Coping with pre-labour

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By bostoncreampie
  • 2 Post By abur
  • 1 Post By zubeldia
  • 1 Post By JillN31
  • 1 Post By yashobo
  • 1 Post By JillMama
  • 1 Post By JillN31
  • 1 Post By bostoncreampie
  • 2 Post By zubeldia
  • 2 Post By AltMommy
  • 1 Post By zubeldia
  • 1 Post By ShawnaCAN

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2012, 06:12 PM
zubeldia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey all,

Tomorrow will mark 37 weeks! I'll officially be term, which is a major relief given all the preterm labor I've been experiencing and the consequential bed rest.

This past few days the cramping has really, really intensified, and while I did ask my midwife to check me today and I have dilated a bit, mostly it's now annoying prodromal labour that can last for WEEKS. I didn't have this with my first son and it's a bit misery making. I'm in no rush for this little guy to come and I'd much prefer he come closer to 39/40 weeks rather than 37 weeks given all the development that happens in these latter weeks and days.

The question I have is how are people coping with this? I have been up most of the night for the past few nights and I'm feeling very tired. I'm in the enviable position, probably, of being off of work (midwife signed me out when the preterm stuff began at 30 weeks) and my 3 year old is in nursery and preschool 4 days away (we upped it because I was on bed rest and now we're having him stay the extra time until the baby arrives so that we have more coverage come labour day). But I am still a bit miserable and yesterday I felt like I was coming down with the flu and actually felt depressed.

My midwife today suggested a glass of wine, Tylenol, and a bath before bed every night.

What are you lot doing? And what is helping with these final weeks and days?

I did get out for a 2 mile walk in the autumnal sunshine today, and that also helped lift my spirits, even though it wasn't a super comfy walk!

rafi and charlie by zubeldia36, on Flickr
September 19th, 2012, 06:18 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
wow you are getting so close!!!

like i said in my other post, i am lowering my mommy expectations. i'm also taking bathes, tylenol if needed (though it doesn't help...) and i've let my husband understand that i need more help and need to do less around the house.

i'm guessing your guy will be here very soon. i hope you find relief sooner than later.
zubeldia likes this.
September 19th, 2012, 06:20 PM
abur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I say take what your midwife suggested and run with it That sounds wonderful!! A bath is what usually makes me feel better, so I don't really have any other suggestions than that. I hope you figure out something to help you cope!!!
zubeldia and JillMama like this.
#2 EDD: 10/05/2014

September 19th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Thanks, K. It helps to know I'm not alone! Fortunately when my DS comes homes he likes to snuggle and is happy for me to lie on the bed in his room while he plays with his trains and we chat about his day. Yesterday I was really struggling with the exhaustion, I suppose, and feeling low because of it (which is honestly not really like me).

I could always work on re-packig my bags in the middle of the night if I'm up again
abur likes this.

September 19th, 2012, 06:25 PM
JillN31's Avatar Veteran
I tend to get down/anxious when I'm sleep deprived so I'm sure that is part of the reason you aren't feeling so hot.
I had prodromal labor every single night for ten nights before I finally had the real deal with my second son. It was miserable. I didn't sleep well the first few nights but I eventuall learned how to sleep through the contractions. I would occasionally wake up but I would just roll right over and go back to sleep. The last night I was so depressed that I just cried, he came the next day Hang in there, in won't last forever (even though it feels like it right now!)
zubeldia likes this.

Brady James, Sullivan Thomas, and our newest addition Colin Robert born 10/10/12.
September 19th, 2012, 06:25 PM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aaaww, sorry the last few days are kicking your butt; kicking mine too but mine doesn't happen everyday. Nights when I can't sleep I just lay there and wonder whether baby is coming that night. By morning contractions are gone and seems like nothing ever happened. I often try to make up with a nap during the day. 5 days out of 7 I am taking an afternoon nap now Hang in there; what is left is minute compared to what we've completed.
zubeldia likes this.

Sisters, friends forever
September 19th, 2012, 06:27 PM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I' sorry your having a rough time
zubeldia likes this.

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
September 19th, 2012, 06:28 PM
JillN31's Avatar Veteran
Also, I had a couple of nights of insomnia last week. I called my OB to see if I could take anything and he suggested tylenol PM. I don't normally like to take any meds but I was desperate for sleep. It knocked me out and I felt like myself the next day.
zubeldia likes this.

Brady James, Sullivan Thomas, and our newest addition Colin Robert born 10/10/12.
September 19th, 2012, 06:29 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
could you try unisom before bed? i took it all thru the first trimester for nausea and it really knocked me out. it might help you sleep better?
zubeldia likes this.
September 19th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Thanks, Abur! I cracked open a bottle of Pinot Grigio

I LOVE my midwife

Thanks, everyone!

She did suggest Tylenol PM, too, to see if it took the edge of the contractions/cramping so I could sleep through them. I'll try that if things don't improve.

And the unisom is a great idea. I have taken it before in an attempt to help with nausea but it didn't help with that, sadly.

This has been one tough pregnancy, but we're all so close to meeting these little ones! It's all so worth it
bostoncreampie and abur like this.

September 19th, 2012, 07:35 PM
kristap4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to kristap4
I am right there with you and get 2 hours of broken sleep a night if I'm lucky and it is becoming a struggle to function because I'm so tired. I do get a nap most days but I still struggle. Hang on there we are all so close
September 19th, 2012, 09:21 PM
delaney24's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm in the same boat too. Contractions 10 minutes apart...none of which are really painful though, thankfully, but all of which I feel...and not sleeping because he grinds his head against my cervix & also because I have to pee every 20 frickin minutes. Ahem.

I have been full on pampering myself, so that's my only suggestion. Manicures, pedicures, give yourself a foot rub...soak your feet in a tub while watching a movie. Not very helpful I know, but it's all I've been doing. And warm milk before bed lol.

I don't think you can go wrong with a glass of wine though. I may join you this evening.
September 19th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Super Mommy
I think I have been having a hard time trying to distract myself from the cramping when it happens. I really would love this little one to stay put (we're at 35 weeks) and I have another two weeks of work before I can take a break. Our ideal is that we would get just even one week together after I finish work before the little one gets here..we'll see though! I've been trying the baths and been doing lots of jobs that keep me moving and engaged in tasks..I think I have reorganized the closet about as many times as possible now lol. Also I'm just trying not to over think it - I worry as a FTM I might be over aware of the twinges and cramps and they could just be par for the course for this time.
Hope you feel better soon..and that's really cute that your son will chat to you about his day while you rest up, he's going to be an awesome big bro! :-)
September 20th, 2012, 12:26 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I'm having a rough time with the contractions too. Fortunately, I sleep okay at night, but during the day it is so frustrating, because I feel like every time I am on my feet, it is causing contractions. Looking forward to having this baby in my arms and being done with the pregnancy part!

September 20th, 2012, 01:27 AM
AltMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm going through the same thing! Hypnobabies has helped so much. Most nights I just lay in bed with a heating pad and practice using my light switch and my cues like "peace, relax, release, etc." Or I'll just fall asleep listening to my deepening track since that seems to be the one that really knocks me out the fastest and really helps me feel like I can drift away from the contractions and cramps.

You are getting so close! You can do it, you've made it this far!!
bostoncreampie and zubeldia like this.

September 20th, 2012, 03:42 AM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
I am so sorry that you are feeling rough! Hopefully the gladd of wine will help you relax and get a decent night's sleep. I know how horrible that makes the next day when you can't get enough sleep! I do find that a walk in the evening really helps me sleep. Right now it's finally cooling down nicely (50s at night) so an evening walk is very enjoyable. I sure hope you don't have to suffer through this much longer! Like you said, we are almost there! Few more weeks at the most.

September 20th, 2012, 05:21 AM
Thanks, everyone. I think the wine and bath definitely helped

No terrible cramping and backache until around 5am, and although it took me a long time to get to sleep it was great not to be awoken by cramps every few minutes.. just lots of bathroom breaks!

I can't believe that I've made it to term!
bostoncreampie likes this.

September 20th, 2012, 06:54 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lots of sympathy! I've had prodomal labour with my last 3 and it's just SOOO frustrating and depressing.

I'm spending a lot of time in the tub these days and my hot water bottle has been my best friend with previous pregnancies! The other thing that really helps is drinking lots of water. Being even a little dehydrated makes your uterus extra cranky, so when you're feeling crampy try having 2 really big glasses of water. I usually notice that the cramping subsides within about 30 minutes of doing that.
zubeldia likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search