GBS+ in previous pregnancy, but not current?

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ShawnaCAN

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2012, 10:27 AM
Jinnah
Has anyone else been Group B Strep positive in a previous pregnancy, but not the current one? I was GBS+ during my first pregnancy 11 years ago, but not in any pregnancy after that one. I was treated, regardless, just because I requested it in the second and third pregnancies. I have a new doctor that does not treat based on past pregnancies and I can understand the reasoning why, but I have to admit it makes me a little nervous. How is this being handled for you?

Last edited by Jinnah; October 1st, 2012 at 12:56 PM.
October 1st, 2012, 12:41 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Even when GBS+, the risk of transmission to baby is low. Of babies that do get infected, only a rare number of them become fatally ill. The majority of them recover with no issues at all. I think treating for GBS when it's not even present is overkill, given how low the actual risk is for those who are GBS+. We all know how over-use of antibiotics is making them less effective for serious infections, so I really don't advocate using them unnecessarily.

I've never been positive, but if I am - my MW recommends using a Hibiclens douche to kill the GBS. The risk of baby becoming infected would be even lower for me because we're doing a waterbirth; baby gets a complete and immediate rinse at birth that way. Some women also add things like tea tree oil to their birth water to help kill any GBS that may be present.

You could always do some natural GBS remedies at home as a precaution if you are nervous. It would not be as invasive as doing the whole IV antibiotic routine when it isn't even necessary.
cuatx likes this.
October 1st, 2012, 12:59 PM
Jinnah
Thank you for the information. I need to stop worrying about every little thing. I was tested at 35 weeks. How long is that accurate for? I know that you can have it sometimes and not other times, so that is something I keep wondering about.

I do know what Hibiclens is, but I've never heard of douching with it. Any particular way to do it?
October 1st, 2012, 01:03 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The chance of developing GBS between 35 - 40 weeks is very, very low. I wouldn't worry about it!

As for the Hibiclens douche, I have no idea how one would do that - have never needed to!
October 1st, 2012, 01:09 PM
Jinnah
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnaCAN View Post
The chance of developing GBS between 35 - 40 weeks is very, very low. I wouldn't worry about it!

As for the Hibiclens douche, I have no idea how one would do that - have never needed to!
I think you are right that I don't need to worry. I'm trying not to, but I keep hearing all the horror stories. I was thinking about asking to be retested just to ease my mind, but I'm not sure if that is overboard, ya know?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search