Appointment update

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By CrunchyChristian
  • 1 Post By Tiffany8620
  • 1 Post By *AngieKH*
  • 4 Post By doremi

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2012, 11:41 AM
kristap4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to kristap4
I had my appointment yesterday. My bp is still on the high side, but they didn't seem too concerned about it this time, i didn't gain any weight, which leaves me still down 16lbs from pre-pregnancy which they didn't seem concerned about either. Baby's heart beat was good...

The dr did a 2nd ffn test and it came back negative.... The whole experience was pretty weird though, because when my own dr. did the test, she used the speculum and i could feel the swab and it hurt like heck... This dr. didn't use the speculum or even look. He just took the swab and stuck it in there, left it there while he counted to 10 and took it out... I didn't feel it at all. The whole time i gave the nurse a dirty look and she just shrugged her shoulders at me... So i'm not sure whether to be happy that it was negative or be concerned that he didn't do the test right, since he didn't even look at what he was doing, but i'm still a little worried... They had talked about doing the ffn every 2 weeks but not sure i can handle the roller coaster going positive, negative, positive etc.... But due to the negative result, he took me completely off my bed rest, which worries me because when i do get up, i get a good amount of pressure... I want to be happy with the negative but just have a feeling that it wasn't done right... When i had the ffn with my DS, they also used the speculum and i felt it... Oh and since the test was nagative, they won't give me the steroid shot... i'm kind of frustrated with the whole thing right now and trying not to let it get to me, I just want whats best for Autumn and hate all this back and forth stuff.

Also had my glucose test, and i'm still waiting on the results of that... After seeing the dr. i went and had my cervix check and it looked different than usual to me, and the tech wouldn't answer my questions, so if there is a concern, i'm hoping the dr. will call me, but until then i'm not going to worry about it..

** I also posted this in nov since i am on that board too**
July 26th, 2012, 11:50 AM
CrunchyChristian
GRRR! How frustrating!!! Is there another doctor that would redo the test? I mean, really, when you think about it, YOU'RE paying THEM to do a job and if it wasn't done right you should be able to have it redone!
Mrs.Paradise likes this.
July 26th, 2012, 11:51 AM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
I'm sorry that you are worried about the test he did. I totally get why, but I would hope this is a serious enough test that the doctor would do it correctly. I do agree that it's weird that you felt it last time more than you did yesterday but maybe that's just the different techniques they used?!
I hope your GD test comes back negative; I had mine done yesterday as well! How quickly are you expecting the results? I'm not sure if I should call my midwives tomorrow or just wait until they go over the results with me at the next visit?!

July 26th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hmm. I had the FFN test at 29 weeks with my son due to contractions, but I can't remember if the doctor used the speculum or not. I don't think so. I think she just held it in there...
kristap4 likes this.
July 26th, 2012, 11:57 AM
*AngieKH*'s Avatar Mom of 4
I'd be concerned that it was so different too, but hopefully everything is fine. If it were me, I'd continue to go easy on doing things but try not to worry too much. You can always go in if things start picking up and get checked again. Just be cautious and rest as much as you can.
Mrs.Paradise likes this.

July 26th, 2012, 12:01 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Oh, Krista...I am so frustrated for you! I am no help with the FFN test, but it seems weird that it was so different this time. And I still don't see the harm in giving you the shots!

Maybe the u/s results will help provide answers? I hope so...hang in there!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

July 26th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyChristian View Post
GRRR! How frustrating!!! Is there another doctor that would redo the test? I mean, really, when you think about it, YOU'RE paying THEM to do a job and if it wasn't done right you should be able to have it redone!
From what i understand, the test can only be done every 2 weeks due to irratation and false positives.. And i have an appt with my own dr. in 2 weeks but not sure if she is going to do the ffn or not... I will call on monday to find out for sure because if she is going to then i need to reschedule the cervix u/s because the gel also interferes with the result..
July 26th, 2012, 12:11 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I'm also very frustrated for you!!! As far as the bedrest goes, if your gut is telling you it's not right to be up and about, then stay in bed! I wish you could get the steroid shots just for peace of mind...

July 26th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan and nina View Post
I'm sorry that you are worried about the test he did. I totally get why, but I would hope this is a serious enough test that the doctor would do it correctly. I do agree that it's weird that you felt it last time more than you did yesterday but maybe that's just the different techniques they used?!
I hope your GD test comes back negative; I had mine done yesterday as well! How quickly are you expecting the results? I'm not sure if I should call my midwives tomorrow or just wait until they go over the results with me at the next visit?!
I was too concerned with the ffn i didn't even find out how long the GD test will come back.... I'm not going to worry about it though. The ladies at the lab said they would call if its an issue, so if i don't hear from them by my next appointment i will ask my dr....
July 26th, 2012, 12:28 PM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
Oh ok, good.
I don't understand why they wouldn't give you the steroid shot regardless; seems like just having one positive would warrant it, especially if it does no harm even if you don't need it. Ugh. Sorry again that you are dealing with all this!! They really shouldn't be putting you under that much added stress!

July 26th, 2012, 01:25 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh man, frustrating isn't even the word for it. Can you call your dr. and ask how the test is supposed to be done because it was done differently this time? And I agree that if you're not comfortable coming off bedrest then don't. Its my experience that Mother's intuition is pretty spot on with these kinds of things.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

July 26th, 2012, 01:57 PM
ShutterBabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristap4 View Post
From what i understand, the test can only be done every 2 weeks due to irratation and false positives.. And i have an appt with my own dr. in 2 weeks but not sure if she is going to do the ffn or not... I will call on monday to find out for sure because if she is going to then i need to reschedule the cervix u/s because the gel also interferes with the result..
When I was in L&D last week, they did the ffn test like you said, just stuck it in there, no speculum. But then when I went to OB on tuesday, they did another one, used the speculum and it hurt like heck too. I thought they said it could only be done every 2 weeks as well, but according to my doc, I will have one next week too.. so thats 3 weeks in a row of ffns. Technically, i thought the results were good for 2 weeks...

Weird about them not giving you the steroid shots. I had to go back a second day to get round two, but I didn't have a choice. my OB ordered it when she sent me over to L&D

Last edited by ShutterBabe; July 26th, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
July 26th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Mrs.Paradise's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
that is sooooooooooooooooo frustrating... Im sorry Krista... not fun at all! I would tell my doctor I only want him/her to do it! so its done the same way every time so you get the correct results every time!
July 26th, 2012, 03:36 PM
October 2012 DDC co-host
aRGH! I'm so sorry Krista! This has got to be EXTREMELY Frustrating for you! Ok, so you've had ALL but ONE Of your babies REALLY early and they won't give you the stupid injection?!? I do NOT get it Are they giving you a reason at all? I would surely ask them what the reason is....GEE WIZ! I'm glad everything looks pretty good for now, although I'd be a little worried about that FFN test being done correctly also. Can you just stay on bed rest for now until you see YOUR doctor?

July 26th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsandstripes View Post
aRGH! I'm so sorry Krista! This has got to be EXTREMELY Frustrating for you! Ok, so you've had ALL but ONE Of your babies REALLY early and they won't give you the stupid injection?!? I do NOT get it Are they giving you a reason at all? I would surely ask them what the reason is....GEE WIZ! I'm glad everything looks pretty good for now, although I'd be a little worried about that FFN test being done correctly also. Can you just stay on bed rest for now until you see YOUR doctor?
All they keep telling me about the steroid is that i don't need it at this time.... They know all about my previous preemies and my history. And every time i see them i bring it up and its always the same thing, no matter who i talk to... They feel that since i am getting the weekly progesterone shot that at the moment i don't need the steroid.

I don't get it either and i'm almost tempted to switch doctors, but being high risk, i'm afraid to this late in the game. Plus this dr. came highly recommended by numerous people.... Its very frustrating how each dr. does things so differently, and i know tests can be done differently so i hate to cause a fuss, but i also gotta look out for my own baby.... I just wish there was a way for me to get the u/s before i see the dr. without it interfering with the test results... That way i can get my cervix measurement too... I see the nurse on wed, and if i can't get any answers on the phone i will talk to her when i see her... She is the head nurse (or whatever they are called) and if she doesn't have an answer she will find out for me and sometimes i trust her more then some of the doctors.... I am trying not to stress too much but i just can't help it........ and the whole bed rest thing, i am trying to still take it easy but my husband does expect more since the dr. took me off. His thinking is that if it was dangerous for me to be up and about, then the dr. would have kept me on bedrest....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search