Pics of my (almost completed) cloth diaper stash

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree27Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 20th, 2012, 01:45 PM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
I got my GMD order in today; another 12 newborn size prefolds and 24 small size prefolds and one thirsties duo cover.

On the left are the 12 newborn prefolds that I already prepped. Under the snappies are the 30 OsoCozy wipes; to their right is a mix of cloth-eez wipes and seconds from cottonbabies.com.

Donner likes the stash!!

Covers, from top left: 2 bumgenius AIOs, 3 thirsties duo, 3 flips covers

It feels nice to finally have everything essential for her diapering needs on hand! I'll probably prep the 3 packs of wipes the week after next, when I'm done with work! Oh, the one thing I do still want to order is some hemp prefolds; they are supposed to be super absorbent and good for night time use.
BabyKicks Hemparoo Fleece Prefolds, Cloth Diaper, FREE SHIPPING, Sweetbottoms Baby Boutique, Baby Store

Last edited by bryan and nina; September 20th, 2012 at 01:48 PM.
September 20th, 2012, 01:49 PM
AltMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awesome! Totally jealous
bryan and nina likes this.

September 20th, 2012, 01:57 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
love love love! she is going to look so cute with her big fluffy butt!

i was going to buy 30 wipes too, but a friend gave me some prefolds so i am going to start cloth diapering sam while i'm at it, how many wipes do you think i should get?
September 20th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Pageturner
Nice! I think i'm going to buy some more covers, the people at the store said 3 was enough but just in case he has explosive poops or something, i'd feel better with more!
September 20th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Mrs.Paradise's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
looks GREAT!!!
September 20th, 2012, 02:56 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Very nice stash! I still have mine from when I cloth diapered Lochy--they're all bigger though. Its nice to have as a back up just in case when she gets older. I used hemp doublers for night time/nap time and they were great for the extra absorbancy.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

September 20th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Thanks girls!!!

Kristen, I honestly don't know! lol. I've never done this before, obviously, but I figured wipes would be handy because I could use them as doublers or liner,...They seem like they are the perfect size, if you fold the osocozy ones in half. The cloth-eez are already perfectly sized!
Another thing I will have to experiment with is how I "like" the thickness of the wipes. The square osocozy ones are a LOT thinner than the cloth-eez ones. Right now (without having used either), I think I will like the osocozy ones better, since I can feel what I'm doing better. lol. And if I need them thicker, I can always fold them in half, you know?
Ebay has a really good buy on them, if you are interested ($18 w/ free shipping for 30 wipes!):
30 OsoCozy Unbleached 100% Cotton Flannel Cloth Baby Wipes- FREE SHIPPING!! | eBay

Sorry that isn't very helpful, but without having used either I don't know which I like better or even how many we will need! lol.

September 20th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Are you using a wipe warmer? I was looking at some today on amazon, I've never used a warmer but it seems like a good way to store the wipes.
September 20th, 2012, 04:39 PM
CrunchyChristian
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenpie View Post
Are you using a wipe warmer? I was looking at some today on amazon, I've never used a warmer but it seems like a good way to store the wipes.
I always use a spray bottle of water and wipe solution and just spray each wipe as needed, but I know some people that use the wipes warmer. It's just preference. And as far as how many, I always have had 40 for one child...and it's WAY to many, but I'd rather have too many than too few!

Nina, your stash looks awesome!!!!! I LOVE prefolds!
September 20th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Pageturner
I have heard the wipe warmer has a tendency to cause mildew. Of course I don't know from experience. I've heard from many CDing moms that the spray method is easier.
September 20th, 2012, 06:56 PM
LucilleTwo's Avatar Andrea, mama to L & E
Nice!

September 20th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan P View Post
I have heard the wipe warmer has a tendency to cause mildew. Of course I don't know from experience. I've heard from many CDing moms that the spray method is easier.
I have heard that too, I honestly just spent over an hour reading reviews and I think I will buy a cloth diaper wipe warmer and use a cloth wipe solution that includes tea tree oil which is a natural disinfectant. I will change the wipe box out every other day, and I will use a spray bottle for when we go out as I can see how travel wipes could sit around for too long in wetness.

Anyway, love your stash...again!
September 21st, 2012, 02:22 AM
CrunchyChristian
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenpie View Post
I have heard that too, I honestly just spent over an hour reading reviews and I think I will buy a cloth diaper wipe warmer and use a cloth wipe solution that includes tea tree oil which is a natural disinfectant. I will change the wipe box out every other day, and I will use a spray bottle for when we go out as I can see how travel wipes could sit around for too long in wetness.

Anyway, love your stash...again!
Let me know how that works out. We've never done the wipes warmer because of mildew, but if you find you have luck with that, I'd love to give it a try as well!
September 21st, 2012, 03:18 AM
Yeah let me know as well, please!! I'm not going to use one just because of the mildew issue, but maybe the tea tree oil will prevent that? Kristen, did you decide on a solution yet? I bought the "homestead diaper wipes companion" concentrate and I also want to try the one that Crunchy is using; she had pmed me the link a while ago. I need to get that ordered. It's patchouli scented; my favorite!!

Another good sounding idea that I came across is putting a pump thermos with warm water by the changing table and squirting a little of that on the wipes. Supposedly it stays warm in there for 2 days.
Oh and which wipes warmer did you get, Kristen?

September 21st, 2012, 05:30 AM
mommacache's Avatar Super Mommy
Nice stash! I should take a pic of mine (I finally have everything for the newborn stage).

For wipes I just use baby wash cloths. Before I change the dipe I grab a few and wet them down in the bathroom sink. Works well and no mildew. When I'm out and about I just use disposable wipes (by the way, they can go through the wash without shredding).

September 21st, 2012, 07:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
way to go Nina! I could never do cloth diapers, the thought of it grosses me out lol and we don't have a diaper cleaning service nearby. But at least we'll do the Gdiapers, that counts for something, right?!

Can't wait to hear how you're liking CD Emmelyn

my little love bug Savina Celestiale arrived 10/16/12 measuring 6lb 5oz, 20 inches
September 21st, 2012, 07:52 AM
CrunchyChristian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav View Post
way to go Nina! I could never do cloth diapers, the thought of it grosses me out lol and we don't have a diaper cleaning service nearby. But at least we'll do the Gdiapers, that counts for something, right?!

Can't wait to hear how you're liking CD Emmelyn
Gdiapers are still cloth diapers, IMO!

Nina, I just got the wipes solution in the mail a day before Chloe arrived. Remember I told you how people said it was overwhelmingly patchouli scented? I can't smell much of that...I smell the balasm fir and the lavendar much more. I still like it, but just to warn you that it doesn't seem to be very patchouli. I'm going to order the Homestead stuff, too, because I really like that one.
September 21st, 2012, 07:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyChristian View Post
Gdiapers are still cloth diapers, IMO!
aw, that's nice of you to say I don't know much about cloth diapering, but with Gdiapers I can at least throw away the inserts

my little love bug Savina Celestiale arrived 10/16/12 measuring 6lb 5oz, 20 inches
September 21st, 2012, 08:00 AM
Pageturner
This is reminding me that i still need to buy wetbags and pail liners. lol.
September 21st, 2012, 08:30 AM
The wipe warmer I got is this: Amazon.com: Prince Lionheart Warmies Wipes Warmer: Baby
And the solution I'm going to try is this:
Baby Bum Drops Wipes Solution

inspired by Cloth Wipes and a Wipes Warmer - YouTube

It appears that the mildew issue happens when you don't change and clean the box every few days. The box will only hold maybe a days worth of wipes for 2 children, so it will get refilled often, I don't see it becoming an issue. I'll spray it with a vinegar solution between changes too. I'm not sure why people would leave cloth wipes in a warmer for more than 2 days... I guess if they have numerous boxes in different rooms in the house...

I ordered the California Baby bottom cleaner spray to stick in the diaper bag, I'll just throw in dry wipes and do the spray method when we are out. But from what I've read, moms seem to prefer pre-wet wipes so that's what I'm going with.

I heard good things about using a peri bottle too, instead of a spray bottle. It gets the wipe saturated quicker.
CrunchyChristian likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search