Advice for BFing Mamas

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes
  • 6 Post By summithorse
  • 1 Post By abur
  • 2 Post By yashobo
  • 1 Post By doremi
  • 1 Post By zubeldia

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Veteran
Hi Ladies,
It seems that there are a lot of FT mamas that are planning on exclusively breastfeeding - AWESOME! I just wanted to share a tip from my experience with DD (now 3). Hopefully it will help someone!

DD was a tiny thing when she was born full term, only 5 lb, 12 oz. We don't have big people in our family, almost everyone is under 5'5" on both sides of the family, so her being petite didn't concern us in the least. I started out using a doctor who had been my GP as DD's pediatrician, and it soon became clear that pediatrics weren't her thing.

Everytime I would take DD in, she was gaining well, but has never been on the "percentile" charts. She was, however, eating and sleeping well and reaching all of her other milestones. The doctor kept bothering me about getting her tested, wanted me to quit BFing and use formula to make her gain, and started talking about steroids and growth hormones. It seemed like it was her mission to scare the crap out of me as a FTM, but I wasn't having any of it.

I did some research, and found out that the growth charts used in the US are made by the FORMULA COMPANIES! I told this to my Dr, and she argued that it wasn't true, pulled a chart out to show me, and lo and behold, ENFAMIL is printed in huge letters at the bottom! Haha!

Needless to say, I switched to a pediatrician that didn't have an agenda. I also found out if you google growth charts from WHO (World Health Organization), your exclusively breastfed baby is more likely to be in the middle of the growth curve, since other countries BF more than the US. On those charts, DD is just fine.

I just wanted to share. Not that you should ignore a problem, but I KNEW DD being petite was not a problem and I refused to be bullied. Just because you are a first-timer doesn't mean you don't know what you're doing.

I hope this helps someone, I would hate for someone's dreams of BFing get ruined because of poor information or bullying.
**Jenn**, zubeldia, Lav and 3 others like this.
September 19th, 2012, 03:54 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Fantastic information. Thanks!
September 19th, 2012, 03:59 PM
abur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you for this! I definitely trust WHO more than I trust Enfamil
summithorse likes this.
#2 EDD: 10/05/2014

September 19th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Veteran
BTW, I successfully BFd for a year and she never had a drop of formula and she's healthy as a horse!
September 19th, 2012, 06:24 PM
LoverlyJules's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing!

September 19th, 2012, 06:31 PM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good info. Most breastfed babies are definitely on the smaller side compared to their formula-fed counterparts but it doesn't make them less healthier. Mine too had just breastmilk for 13 months and is still small for her 3 years of age but she is healthy and my ped never stressed her percentile. She often fell midway but there was a time she was like 25th percentile. As long as I knew she was eating well, I was not bothered by her ranking.
summithorse and cuatx like this.

Sisters, friends forever
September 20th, 2012, 12:44 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Yep, important info for sure! BF'd babies typically start out chunkier than formula fed babies, but then get leaner as they near and surpass the 1 year mark. Also, keep in mind that it is whether they stay at or near the same percentiles throughout childhood for height and weight that matters the most! More than the actual number.
Lav likes this.

September 20th, 2012, 01:20 AM
AltMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a couple of friends (also young mother's) who have completely given up breastfeeding and switched to formula for this very reason. Their doctor's convinced them that they weren't producing enough milk, the babies needs weren't being met, that they needed to supplement with formula, etc.

I feel bad for all of these women who are misled into thinking there is something wrong with themselves! I tried convincing my friends to keep working at breastfeeding at that eventually they would establish a good routine and that their milk production was just fine! But of course they didn't listen to me.

I just can't believe that doctor's are recommending switching to formula BEFORE a good breastfeeding relationship has even had time to blossom. Both of my friend's babies were only a few weeks when they switched! Ugh.

Great info to know! Thanks

September 20th, 2012, 04:18 AM
Pageturner
This is good to know . Ty .
September 20th, 2012, 05:18 AM
zubeldia's Avatar Super Mommy
Great advice!

I also hear a lot about the need to supplement because someone's supply is low. This is rarely accurate, apparently, and supplementing can actually be the cause of an under supply issue.
summithorse likes this.

rafi and charlie by zubeldia36, on Flickr
September 20th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuatx View Post
Excellent consideration! It's amazing the amount of information that is tainted in the doctor's office from special interest sources. It makes it hard to find unbiased, credible advice, particularly with nutrition!!!, from medical professionals.

The bottom line is, the companies who are willing to give financial support or provide products and equipment to the office usually get a priority position when it comes to recommendations. It's terrible!
yep, money rules the world. It's very sad when it comes to the health care system.

... thanks for the info!! It's really good to know, and one more thing I can bring up at our pediatrician interview on Oct. 1! I'll get his opinion on it before I settle for a doctor for my child. It's that easy. You don't see it my way? You try to give me BS, well guess what, you ain't gonna care for my baby.

my little love bug Savina Celestiale arrived 10/16/12 measuring 6lb 5oz, 20 inches

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search