What is a reasonable price to charge...?

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kathleenbean108
  • 1 Post By doremi

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 27th, 2012, 09:56 AM
1InSummerland's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH's cousin just finished AIT and is going to be stationed at the same base that we are currently at. She is a newly single (her husband left her while she was in training) mom of a little boy (3 or 4 years old) and a PV1 (E-1). Since I will be staying home with Jude, I offered to watch her son for her but neither of us are sure what is a reasonable amount to charge for watching him. Obviously, anything is more than I am making now but I don't want to undercharge. At the same time, the whole point is for both of us to benefit from the arrangement so I don't want to ask too much because she only benefits if she is saving money - and will still have to find a backup sitter for when I have a long drill or other military obligation.

Anyway, according to DH, the childcare facility on post charges $500/month plus additional fees for dropping your kid off early or picking them up late.

I was considering asking somewhere between $75-$100/week ($15-$20/day) with no extra charge for early or late drop offs. Is that reasonable for both of us? She'd be dropping him off around 6 a.m. (before PT) and picking him up around 5 p.m.

Thank you, Bokkechick, for my beautiful siggy.
Group Leader for Face2 Face Fort Lee and Richmond Area.
Check out my blog! :-) and my blog for Jude.

September 27th, 2012, 10:53 AM
kathleenbean108's Avatar Pregnant with baby #3
The base daycares charge by rank/rate. So it is different for everyone. I was paying almost 3 times as much as some of my minions. I think daycare prices vary by location for civilan care. I would call around and see what the going rate for inhome care were, and adjust off that since youre not licensed and not claiming on taxes (assumptions of course).
yashobo likes this.

Robert Thomas

Rachel Marie

Drayana Abigail

Gabriel Andrew
September 27th, 2012, 11:05 AM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah I agree with Kathleen that you should make your price comparable to the family daycare rather than the daycare center but also make it to be a bit cheaper to benefit her.

Sisters, friends forever
September 27th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I will pay $615/month for my lo to start daycare next summer. So I guess that's about $135/week?

September 27th, 2012, 11:56 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Honestly, I think your proposed rate is MORE than fair. The few times I have hired someone who has professional nanny experience (also a friend of ours) to watch Josiah for a few hours, the rate has been $15/hr. I agree that you should find out the going rate of in-home daycares in your area before setting your price.
abur likes this.

September 27th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to momopotamus Send a message via MSN to momopotamus
I agree with Sarah. I pay my babysitter $120 a week for 5.5 hours per day. and that's considered "cheap"

TTC #4 since 9/2013 150mg Clomid BFP 5/22/14! Stick Bean Stick!
We have a heartbeat :-) EDD 1/31/15!

September 27th, 2012, 12:40 PM
AltMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think your proposed rate is actually REALLY cheap. I know you want to help her out, but also benefit from it yourself... I would probably up it to around 200 a week. Even that is still a great deal! I'm betting that nobody else would be able to watch her child eleven hours a day for only 40 bucks. So I think thatd still be benefiting her, and at least you wouldn't be ripping yourself off yaknow?

September 27th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Kansascity kitty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
100 a week sounds fair to me now if it were a toddler then that would be different. If he is well behaved then 100 is good to me. I pay 165 per week for Sophie!

September 27th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Kansascity kitty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Another way of doing it is calling around to daycares and asking to get a idea of what they would charge. Because if it is a ridiculous amount anyone would do daycare instead (not meaning u but just to put it out there).

September 27th, 2012, 06:04 PM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think daycare prices varies so much by where you live which is why I suggested finding out not just daycare prices but also family daycare prices. Because if she decides to take her child there instead it will also be your loss moneywise (although'll have less work to do). Daycare here is about $150/week and its from 7am to 6pm; you can claim it on your tax, and they have liability insurance, and "trained" staff; so offers some advantage that may not be offered in a informal arrangement. On the other hand, it ranges from $65 to $85 per day where we live in aussie!

Sisters, friends forever

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search