Co-sleeping question!!!

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By verybusymomto4
  • 1 Post By Tiffany8620
  • 1 Post By bostoncreampie
  • 1 Post By doremi
  • 1 Post By ashley5
  • 1 Post By bryan and nina
  • 1 Post By bostoncreampie

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2012, 11:49 AM
AltMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So we have 99 percent of everything we need for Ares finally, which is a huge relief! But now I'm down to the last "big" item. For the life of me I can't decide if a co-sleeper is worth the money! I know I will be having him in bed with me anyways. Just not sure if the co-sleeper would be a huge help or just a waste of money and/or space. I don't have a ton of room in my bedroom for anything extra so I only want to get it if it's really worth it.

Anybody have any personal experience they can share? Anybody buy it and regret it? Or did everyone find it useful? Thanks!!

Oh and if you didn't use a co-sleeper,what did you do to make co-sleeping work for you and a newborn?

October 1st, 2012, 11:57 AM
Regular
Ok, there are a couple of different co sleepers. One is the one that you push up against your bed beside you.
I have a co sleeper that lays in the bed with me. I have this one:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Dr3YNV7OXv...0/s400/bed.jpg
Hopefully that link will work. I like those better then the other co sleeper that go beside your bed. The one I have it folds up easy and i can take it with me. With my last girls, i never used one, and it worked out great. Baby was in the middle and when it was nap time I put pillows around her.
AltMommy likes this.

Last edited by verybusymomto4; October 1st, 2012 at 11:59 AM.
October 1st, 2012, 11:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I borrowed my sister's Arms Reach Co-Sleeper with DS, but we didn't really use it. We tried, but DS ended up bed sharing for 10 months instead. This time around we have a Rock and Play sleeper, which Eve is supposed to sleep in...um...yeah...after trying to get her settled in there for an hour her first night home, I finally snuggled her up to me in bed and we both slept great. The Rock and Play is now what she sleeps in during the day and at night she sleeps next to me in bed. I guess for us, we could have skipped any type of co-sleeper. Although, like I said, she naps great in the Rock and Play.
We don't use any type of bed sharing device. I go without covers above my waist and sleep on the very corner of my pillow. We have a big bed and a firm mattress. Eve sleeps toward the middle of the bed. I find that I don't move in my sleep when I know baby is there.
AltMommy likes this.
October 1st, 2012, 12:04 PM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
With both of my kids I had them right in bed with me. My son slept right on my chest and my daughter was just beside me. I kind of craddled her in my arms as I slept on my side..no pillows around her. It was a huge bed she wasn't going to roll anywhere. I won't have this baby in bed with us though. He will either be in his PNP or his SnugaBunny Rock and Play.

October 1st, 2012, 12:08 PM
Lindre's Avatar Daydreaming mommy!
I never did use a co-sleeper so I can't comment on that.

I was dead set on not co-sleeping as I am "the most restless sleeper" in the entire world according to DH, but with the lack of sleep I caved in, and I have to say it was the best decision I made. Amazingly enough I never even moved a muscle while sleeping next to my daughter. I think we're just instinctively aware. I just made sure there were no extra pillows or blankets, my blanket was only waist high and the sheets were always firmly tucked in with no crevices. As nervous as I was it only took a couple of hours before that was forgotten and I got comfortable. I can't wait to have another little one to snuggle with

October 1st, 2012, 12:10 PM
Veteran
I didn't co-sleep much. We had a cradle in the bedroom that we used until DD was ready to move to her own room. However, for those times she did sleep in bed, I put her in the middle and used my boppy as a barrier around her so I didn't roll over on her.
October 1st, 2012, 12:27 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We had one that went in the bed, big waste of money. Baby sleeps on my chest for the first couple months and then next to me (between me and dh) after that.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

October 1st, 2012, 01:03 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
It's worth it in my opinion, but not new. Definitely used. I pulled mine out today to set up and it was all moldy! It must have gotten wet in the shed. So I looked on CL and am picking up another used one tonight. You are a single mama though so maybe you can get away without it, but I like my space. If you don't get one, definitely get some sort of rail.

Eta: talking about the arms reach cosleeper.
bryan and nina likes this.
October 1st, 2012, 01:17 PM
CrunchyChristian
We never used one. We always have our babies in bed with us. If you get one, I agree with Kristen- get one used. And since it will just be you and Ares in bed, I don't even know if it's worth it...
October 1st, 2012, 01:17 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
If I had it to do over again, I'd buy the full sized arms reach co-sleeper if you have the room for it. The nice thing about having it is that if at naptime you don't want to leave them in the bed unattended, you have someplace secure to put them. We had a regular bassinet that essentially acted like a co-sleeper, because it was exactly the same height as our bed. Josiah hated it, but I'm hoping this baby will like it better!! We also bought this, which has been a great investment for us, because it is way easier to transport when going to grandma's house, etc. Several of our friends have borrowed it for camping excursions, and we used it a ton when Josiah was younger. When he was really tiny, we used it in our bed as a co-sleeper. Amazon.com: Leachco Nap 'N Pack 4 in 1 Anywhere Bed, Black with Khaki Sheet: Baby

October 1st, 2012, 05:09 PM
zubeldia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We never used one with DS - just a snug nest in bed for the first month or so (and even then we took him out of it for most of the night). We may end up getting one this time as our 3 year old still is in bed with us (which we love) so we're planning on using a Moses basket we had for DS (never used ) and for me to play musical beds and take the baby to the spare room if he's not happy in the Moses basket. I LOVE LOVE cosleeping and I will admit that I didn't think that I would

rafi and charlie by zubeldia36, on Flickr
October 1st, 2012, 05:25 PM
Regular
Co sleeping is awesome! My DH told me not to buy the one I did cause I wont use it Sure he is more then likely right, he will snuggled up with me, but I got it for $10,still in the box, the people never used it. I thought it would be great since my girls want to help out with the baby, i can put him down for a nap in the sleeper while i shower and they can keep an eye on him w/o me having to worry if they are leaning to far or putting to much pressure on the bed when they check on him, does that make sense or do you yall think I am being parnoid?
October 1st, 2012, 05:31 PM
ashley5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm using the co-sleeper right now the arms reach full size and love it! I didn't use one with my daughter and wished I had. Its so nice safe convenient, I' love them.
October 1st, 2012, 10:10 PM
I'm all about buying used stuff and getting a good deal. But buying used bedding kinda freaks me out I must admit... Do the co-sleepers disassemble into washable pieces? Not sure how that exactly works. But if I can clean the crap out of it I'll definitely buy a used one!

October 2nd, 2012, 07:39 AM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
I'm the same way Leanna; I did NOT want to buy it used for the longest time because it freaked me out... but I think if you ask for pictures and check that it's well taken care of, it will be fine. Ours came from a couple about our age and you could tell they were very clean and took great care of it! They even still had the manual with it... Unfortunately it doesn't really come in "washable" pieces, I think, but obviously we got new sheets for it and I washed those, so I think it will be fine.
If you decide to go with the full size arm's reach (that's what we got), these sheets from amazon got great reviews and that's what I put on our mattress:
Amazon.com: American Baby Company Organic Interlock Pack N Play Sheet: Baby

The price of a new vs used co sleeper is definitely a no brainer, for us at least. I think I got ours for $50 and new the full size is close to $200!
AltMommy likes this.

October 2nd, 2012, 08:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
we got a snuggle nest for inside the bed for about 50 or 60 dollars new at BRU
we tested sleeping with it in our queen bed one night, with a doll in the nest, cuz DH was concerned he would roll over baby and/or not be able to handle it well with the space restriction on him.
he actually didn't sleep very well that night, but not sure if it was because of that or not. we'll have to see how it goes, I'm really curious

my little love bug Savina Celestiale arrived 10/16/12 measuring 6lb 5oz, 20 inches
October 2nd, 2012, 01:50 PM
the fabric is all washable. the mattress is not, but its like a playpen mattress so it can be sprayed with something and wiped down. i bought a mattress cover for ours too.
AltMommy likes this.
October 2nd, 2012, 06:14 PM
Okay, you guys convinced me! I'm looking at craigs list right now...

Seems like all I see is the mini though. Do you think it's still worth it to buy one of those?

October 2nd, 2012, 06:38 PM
i've never seen a mini. the standard is a good size though. i would wait.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search