and Home

I swear by their products and they smell heavenly. they even have items for baby bums
bryan and nina and Jinnah like this.
June 15th, 2012, 01:30 PM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
I like that brand too! They are kinda pricey but their products are all natural and do smell great!
Jinnah likes this.

June 15th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan and nina View Post
I like that brand too! They are kinda pricey but their products are all natural and do smell great!
I buy when they go on sae. I got some of the Zumbo lips which are huge lip balm sticks buy one get one free and if you spent over 25.00 you got a free sample bag that also included a coupon for a free bar of soap ( full size) I spent 75.00 so I got three of the freebies and also bought something from the zum lab and I did the survey to rate how I liked it because its a new product ( all natural deoderant) and got another free bar

I love their soap and its is my guilty pleasure for myself and dry skin. I dont smoke or drink coffee so zum is my lil nice thing I do for myself and it smells so good
Jinnah likes this.
June 15th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Stilettos-N-Sippys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here is a recipe for homemade, all natural "frebreeze"

Homemade natural spray disinfectant | No Ordinary Homestead

June 15th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When I'm pregnant I try to be extra careful around cleaning products. I try not to breathe in strong fumes if there are any and also wash my hands after if I don't use gloves.
Jinnah likes this.
June 15th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Jinnah
The Febreze I used had very few ingredients. I believe it said ethyl alcohol, water, fragrance, and something derived from corn. That's it. I suppose that is safe enough, but I will not use it again... I worry too much. I got it on our carpet and it made the carpet smell like it, so I put down some baking soda and let that sit for awhile. Seems to have absorbed most of the smell.
June 15th, 2012, 07:09 PM
jlstebbins's Avatar *Super*Mega*Mommy*
So do you wear perfume?

Wouldnt it be toxic also?

Or anything that has any smell to it with chemicals? Make-up? Hairspray?

I personally think that if you spray it, dont inhale and just walk away till its dissolved into the air. No harm will happen!
Jinnah likes this.

June 15th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Veteran
just for curiosity I went and read some info on air freshners. Apparantly they can have chemicals in them that are not labled ..

I dont know if all of this is true or valid but thought I would post it. Chemical Sensitivity in Mainstream Medical Documentation: The 80+ Chemical Ingredients in Febreze

I cannot stand the smell of the stuff and it gives me a headache so no matter what it is made of I dont use it
Jinnah likes this.
June 15th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Super Mommy
IMO, anything that warns about and causes respiratory distress is something I do not want used in my home or around me, whether i'm pregnant or not.

If I am in the same room as most cleaners and ANY air treatment products, I go into a full blown asthma attack. To me that speaks for itsself... non-toxic products do NOT produce that sort of effect.
Jinnah likes this.
June 15th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I use it all the time, but with my allergies, it still kills me. However it makes the house and my car smell swell
jlstebbins and Jinnah like this.

June 15th, 2012, 09:33 PM
mommaof4andhalf's Avatar Mighty Midget Minion Mom
Typically, I love febreeze. Sadly I can't use it while pregnant. The smell makes me sick. I have been burning a lot of candles though to make up for it. I can't wait until Dillon is born so I can use it again.
Zukin and Jinnah like this.

-Chrissy. Momma to a teenage girl, a preteen girl, a little girl, and 2 boys. Straight Jacket Bound!!!!
June 15th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Jinnah
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtorileyand View Post
just for curiosity I went and read some info on air freshners. Apparantly they can have chemicals in them that are not labled ..

I dont know if all of this is true or valid but thought I would post it. Chemical Sensitivity in Mainstream Medical Documentation: The 80+ Chemical Ingredients in Febreze

I cannot stand the smell of the stuff and it gives me a headache so no matter what it is made of I dont use it
I saw that last night, but then I looked at the MSDS and it says it's non-toxic, so I got really confused!

http://www.pgpro.com/portals/0/image...s_0509_eng.pdf

On there, it states the ingredients and then says: Febreze is practically nontoxic. If ingested, it may be mildly irritating.

and: California: This product has been evaluated and does not require warning labeling under California Proposition 65.

So if there were toxic ingredients, like the one website said, wouldn't they have to list it on the MSDS? They couldn't possibly say it's non-toxic, right? Also, that website mentioned carcinogens, but if there were, wouldn't it have to be labeled as such accorded to California's Prop 65?

It's soooo confusing to me right now. Do you think it's just the other varieties that have that stuff? I did see one MSDS for a different Febreze that mentioned that it had something in it that is known to the state of Ca. to cause cancer, etc. So, I'm not sure if maybe it's just some. Either way, I definitely won't be using it again!!!

Once it's sprayed and settled, do I still have to worry about exposure to possible chemicals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof4andhalf View Post
Typically, I love febreeze. Sadly I can't use it while pregnant. The smell makes me sick. I have been burning a lot of candles though to make up for it. I can't wait until Dillon is born so I can use it again.
Candles apparently release cancer causing agents. I read that if you like to burn candles, but do not want the chemicals to try 100% soy or beezwax instead.
mommaof4andhalf likes this.
June 15th, 2012, 10:19 PM
I LOVE soy candles. They are wonderful! I honestly didn't know that. Thank you for doing the research for that. <3
Jinnah likes this.

-Chrissy. Momma to a teenage girl, a preteen girl, a little girl, and 2 boys. Straight Jacket Bound!!!!
June 15th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Jinnah
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof4andhalf View Post
I LOVE soy candles. They are wonderful! I honestly didn't know that. Thank you for doing the research for that. <3
No problem! I stumbled across that information a long time ago. Where do you buy your soy candles?

Here is a website that talks about candles: Danger from Everyday Candles? | The Life Holistic
June 15th, 2012, 10:29 PM
I make them myself usually. Sometimes I get lazy and will buy some from random small business owners that advertise on the supply shops facebook page just to try them out.
Jinnah likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search