Vitamin K Question

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By bostoncreampie
  • 1 Post By **Jenn**

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 20th, 2012, 04:33 AM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
I know we have talked about this a bit before but I wanted to go over it again since I am really torn as to what to do. It seems like this is one of those topics where no matter what you read, there are strong sides for as well as against it.

After reading about it for a while now I THINK we would rather decline the shot. But altogether forgoing Vit K doesn't seem safe either. I did read you can give the oral drops, which is a smaller and more gradual dosage. Is anyone here doing that? Care to share what dosage/ brand, etc you are going with?

Then I read you (as the mom) can also take Vit K supplements and it will come through in the breast milk, passing it along to the baby. Taking it during pregnancy seems to have no impact on the baby's Vitamin K levels at birth though, strangely enough. So if I do the drops, should I still take Vit K myself as well?

Thanks for any input, as always!!

September 20th, 2012, 07:15 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I am starting to take alfalfa leaf supplements today, which are very high in vitamin K. I am doing this because it can help with clotting and bleeding PP. And a lot of it will transmit to the baby.

I will decline the K since she will not be getting circed. If there is trauma during labor, I will probably do the K.

The pills I am using are these, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

It says to take 2 pills up to 3 times a day. I will do that dosage if I can stomach it.
September 20th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi Nina,

my midwife discussed this very much with me and she gave me a paper with all important information about Vit K and I need to sign it with my decision.

Basically this is the dosage if you do oral (which we have decided to do):

Either:

3 oral doses regimen: 2mg at birth, 2mg between 3-7 days, 2mg between 5-6 weeks (my midwife suggests to do this one)

Or:

weekly oral dose regimen: 2mg at birth, 1mg weekly for 12 weeks

Or:

daily oral dose regimen: 1mg at birth, 25-50 ug (not sure how else to spell it) daily for 13 weeks.

If you want I can try to send along the information sheet to you. I can also point you to the website my midwife sent me to order the Vit K liquid. It's around 30 dollars.

I will also be starting on chlorophyl (as my midwife asked me to) for my blood clotting.

my little love bug Savina Celestiale arrived 10/16/12 measuring 6lb 5oz, 20 inches
September 20th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Jinnah
I've never heard this before... what is wrong with vitamin K?!
September 20th, 2012, 07:43 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinnah View Post
I've never heard this before... what is wrong with vitamin K?!
Vitamin K at Birth: To Inject or Not
September 20th, 2012, 07:58 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We use the oral drops, but I'm sorry! I can't remember how much. My MW is bringing those along with her when she comes.
September 20th, 2012, 08:12 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto Kristen word for word
Mrs.Paradise likes this.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

September 20th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Peytonsmomma
we are doing vitamin k, in fact we do every vaccine except the the flu shot
September 20th, 2012, 09:29 AM
zubeldia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is one I am very on the fence about, honestly. We're not doing the hep shot or the eye gloop but we've provisionally planned on this one.. Thanks for the link, K. I'm finding it difficult to get good info on it.

rafi and charlie by zubeldia36, on Flickr
September 20th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I had no idea about this. The other 2 had it and planned on this one. Never even knew there was an issue.

September 20th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Veteran
Ive reasearched this a lot and have decided not to do the shot, unless something traumatic happens during the birth. From what I have read almost no Vitamin K is transferred to baby while still in the womb, but afterward if mom has eaten alot of vitamin k rich foods, taken supplements and breatsfeeds that a small amount can transfer..

Also most of my research points to the fact that one of the reasons that the injection is 20,000 times more than what baby needs is becayse their digestive tract does not yet have the flora to break down and use vitamin k, so its basically no going to have any effect until after 8 days.

You can order it in an all natural state from Birth Kits, Midwifery, Birth Supplies and More..

Sine I have having a c section I keep drilling hubby on what baby is not supposed to have that way he can watch the nurses. They are so used to doing the shot, hep b and the eye goop. I have it written in my chart that I am to bring to the hospital but Ive warned him several times.
September 20th, 2012, 11:18 AM
AltMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I won't be doing it either

Just doesn't seem necessary with a natural, normal birth. I do think I'll look into what Kristen mentioned though! Since I also have anemia the bleeding thing has been a concern of mine.

September 20th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
momtorileyand, this is exactly the link my midwife gave me for the liquid vit K

my little love bug Savina Celestiale arrived 10/16/12 measuring 6lb 5oz, 20 inches
September 20th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Peytonsmomma
if i remember correctly i had to use vitamin k drops afterwards
September 20th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Super Mommy
We took a baby care class the other night and this came up. The teacher who is an experienced midwife and doula said that obviously it is a personal family decision, but the risk they see is if you are planning to exclusively formula feed because formula already has a high dose of VitK so then you would be double dosing and it can be hard for the baby to process and cause problems potentially down the road. For those of us breastfeeding she said that there is less of a risk in giving the VitK to the baby. We will probably okay that one because of my VitK levels, but not the eye cream or the HepB.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search