First cloth diaper covers!!! And a Q for cloth diapering mommas

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes
  • 4 Post By bryan and nina
  • 1 Post By starsandstripes
  • 2 Post By AltMommy
  • 1 Post By delaney24
  • 1 Post By ShutterBabe
  • 2 Post By Pageturner
  • 1 Post By LucilleTwo
  • 1 Post By bostoncreampie
  • 1 Post By CrunchyChristian

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2012, 03:11 PM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
Ok, I know this is a silly thing to create a post about but I am seriously thrilled to have our very first set of cloth diaper covers!
This is me when I opened up the package today ------>

We got them as a gift from Bryan's good friend and his wife. Bryan and him have been working on r.c helis a lot recently and I guess Bryan must have mentioned our Amazon Registry.
Now, I just thought of something that I haven't even considered yet! (See, now what if that happens when she's here and I find myself lacking in something seriously vital to this whole "raising a baby" process?? )
Those of you who cloth diaper, what do you use for wipes?? Yeah, I haven't even considered that! Isn't that terrible? Do you use the regular, disposable "pampers" wipes, or is there a better/ different option?

Last edited by bryan and nina; July 26th, 2012 at 03:13 PM.
July 26th, 2012, 03:17 PM
starsandstripes's Avatar October 2012 DDC co-host
EEEEEkkkkkk!!! Those ar eSO CUTE Nina!
bryan and nina likes this.

July 26th, 2012, 03:30 PM
AltMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I want to cloth diaper so bad! But i think I've chosen not to. I'm stressed enough as it is trying to get everything else for Ares, lol!

Those are freakin adorable by the way! I've heard of people using disposable wipes as well as cloth wipes. It just depends on what you're comfortable with and what works best for you.

Although, I've heard cloth wipes actually work a lot better. And You can just use little squares of flannel and then throw em in the wash.

bryan and nina and jlstebbins like this.

July 26th, 2012, 03:38 PM
delaney24's Avatar Super Mommy
You can use disposable wipes, but if you are cloth diapering it is probably just as easy to use cloth wipes & throw them in with the diapers because you will be washing the diapers anyhow; that is what we intend to do

You can buy cloth wipes, or make them from scraps of flannel as Leanna mentioned. I am a cloth diaper newbie too, but obviously you will want something to moisten them, like a spray or keep them in a wipe warmer.

For the first month I plan to just use cotton squares with warm water.
July 26th, 2012, 03:41 PM
ShutterBabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i hated cloth wipes, and we do 100% cloth diapering... maybe i just haven't found good wipes or a way to do it. love the tree cover though

July 26th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Pageturner
I'm using cloth wipes. I'm getting a wipes warmer, and making my own wipes solution using water and tea tree oil. You can just throw them right in the laundry with the diapers :-) I would advise getting a travel case to carry them in when you are on the go, and always remember to bring a wet bag too, when you are out and about.

To respond to AltMommy, if you really want to cloth diaper, you can get all-in-ones. nickisdiapers.com has AIOs that are pretty inexpensive, and the pocket diapers are almost as easy and they are only 10 bucks. I just know how much less expensive it is to cloth diaper, so don't give up if you really want to do it!
July 26th, 2012, 04:12 PM
LucilleTwo's Avatar Andrea, mama to L & E
Ooooh!! I love the blackbird cover (we have one .) We used cloth wipes. I just went and bought a ton of cheap wash cloths. I am going to make some flannel wipes for this one though since I have a rubbermaid bin full of flannel

July 26th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Awesome! Thanks for all the input.

July 26th, 2012, 04:33 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
We always used disposable wipes because they are more convenient, but this time we are doing cloth wipes. Amazon has a big selection, and I believe California baby makes a good solution, you can use a spay bottle or store them in solution in a regular wipe bag.
July 26th, 2012, 04:44 PM
I just started looking on Etsy and there are some cute flannel ones on there! Like these:
Diaper Wipes/Flannel Washcloths/Cloth Diaper by IntrovertCreations

Maybe I'll get some of those. I'll check out amazon as well! Thanks.

July 26th, 2012, 05:01 PM
CrunchyChristian
Those are so cute!!! And it's not silly to start a thread about your diapers. I get so HAPPY when I get cloth diapering stuff in the mail. I was going to wait to get all of my stash and then post pics of mine.

And yes, we do cloth wipes. I use some from Green Mountain Diapers.

AltMommy, you could also just do prefolds and covers, nothing fancy and it's cheaper than the pockets, AIO's, etc.
July 26th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Thanks. I can't wait to see your stash!!! I have prefolds on our registry from GMD; I'll check out their wipes. Thanks for sharing that.

July 26th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Brand new Mommy here!!!
One idea that I read somewhere is to take some receiving blankets and cut them up to use for wipes. Expecting mamas are usually given them in excess as gifts anyway and most people don't even end up using them. If this is the case for me, I will probably do it.

July 26th, 2012, 05:33 PM
CrunchyChristian
Just to warn you...when I cut up receiving blankets, they always frayed in the washer, so if you can serge them or have someone serge them maybe do that. I did just cut off the strings every time, but it was kind of annoying. Maybe I just had crappy blankets...
July 26th, 2012, 05:43 PM
1InSummerland's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love the blackbird cover. I had it on my registry but Target keeps changing around their CD stock...

As far as wipes, I plan to buy some cloth wipes and make some. Since I'll be washing diapers, it'll be easy to just toss the wipes in with them and then that's one less thing I'll have to worry about.

Thank you, Bokkechick, for my beautiful siggy.
Group Leader for Face2 Face Fort Lee and Richmond Area.
Check out my blog! :-) and my blog for Jude.

July 26th, 2012, 06:10 PM
mom2xander's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2xander Send a message via Yahoo to mom2xander Send a message via Skype™ to mom2xander
Cloth wipes. And a lot of doctors will tell you with a diaper rash to use wash cloths, which are the same idea as cloth wipes anyway. They are softer on baby's butt, and don't have the stinging alcohol like disposables. I'm using Honest brand disposables (no harsh chemicals, as close as you can get to cloth diapers without using them) for the first 3-6 months until I can really build up a good stash and he fits in one-size, but even during that time I will probably use cloth wipes.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search