Spinal advice from BTDT moms

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By yashobo

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 18th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Veteran
I had my 36+ appt monday and I found out they nomrally do spinals VS Epidurals for scheduled c sections. I have since found out that is the norm. I had an epidural with DS 13+ years ago and was fine. For some reason this new little twist has me freaking out! The benefits are clear but my cousin said when she had hers all she could move was her eyes.

I cannot get that out of my head. Just lying on the table and not being able to tell someone if I am freaking out is scaring me. Some who have had it have felt like they couldnt breathe or feel themselves breathe. UGH

Any BTDT moms or surgery of any kind that have had a spinal that have any advice, good vibes etc? Im so nervous now
September 18th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't know what she's talking about. I had a spinal with my section 5 1/2 years ago and it was fine. I believe the insertion is similar to an epidural. They gave me a numbing shot first and had me sit up with my back curled. It took less than a minute or so. You do go numb quickly, so they had to lay me down. I held my baby within 30 minutes after the surgery. Could feel everything chest and above. Talked and laughed with nurses and dh the whole time. It really wasn't a big deal, but I don't have anything to compare it to. Hope that helps ease your mind!

September 18th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
I had 2 c-sections both with a spinal. I was numb from just under my boobs down to my toes. I could move my arms/hands/fingers, my head, I could feel my chest. It was not bad at all. I did think it hurt (more of pressure) actually getting the spinal though but I quickly forgot about that as it's super quick and over and done with. And I could breathe just fine. I didn't feel like there was a weight on my chest or anything like that.

*** I don't have anything to compare it to as well..never had an epidural

Last edited by Summerdays12; September 18th, 2012 at 02:05 PM.
September 18th, 2012, 02:21 PM
jessica1981's Avatar Regular
I had one with dd and like the pp's I was only numb from the bottom of my chest down. The only thing I didn't like was the pain meds they put in the spinal made me very nauseous and I was pretty sick for a few hours after.
dd Jacqueline 4

September 18th, 2012, 02:42 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I had epi AND spinal for Josiah's birth. The spinal should only numb from mid-chest, down if inserted correctly. I think what your SIL experienced was the result of a bad placement of the spinal, definitely NOT the norm.

September 18th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Veteran
Thanks Ladies I guess I am partly nervous just because I thought I was getting an Epi . My Dr said it is better, I wont feel the tugging etc and wear off quicker so I will feel better quicker etc. He also said the hole is smaller so less pain and chance for issues. I just knew I couldnt handle not being able to " move" I know I wont be dancing on the table , but I hate laying flat and not seeing what is going on anyways, so the thought of not being able to talk, move my head etc was making me so nervous. Thanks for the support and info. This mama doesnt need anything else to worry about Im ready to go .. 19 days
September 18th, 2012, 03:33 PM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also got a spinal. My experience was similar to marybethsmom. It was positive overall.
momtorileyand likes this.

Sisters, friends forever
September 18th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica1981 View Post
I had one with dd and like the pp's I was only numb from the bottom of my chest down. The only thing I didn't like was the pain meds they put in the spinal made me very nauseous and I was pretty sick for a few hours after.
I guarantee you I will vomit lol. Even when I was put under twilight sleep I got sick. Every time I have any form of anesthsia I do... thanks for the warning
September 18th, 2012, 06:27 PM
jessjillmama's Avatar ***Staying Positive***
I had a spinal with my DD. It didn't hurt at all when they put it in. I will have to say though I did sort of freak out. I didn't know it would make me feel like I couldn't breath. I couldn't talk. I could say yes or no with moving my head. I was fine though it was just sort of scary at first. I guess I wasn't prepared for how it would feel. This time around I am going to be more prepared but I am still nervous about it.
Ava Sept 14th 2007, Beaux Oct 3rd 2012
* Tubal reversal December 17th 2010

September 18th, 2012, 07:10 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
If I were having surgery, I would rather have a spinal. I had an epidural with my first child and my body didn't take it well so I could feel a lot. I can't imagine feeling a surgery, yikes!
September 19th, 2012, 12:55 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
^^That is exactly why I want the spinal. One of my biggest fears going into c/s with Josiah was that I would feel the cutting. Since I already had been given an epi towards the end of my labor, they simply restarted it. The OB tested for feeling with a pair of forceps, pinching my abdomen, and I could feel everything. I was SO freaked out! That is when they sat me back up and gave me a spinal. Definitely the way to go with a c/s.

September 19th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Veteran
With my first three I went natural because they were all premies and I was told they would respond better/go home quicker if I went natural and they didn't have the drugs in their systems. With my 4th I did a spinal and like most of the pp's I was only numb from midchest down. It worked really fast, but it does wear off fast as well. (I think they told me 2 hours is all the longer it lasts, which was fine because I gave birth within an hour of having it.)

My only draw back is that one of the side effects is that it can make you itchy, really bad. Mine did this, but I never was sick to my stomach like some other people have mentioned. When I mentioned that I was itchy to my nurse she said it was really common with a spinal and she would bring something in to help with that. She forgot to tell me that it would knock me out!!! I don't remember what she gave me, but I was sound asleep and the doctor was shaking me awake trying to get me to push out the baby. I was super groggy during the entire delivery. I had an epidural with my next baby--not a good experience--and I would take the spinal over the epidural any day.
Good luck. I hope it goes well for you.

September 19th, 2012, 10:55 AM
mandattu_02's Avatar Mom to 2 beautiful babies
I had both with Ryan. I got the epidural when I was laboring/pushing with him and it did not take effect at all. When I ended up going back for the c-section, they topped it off with a spinal. I was terrified that I was going to feel the cut since the epidural didn't work, but I did not feel a thing. I was only numb from the chest down. It does feel a little weird at first, but you get used to it. I could still feel my arms, boobs, face, etc and I was back moving my legs & lifting them off the bed by the time I got to recovery. The meds they use in the spinals these days (DuraMorph) do make you pretty itchy (mainly your nose/face), but they work a ton better. Occasionally they'll make you nauseated or sick, but I was lucky enough not to experience that.

**Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!**

September 19th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjillmama View Post
I had a spinal with my DD. It didn't hurt at all when they put it in. I will have to say though I did sort of freak out. I didn't know it would make me feel like I couldn't breath. I couldn't talk. I could say yes or no with moving my head. I was fine though it was just sort of scary at first. I guess I wasn't prepared for how it would feel. This time around I am going to be more prepared but I am still nervous about it.
that is freaky! Im so nervousd about that happening. then again after several crotch shots and ice pick like feelings in my hoo ha/clitoris region last night it reminded me why i need to get her out of there. Not so fun

Wow I must be the odd man out for the EPI. I have no issues with it at all and didnt feel a thing. Maybe that means my luck will be good for the Spinal

I have such sensitive skin, cant do the tape or mesh underware and I cant wear any underware or bras with exposed elastic so Im sure Im predisposed for the itching. I will mentally prepare myself. If I know it could happen it isnt so bad as a suprise.
September 19th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to momopotamus Send a message via MSN to momopotamus
Ive had the spinal with both of my c-sections with not many issues. Like the others experienced, I was also numb from about right around my boobs, downward and it wore off maybe 4-6 hours later. The biggest difference with mine, is what they put in it!! With my son I had no idea what they put in there, just drug me up and call it a day lol. With my daughter, I had a MUCH better experience, as I declined to have the Astromorph in the spinal. Its morphine and lasts for about 24 hours, whether you have a reaction to it or not.. I didnt feel nearly as sick from the anesthesia, and I was alert and NOT super groggy for the entire first day with the baby. They just gave me IV pain meds, and that was just fine. I will ask not to have it again this time, I felt like I was able to remember everything and like i was actually "there" instead of being so loopy afterwards.

TTC #4 since 9/2013 150mg Clomid BFP 5/22/14! Stick Bean Stick!
We have a heartbeat :-) EDD 1/30/15! It's A Girl!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search