Checking for dilation yourself

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree16Likes
  • 5 Post By doremi
  • 1 Post By kristap4
  • 1 Post By bostoncreampie
  • 2 Post By J3nn78
  • 1 Post By AltMommy
  • 1 Post By doremi
  • 1 Post By delaney24

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2012, 10:36 PM
AltMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Anyone do this? I'm really wanting to learn how, since I am refusing the checks at my appointments. It's not that I'm super modest or anything... I just hate when they are so rough down there AND there isn't a medical need for them to know anyways! So anyhoo... How can you tell if you are effaced or dilated??

October 1st, 2012, 10:55 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I have tried to check mine before, but honestly, I would rather my doctor do it, for the same reasons cuatx mentioned. The risk of infection would be just as high with me doing it, and my accuracy in determining my progress is probably WAY less than my OB's who has been doing it for 20 years!

October 1st, 2012, 11:27 PM
Well, I tried. Key word TRIED. Lol.

I couldn't feel anything. I have no idea if my fingers could even reach my cervix. But uhh... I couldn't tell the difference between anything in there. All felt the same!! I guess I'm just super lame

October 2nd, 2012, 03:47 AM
LoverlyJules's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think I'd be able to tell either! Guess I'll just be waiting until I'm in labor!

October 2nd, 2012, 04:12 AM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
I checked my cervix when I was still TTC and it took me a while to figure out exactly where it was and what I was feeling. It's kind of a donut shaped thing, way in there. lol. I'd honestly be cautious trying to check it yourself... That sounds like it could be more dangerous than having your doctor check it.

October 2nd, 2012, 04:30 AM
kristap4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to kristap4
I have tried to check myself, but couldn't really reach anything because of my big belly. I figure my hands are much cleaner with less "bacteria" than my husband when we have sex so i'm not worried that much about infection unless my water breaks then of course i won't be....
AltMommy likes this.
October 2nd, 2012, 05:10 AM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In cant reach either.

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
October 2nd, 2012, 05:19 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I do. A lot of midwives recommend you do it so you learn your own body. My midwives had me do my own strep test last week. It's more empowering when you do yourself.

I decline medical checks but occasionally check myself because I like being in tune with my body as well as feeling the changes my body makes in pregnancy. It's interesting to feel myself changing after having lots of cramps, as well as her head. The whole process is fascinating and its my body so why shouldn't I be able to understand it fully.

I always wash my hands and am forceful. If it's not right there, I leave it. I don't stick my finger in my cervix at all, I just feel with my finger tip.

I'm used to this as I was doing natural family planning to conceive.
AltMommy likes this.
October 2nd, 2012, 05:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I checked myself in labour with Elias, but I haven't checked anything this pregnancy. I'm 37.5 weeks, and honestly am not concerned about dialation/effacement yet. Plus, risk of infection etc is there by introducing the bacteria. We will definitely decline checks if my water has broken.
October 2nd, 2012, 07:26 AM
CrunchyChristian
I checked mine, but in all honesty dilation means nothing. The night I went into labor with this baby I was at a zero at 5 and when I got to the hospital a few hours later I was a 4.

With my second I remember being a zero and then two hours later at the hospital (contractions had started right before we left for the hospital, so maybe an hour after I had checked) I was at a 7.
October 2nd, 2012, 07:45 AM
kaylarayne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I check myself periodically. My cervix is super high and hard to reach though so I can only feel it sometimes. I haven't really checked for dilation as much as I have for thinning as I know I am at a 3 but still pretty thick.

October 2nd, 2012, 08:37 AM
I check myself too. But, this time I have been Having funneling dilation. At the bottom I am 2 more cms than the top. At least as of last week, that was still the case. Anyway, I cannot reach any further than the bottom, so I don't know if the uper portion has changed.
How do you check for effacement?

I am not worried about infection. I think tht is silly. I wash my hands before I check. I don't make my husband wash his penis before sex and that would pose more of an infection risk.
delaney24 and AltMommy like this.
October 2nd, 2012, 09:23 AM
kaylarayne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just check to see how thick I still am really. I am no doctor so I cannot be certain but I have definitely noticed a change in how thick it is. Before I had started to dilate it was soft but not too soft and it was pretty thick...now I am at a 3 (which I cannot reach, that is just the Dr. telling me) but my cervic is definitely much thinner and MUCH softer. My cervix likes to face up and to the side. Dr. usually has to get in there and then tug on it so she can see how dilated I am and all I can say is OUCH!!!

October 2nd, 2012, 10:49 AM
I checked last night, and my guess is that I am 1.5-2 cm dilated, but I could be TOTALLY wrong!!!

October 2nd, 2012, 10:56 AM
Mrs.Paradise's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I tried finding my cervix... yeah that didnt work out to great! lol so Im just leaving it alone... I might have my midwife check me at my next appointment... we shall see what happens!
October 2nd, 2012, 12:41 PM
I'm not concerned about giving myself an infection at all. I mean, I wash my hands before hand and it is my body after all. So I'm just exposing myself to my own germs. I agree with the having sex thing... If someone else can stick their penis in there just fine then I'm not too worried about checking myself with my clean fingers!!!!! LOL.

I just want to be more in tuned with my body. And I'd much rather learn how to do it myself than have a doctor have to do it for me. After working in a hospital all day around who knows what kind of germs, yaknow? I just might be over paranoid. But I still don't like the idea of someone sticking their fingers in my hoo-ha when their really is no benefit to me
bostoncreampie likes this.

October 2nd, 2012, 01:00 PM
It totally depends on the dr. too whether it is super unpleasant or totally fine when they check you. My current OB is really gentle, but I have had some in the past who were really rough!
Peytonsmomma likes this.

October 2nd, 2012, 07:51 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sure, I have no problem checking myself once in awhile. My cervix is really hard to reach though (high and tilted far back), and always seem to be that way until labour is well in progress. Even when I have had internal checks in the past, during late pregnancy, my caregivers have said it's really hard to reach. That may account for why I hate internals so much that I decline them, you almost need to put a whole arm in to find it! LOL
October 2nd, 2012, 08:47 PM
Jinnah
I've never checked and never will! I wouldn't know what I was doing, anyway, and I'd be worried about infections or doing something wrong. I'm comfortable with my doctor, so I just leave that to him.
October 2nd, 2012, 09:30 PM
delaney24's Avatar Super Mommy
I have checked myself about twice a week for a few weeks, just out of curiosity, and after pains/symptoms to see if they have 'meant' anything, because that makes me feel more in tune with my body. It was really empowering to have a day of sharp shooting cervix pains, only to check myself that evening & find I was 1cm dilated (totally closed the day before). Kind of gave me a sense of what my body was up to, and how some sensations are related to cervical changes & others aren't (baby's head grinding down there, etc).

I agree with what a few people have said about infection. I *thoroughly* wash my hands of course, but I agree that during sex penises & men's fingers are far dirtier, usually without any problems, so I do not worry too much.

I only check the outer OS, I don't (and probably couldn't...too far back...) stick my finger up there, and I know I'm having funneling dilation too. The outer OS feels at least 3cm, but every time my OB checks he says I'm 1cm (at the interior part where baby's head is).

I do plan to check myself during labor if I'm physically able to, waters haven't broken & I'm not in too much pain. Again, I know it doesn't really tell me anything as I might be 5cm & stay that way for hours, or shoot right up to 9cm within an hour of that, but curiosity gets the better of me, and for whatever reason it makes me comfortable to have information about where my body is at.
AltMommy likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search