Are you cooking and freezing meals?

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Pageturner
  • 1 Post By Mollyjayne

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 27th, 2012, 06:55 AM
ellinj0206's Avatar Mom to Alexandra Jane
Send a message via Skype™ to ellinj0206
I've been reading a lot about cooking and freezing meals...at least to have a few things stored up to make life easier!

Have you started doing this? What are you cooking and freezing? What are you using for the storage containers?

Thank you!

El

September 27th, 2012, 07:12 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No I'm not. DH will be taking about 2 weeks off and I'll have my Mom here for a bit too. DH especially is a great cook.

We live with dh's parents but neither of them cook.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

September 27th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Pageturner
I might cook a couple of dishes ahead of time, like maybe a mac n cheese dish. I also want to get the frozen veggie lasagna with alfredo sauce, I think it's stouffers. But DH's mom will be helping a lot so i'm sure she will do some cooking too, and my dad probably will.
Mollyjayne likes this.
September 27th, 2012, 07:31 AM
mandattu_02's Avatar Mom to 2 beautiful babies
We cooked and froze ahead of time with Ryan and didn't use half of what we stored. My mom stayed with us for 2 weeks and was cooking for us and then after that, Manuel or I did all the cooking. This time, we're not cooking & storing anything.

**Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!**

September 27th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Mollyjayne's Avatar Super Mommy
I want that frozen lasagna too!!
Pageturner likes this.
September 27th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Veteran
Not this time, we have a whole beef in our upright freezer, so there's no room. Also, my mom will come and stay for a bit to help us. After she leaves, the meals ministry at our church will take over for a bit. We are so blessed!
September 27th, 2012, 08:01 AM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes!!! I've made a few things, some meatballs, some soup, and my mom has made several things for us =) Meatloaf, soups, a lasagna, etc.... My hubby is an AWFUL cook, my mom is popping in and out and my MIL bless her heart, THINKS she can cook, but I'm not a fan of canned and pre made boxed foods, I just can't do it LOL I bet when I'm sooo tired that I wont care what the heck I'm eating though!

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
September 27th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Jill---what have you used to store the items? Are you using regular plastic containers, zip-lock bags, or something else? I made some chili last night, have lots of leftovers and it dawned on me it may be something worth freezing, but I don't want to have it get freezer burned and gross.

September 27th, 2012, 08:50 AM
kathleenbean108's Avatar Pregnant with baby #3
My SO cannot cook, so I plan on making a bunch of crockpot meals and putting in ziplocks so all he or the nanny have to do is pour it into the crockpot. Maybe I will do that this weekend since its the 2 day break I get before the next semester starts up. No rest for the wicked.

Robert Thomas

Rachel Marie

Drayana Abigail

Gabriel Andrew
September 27th, 2012, 09:04 AM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it's easier to store in freezer zip locks, plastic ware takes a lot of freezer space

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
September 27th, 2012, 09:12 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
No, I'm not doing any cooking. Our Bible study group from church is planning to do meal delivery, and I know that my Mom and MIL will most likely be bringing us food too. We will stock up on some easy frozen pasta/dinner type dishes from Trader Joes, but aside from that, I don't plan on doing any extra prep.

September 27th, 2012, 09:40 AM
kaylarayne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't plan to cook anything ahead. I will just continue to do as I am doing now. It may have been a smart idea to do so, but I will just plan to cook each night. As long as I plan a menu and then shop for my needed items (I do 2 weeks at a time) I think it will work out ok.

September 27th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Peytonsmomma
i dont plan on cooking beforehand and storing it, i was thinking about it, but i was up and cooking a few days afterwards, plus my SO can cook and his mom is coming for 2 weeks, so she will be cooking, but i have been stocking up up on household products and making things homemade, like homemade cleaners and laundry detergent
September 27th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Super Mommy
I have our freezer stocked! :-) I did some soups, beef stew, chicken pot pies, chilli - those are ready to just reheat. Then I put together the ingredients all chopped and prepped for some slow cooker meals that will just need to be tossed in and cooked. We just have a tiny freezer, I wish we had a free standing one so I could do more, but I'm super happy to have this much done. I used a mix of lidded containers and ziplock bags.
September 27th, 2012, 12:19 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
that's another thing. My FIL does all the grocery shopping and there is literally no room in there for anything--he constantly overbuys

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

September 27th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Ohhhhh...like the idea of putting together a few crock pot mixes just to throw in. I got a few flat plastic (freezer friendly) containers today and have oodles of zip lock freezer bags. Think I might freeze a few items just to have the first couple of nights taken care of.

Thanks for the ideas, ladies!
El

September 27th, 2012, 12:29 PM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I cooked some but not a whole lot. My mom and aunt will probably take over the cooking; my mom does some of it right now anyway. I have most of the main ingredients ready; chicken, fish or meat is grilled or fried and veggies are prepped and frozen so they can just mix it all up and heat as needed. So, just no shopping for a while apart from milk and everyweek stuff like that.

Sisters, friends forever
September 27th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We're gonna be at my mom's so I wouldn't do too much but I don't want some stuff that hubs can throw together while Mom's at work and he's still on baby leave.
September 27th, 2012, 01:12 PM
AltMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have no room in the freezer

Which really sucks because Brandon doesn't know the first thing about cooking (As in I'd be proud if he made a proper grilled cheese lol) And I only think my mom is going to stay with me the first day after he is born.. Which I'm actually pretty sad about. I guess Ill be eating like crap for a while until I have the energy to cook for myself again.

September 27th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
we were planning to but don't think we'll get around to it... my mom will come Oct. 21 for three weeks anyway, so she can help cook

my little love bug Savina Celestiale arrived 10/16/12 measuring 6lb 5oz, 20 inches

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search