Lack of movement

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By doremi
  • 1 Post By ride-through

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 23rd, 2012, 07:49 PM
alley's Avatar Veteran
I am 28 weeks today and feel movement once in awhile, but not that often. I am keeping track and so far I'm averaging feeling movement 3 times a day for about 30 minutes or so at a time. Is this enough? I know with my ds I was feeling movement alot more during this time. I have an appointment this Thursday so I will be talking to my dr about this.
July 23rd, 2012, 07:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure how much movement is considered "normal," but I can say that my babies have both been very different as far as movement goes. DS was head down and extremely low for over half my pregnancy. I felt him move, but I didn't realize until this pregnancy that I really hardly felt him move at all. (Also, he was/is perfectly healthy.) People talk about feeling their babies doing flips and twists and kicking them in the ribs - I never had that with my son. This time around, I finally know what people are talking about. This baby is extremely active. I think it has to do with the particular baby, but also the position baby is in. Sometimes I won't feel this little girl much, but if I listen with my doppler I can hear her moving, she's just in a position where I'm not feeling things as clearly.

Having said all that, there is absolutely no harm in bringing it up with your doctor. They want you to voice your concerns rather than sit and worry.
July 23rd, 2012, 08:13 PM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
I had an ultrasound last week at 28 weeks. There were so many movements that I could see on the screen but could not feel at all! So our babies are moving we just can't feel all of it. I think it's a good idea to talk to your dr though..all concerns should be brought up

July 23rd, 2012, 08:34 PM
alley's Avatar Veteran
Thanks!!! I'm at least feeling some movement so I'm not too worried, but would have thought I'd have felt more.
July 23rd, 2012, 11:07 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
My two healthy pregnancies have been ENTIRELY different from each other! With Josiah, I felt movement for the first time at 11 weeks, and he was going nuts in there ALL THE TIME. And guess what? He came out of the womb and has been a non-stop mover ever since! This baby is SO much more mellow. I feel him move a little kick here, a little kick there, and then usually for an hour or two straight late in the evening. The rest of the time, not even a flutter. I can only assume that MAYBE this will be a more laid back baby! Talk it over with your doctor, but I would say that as long as you are feeling SOME movement each day (especially if it is at kind of routine times in the day) that you are most likely growing a healthy little one!
mandattu_02 likes this.

July 23rd, 2012, 11:11 PM
Super Mommy
Baby should typically move 6 times (distinct times - a cluster of movements within a 1-2 minute period is considered one movement) in 2 hours at this stage.

However, if you have not felt much movement throughout the course of your pregnancy to this point, that would be "normal" for you. Where you feel movement and how much movement you feel depends a lot on where your placenta is and how baby is lying... and how much attention you are paying. Babies are lulled to sleep by your movement, so during the day you might not notice as much because baby is happily rocked as you move around. And you might sleep through lots of movements at night.

If you have noticed a marked decrease in movement that does not meet the typical expectations for movement, that is what I would discuss with my doctor. It's important to remember too, though, that as baby gets bigger there is simply less room to move. The sporadic punctuated kicks from the 20-26w period are changed into more pushes and "rolls" which aren't always as noticable since they don't seem as unexpected and sharp. They don't have the room anymore to really get their legs stretched out and deliver a good boot to the uterus.

Overall I wouldn't worry, but if you need a baseline try taking kick counts in the evening for 2 hours. Eat something sugary and lay down on your side or back.
CrunchyChristian likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search